OT: Havlicek passed away tonight. | The Boneyard

OT: Havlicek passed away tonight.

Reaction Score
Ohhhhhhhhhh, man, sorry to hear this. Havlicek had such basketball IQ, I'll remember him for this.

Reaction Score
My brother was his neighbor... Very nice guy.

Hondo was my childhood sports hero. Always considered #17 to be my lucky number. Was your brother a neighbor of his at the Cape?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My brother was his neighbor... Very nice guy.

Real nice guy.
My moms best friend dated him through college. They stayed in touch for the rest of their lives and he would show up at their family events. A true gentleman. And I was a knick fan.

Reaction Score
Saw him play at the Boston Garden against the Knicks in 1976. Celts had JoJo White, Charlie Scott on the team. Knicks had Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe, Spencer Haywood, Phil Jackson. Bill Bradley was injured and didn't play. Celts fans lit a Knicks banner on fire during the game.

Reaction Score
Hondo was my childhood sports hero. Always considered #17 to be my lucky number. Was your brother a neighbor of his at the Cape?

No, Jupiter, Fla. He lives across the street from him.

Reaction Score
Spent 3 days in a trade show booth with John in the 70's. Quiet but a really good guy. He was somewhat reserved but he showed up one morning a bit hung over. He had been out with his friend Detroit 1b Norm Cash and said he should have learned his lesson years ago not to go for drinks with Norm Cash who apparently was a wild man.
Great competitor and an all time great player.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Saw him play at the Boston Garden against the Knicks in 1976. Celts had JoJo White, Charlie Scott on the team. Knicks had Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe, Spencer Haywood, Phil Jackson. Bill Bradley was injured and didn't play. Celts fans lit a Knicks banner on fire during the game.

Yeah I go back a few years earlier, mostly same cast of players I grew up in NY/NJ and dad had season tickets for those great early 70's Knicks teams, I really hated the celtics, there were some wars. I never hated Havlicek though. Just something about him always with his countenance, even to a kid. Ill tell you who I hated. Dave freakin' Cowens. Big Red idiot.

Reaction Score
Great all around player who could run all game and never get tired. Watching some of the clips on Boston TV reminded me how smooth and effortless his game was. Deaths of some former sports stars/legends impact you more than others and this is one of them. RIP Hondo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom