Haven’t seen this mentioned about Hurley last night | The Boneyard

Haven’t seen this mentioned about Hurley last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He looked Jim Calhoun level pissed off at his team in the second half with their piss poor man defense in the second half. One timeout he did no Xs and Os and just lit into them. Y’all catch that?
My SO did. She asked me what was up with that? He's pissed, I said.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nothing angers a coach more than lazy D.
Despite the Naysayers we lost the heart of our D with Graduations, and Akok’s injury. That’s something Hurley is stressing and the reason why Jackson will be in the lineup.
And Calhoun’s emphasis on it permanently warped me:

IMO the best solution is to start with defense again. Whoever is playing the best defense stays on the floor, and those players will work out an offense.

Reaction Score
Then Bouk won’t see the floor.
Bouknight is trying to stay in front of his man and for the most part he does. He just doesn’t recover well enough to contest shots well. Bouknight doesn’t look like he’s having fun while playing. He’s always talking to himself and looking down at the court. He needs to just play hard and have fun.

Reaction Score
Then Bouk won’t see the floor.

AS LONG AS WE ARE ON THE CALHOUN STANDARD ...

Did Jim bench Rip for Defense ... Ray ...
There is a different conversation for some kids; some players HAVE to play D to just get minutes.

Reaction Score
Bouknight is trying to stay in front of his man and for the most part he does. He just doesn’t recover well enough to contest shots well. Bouknight doesn’t look like he’s having fun while playing. He’s always talking to himself and looking down at the court. He needs to just play hard and have fun.

I thought the same thing both games about Bouknight's demeanor. He almost looks like someone who doesn't like their job. No smiles, looking very serious, no joy.
Nothing like when RIP and KF would interact after a breakaway dunk and do their bows to each other. Come to think of it, there's been little to no apparent happiness or fun displayed by anyone.
Too many capable guys maybe worried about too few minutes to go around?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I thought the same thing both games about Bouknight's demeanor. He almost looks like someone who doesn't like their job. No smiles, looking very serious, no joy.
Nothing like when RIP and KF would interact after a breakaway dunk and do their bows to each other. Come to think of it, there's been little to no apparent happiness or fun displayed by anyone.
Not sure I'd read too much into that yet. He looked completely apathetic all of last season. I think it's just his demeanor. Did you see him celebrating after AJ's pass to Javonte for the dunk?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Cussing/undressing a player while the crowd was silent. Golden. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving 82.
I loved the floor stomp and then the dressing down while the crowd was quiet. Once you heard the stomp, you knew what was coming. I remember him doing that with Hilton Armstrong a few times. Also, the timeout immediately after a lazy play. Loved it

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Cussing/undressing a player while the crowd was silent. Golden. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving 82.

I did thanks for asking. Small but nice. I hope yours was good as well.

Reaction Score
I totally agree. There’s a ton of pressure on Bouknight. I hope he can just play like he is capable of and enjoy himself.

Reaction Score
Nothing like when RIP and KF would interact after a breakaway dunk and do their bows to each other.

they called him “Effortless James” for a reason in high school, he is just not a very demonstrative guy on the court. Just his personality. Not everyone is gonna dance and go nuts when they make a play.

C

Chief00

There is a different conversation for some kids; some players HAVE to play D to just get minutes.
Of course the answer is no, but Rip actually played pretty good defense for an offensive star.

Reaction Score
I really think this is simply the case of a very young man feeling the pressure of expectations, both internal and external. The "smooth" in his physical game will emerge in the mental game.

Think J. Lamb.

Reaction Score
Some players play better when they play angry. Whatever it takes to lock-in

Curiouser
Reaction Score

He gave Ray a very long leash. Khalid may have had the longest leash of any Calhoun player.

I do remember Rip getting flack for defensive lapses and Calhoun riding him hard about it in the press for a few weeks, during which Rip redoubled his defensive efforts and nicknamed himself “Clamps,” at least partly sarcastically.

Anyone else remember that?

Reaction Score
Nothing angers a coach more than lazy D.
Despite the Naysayers we lost the heart of our D with Graduations, and Akok’s injury. That’s something Hurley is stressing and the reason why Jackson will be in the lineup.
D is about focus and effort.. Moving your feet.. DH is looking for two way players to show up/emerge.. PT will not be given just because you can make buckets.. Big Boy BB next week.. DH is trying to raise their defensive intensity since they currently aren't displaying their own ability to do it themselves (immaturity)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99