Hawkins defense has really improved | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hawkins defense has really improved

Reaction Score
The dribbler blew by him a few times last night but definitely improvement.
This is what I meant by the combination of a lack of anticipation and lateral quickness. He doesn't have the lateral quickness to make up for a lack of anticipation. I'm not saying his lateral quickness is bad, but not good enough to make up for his anticipation issues. Defenders blow by him way too often or he fails to take the correct angle, the latter partially due to his lack of strength (he just gets out-muscled). He did manage I think 2 blocks yesterday to make up for that, so he's at least learning that from his expert-at-blocking teammates.

I think he will see a ridiculous improvement next season. You can see things slowly starting to click for him.

Reaction Score
I saw improvement from Hawkins but I guess I need to watch again and I may just do that. I noticed effort and rotation that was smoother than other games, but the couple of times I focused on his defense he hadn't cut down a passing angle, anticipated the movement of the opponent, or stayed in front of his man. On certain Marquette scores by open players, it seemed to me he was the most likely culprit allowing the guy to be open. Based on the observations in this thread, I guess I'm not giving him his due. (I did think he played much better D).

As an aside, Jackson was all over the court challenging shots and made that steal in the last minute than put the game away. Last year as a freshman he was racking up fouls and couldn't stay in the game being that aggressive. I give him and the staff credit for learning how to play so hard without fouling. I think that is a real important improvement he has made.

Given the effort he is showing on that side of the ball, I expect defense will be an area Hawkins improves big time as he gains strength and savvy
I think these 2 guys really show how Hurley teaches man to man defense.

The techniques I saw from Hawkins last night are the same I started seeing in Jackson by the middle of his freshmen season. You could see them start sliding their feet and using their chests to wall off the driver, instead of hands/arms. I don't know if Hurley makes them run laps if they use their hands in practice, but they both were aggressively keeping their hands behind themselves. They were still often not anticipating a drive and their man might get a step, but sometimes they were able to deter the offensive player with their bodies.

Refs are definitely less likely to call a foul if you don't use your hands, but even then it wasn't always effective for Jackson, as he was so aggressive with his chest that he'd get called for bumping and crowding guys a few times a game last year. This year he plays a bit more freely but has also greatly cut down his fouls (foul rate more than halved).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I can live with Hawkins defensive liabilities if he continues to hit open threes. If he can consistently score 8-10 points a game we will be a very tough out.
But it's OK if he keeps D-ing up like that. He was great at not sticking his hands in there.

Reaction Score
Hawkins- it’s a total crapshoot when he’s handling the ball but I’m glad he’s playing with more confidence. Smooth stroke.

Reaction Score
I thought Hawkins had his best game last night on defense by far this season. You are seeing the first hand the improvement on a game-by-game basis. I think the difference at least I saw last night is he started taking pride in his defense. Getting as excited on contributing to big stop as he would on a made 3.

Also, worth noting that he's had 13 rebounds his last 3 games...he had 13 rebounds in his previous 12 games! Clearly making the extra effort on the non-scoring aspects of his game, which in theory will open up his tremendous offensive skillset which we have seen flashes of.

Reaction Score
I thought Hawkins had his best game last night on defense by far this season. You are seeing the first hand the improvement on a game-by-game basis. I think the difference at least I saw last night is he started taking pride in his defense. Getting as excited on contributing to big stop as he would on a made 3.

Also, worth noting that he's had 13 rebounds his last 3 games...he had 13 rebounds in his previous 12 games! Clearly making the extra effort on the non-scoring aspects of his game, which in theory will open up his tremendous offensive skillset which we have seen flashes of.
He has been doing that for the last 4-5 games. I'm guessing Hurley has instilled in him that even if he is missing shots on the offensive side of the ball if he plays good and rebounds he will get minutes. This has seemed to work as he is athletic to compete on that side of the ball.

Reaction Score
Great to see for Hawk.. Those boards will be valuable come Tournament time . Glad he's starting to take after AJ/TM vs Tyler on the boards.. LOL

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I could see the difference in his composure last night. It remains the case that progress is not linear, but you can literally see his development into a more complete and confident player almost every time he runs up and down the court.

I still feel like Hurley takes him out too soon after he does good things and doesn't let him ride a wave of good play for longer periods. If he had half the leash that AJax has I think he would be more fully developed by now, but the recent defensive improvement may be the key to extending his leash.

Reaction Score
I could see the difference in his composure last night. It remains the case that progress is not linear, but you can literally see his development into a more complete and confident player almost every time he runs up and down the court.

I still feel like Hurley takes him out too soon after he does good things and doesn't let him ride a wave of good play for longer periods. If he had half the leash that AJax has I think he would be more fully developed by now, but the recent defensive improvement may be the key to extending his leash.
To Hurley's credit, it is readily apparent that Hawkins has improved in many ways. He is definitely staying in front of his man much better on defense, he is crashing the boards, he is looking for his shot, and even his confidence with the ball seems a bit better.

When this kid really gets his confidence, that jump shot is going to be deadly. I'm guessing next year is when we will see that.

Reaction Score

I seem to recall that Hurley had a shorter leash on AJ last year as a frosh than he does with Hawkins.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
The sequence last night where he played 1on1 D for like 15 seconds straight and made the guy he was defending throw a cross court pass out of bounds was maybe the play of the night for me. Hawk and Hurley were both amped.
Same!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

Ajax did not have a very long leash as a freshman, either.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I seem to recall that Hurley had a shorter leash on AJ last year as a frosh than he does with Hawkins.

Ajax did not have a very long leash as a freshman, either.
That's true and a fair point, but I guess my point of reference were the preseason reports I heard, from people in a better position to know, that Hawkins and AJax were both in contention for a starting spot this season, until Hawkins had the ankle injury. And we need what Hawkins has to offer this season more desperately than we needed AJax last season.

Reaction Score
He has certainly improved defensively, despite some ups and downs his shot is pure and will eventually be depended upon to make. my observations are that he seems to play TOO FAST, every motion and move is performed with such a swift, almost jerky motion. this results in my nickname for him TOM ( Turn Over Machine ). Once this game slows down for him ( it will ) , he should be fine, but now he is TOM Hawkins to me.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He has certainly improved defensively, despite some ups and downs his shot is pure and will eventually be depended upon to make. my observations are that he seems to play TOO FAST, every motion and move is performed with such a swift, almost jerky motion. this results in my nickname for him TOM ( Turn Over Machine ). Once this game slows down for him ( it will ) , he should be fine, but now he is TOM Hawkins to me.
I think confirmation bias is very strong with Hawkins.

He had no turnovers last night.

Reaction Score
Great to see Hawk grab a few defensive boards and start to dribble up court ala AJax.. Confidence is growing every game -esp. with ball in his hands. Provides DH with a lot of rotational flexibility if he can continue to build on being reliable with the ball. His shot is money once he's got his footwork set.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
No doubt that everyone was please with Hawkins scoring, but what really stuck out to me was his defense. He played stronger, bodying-up his man and fighting for loose balls and rebounds. While he was much was much more aggressive overall, I like how he anticipated where the opposing player was going, and beat him to the spot.
100% correct

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom