Have you ever thought about | The Boneyard

Have you ever thought about

Reaction Score
the "Losers". I have followed this board for many years and when it was recruiting season, I have seen posters wishing specific recruits to join the UConn family and continue the winning tradition. Well, quite a few of the young women decided that their destiny would be better served in joining another program where they could excel and bring their particular team to greatness. Let's take two for example, Diamond DeShields and Aja Wilson. Both, were recruited by UConn and made a different choice. Look at the the number of Championship Rings that these young women could have had.

But, not everyone is suited for the UConn/Geno/Chris System. And, frankly, I am glad that some of them did not come as they would not benefit from the UConn System.

Who else made decisions to attend other schools and missed the opportunity for championships?

Reaction Score
One who comes to mind right away was Jane Appel of Stanford, UConn recruited her and she would have fit in really well there. Quality person and quality player.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I wish Diamond and Aja had come to Uconn so we wouldn't have to play two of our starters in the fourth quarter.lol

On the basis of SC's less than sterling performance this evening (at least in the 1st half I watched)
Our starters presence in the 4th quarter will not be mandatory.

Reaction Score
Sammarie Walker (She missed the opportunity for NC)
Kia Vaughn
Essence Carson (because Rutgers has a better Music dept than Uconn)
Courtney Paris
Jayne Appel
EDD
The older Samuelson sisters
Dr Elizabeth Williams
Abby Waner
Nneka and Chinney????

The following decided not to come here but won championship elsewhere

Nicky Anosike
Laura Harper and her Terrapin teammates

Reaction Score
I wish people would stop with this line of thinking. Players that choose other schools are not making mistakes or giving up opportunities for championships. If they had come to UConn even if it wasn't a good fit it is more likely they would have transferred and not won a championship anyway. And if they didn't transfer and we're unhappy they could have destroyed chemistry and prevented UConn from winning, or taken up a scholarship that would send one of our other players somewhere else. So the answer to your question is no one. UConn doesn't guarantee championships, the players earn them the same way they would at any other school.

Once they don't choose UConn I wish them well (but not too well) and forget about them.

Even our 3 transfers now made the right decision for them at the time, and even though things didn't work out the way they expected at those schools it was part of their journey

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I wish people would stop with this line of thinking. Players that choose other schools are not making mistakes or giving up opportunities for championships. If they had come to UConn even if it wasn't a good fit it is more likely they would have transferred and not won a championship anyway. And if they didn't transfer and we're unhappy they could have destroyed chemistry and prevented UConn from winning, or taken up a scholarship that would send one of our other players somewhere else. So the answer to your question is no one. UConn doesn't guarantee championships, the players earn them the same way they would at any other school.

Once they don't choose UConn I wish them well (but not too well) and forget about them.

Even our 3 transfers now made the right decision for them at the time, and even though things didn't work out the way they expected at those schools it was part of their journey
well said

Reaction Score
the "Losers". I have followed this board for many years and when it was recruiting season, I have seen posters wishing specific recruits to join the UConn family and continue the winning tradition. Well, quite a few of the young women decided that their destiny would be better served in joining another program where they could excel and bring their particular team to greatness. Let's take two for example, Diamond DeShields and Aja Wilson. Both, were recruited by UConn and made a different choice. Look at the the number of Championship Rings that these young women could have had.

But, not everyone is suited for the UConn/Geno/Chris System. And, frankly, I am glad that some of them did not come as they would not benefit from the UConn System.

Who else made decisions to attend other schools and missed the opportunity for championships?

Such nothing. And yes; could have (and have) moved on from the thread. Do you think any of them are losing sleep over it all?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I can not fault any player for making a decision that did not include UConn as their school to play basketball.

As I've said before, A'ja Wilson made the decision to stay home to be close to family & friends. She may never be part of a national championship, but she will be part of multiple SEC championships, AA teams, play in the WNBA and become a future Olympic team member IMO. Not bad when all is said and done.

With that said, it's hard not to think about just how good this Husky team would be if Wilson had decided to play in Storrs.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Brianna Turner
Taya Reimer
Skylar Diggins
Jewell Loyd

Reaction Score
Such nothing. And yes; could have (and have) moved on from the thread. Do you think any of them are losing sleep over it all?

I understand your response, but one has to wonder as to asking the question: what if? On the other side of the coin, why would Azura Stevens, and Batouly Comaro pick UConn after experiencing two major programs like Duke and Kentucky respectively? There are two answers to that question: 1) they want to be trained to their potential to be the best that they can be; and 2) they want the opportunity to play and win National Championships.

The same is true as why some folks go through all of the hell to be a Navy Seal.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do you think any of them are losing sleep over it all?
Mistake? No. A player that does not choose UCONN is not making a mistake and I sincerely hope none are loosing sleep over it. Lost opportunity? Perhaps. A player that is capable of & recruited by UCONN is IMO giving up a great opportunity because as has been acknowledge by many, UCONN's staff develops players better than anyone else. No outcome is guarantee but similar decisions are made by everyday people like moving a few miles to get into a better school district or waiting a few days for an appointment to see a more accomplished surgeon. It human nature to speculate on our choices not made, in this case harmless speculation=95% of BY.

Reaction Score
I agree with many of you above. Championship rings go in drawers, occasionally to be thought about or brought out to show friends. Meanwhile, alums where they won the championship get to brag forever and the coach gets a raise. Players should think about what makes them happiest. For some, that means going to UConn for short term and/or long term benefits; for others and for a variety of reasons, it means going elsewhere. This isn't a world war, where you choose sides. It's amateur sports. There's more than enough misery in this world: I wish every athlete happiness and fulfillment in their choices.

Reaction Score
I agree with many of you above. Championship rings go in drawers, occasionally to be thought about or brought out to show friends. Meanwhile, alums where they won the championship get to brag forever and the coach gets a raise. Players should think about what makes them happiest. For some, that means going to UConn for short term and/or long term benefits; for others and for a variety of reasons, it means going elsewhere. This isn't a world war, where you choose sides. It's amateur sports. There's more than enough misery in this world: I wish every athlete happiness and fulfillment in their choices.
Your last sentence first: There is more than enough misery in this (and most former) world(s). (World misery is a constant--you know history). I too wish them happiness and success (success is doing what you want--and able to live on it). (in that regard--I'm successful)
I can see Stewies Moriah, Tuck putting the rings in a drawer--even 4 of them or even the one for the 11th NC--but I bet they are not thrown away --over the years as they pull that drawer open--they smile--and show them to their friends and relatives--and show them proudly to their kids (who never heard of Uconn). Accomplishment with national recognitions are so few--and it isn't bragging in this case it is stating facts--it shows they were the best of the best of the best.
You are right for the average---token of athletic winning--most people outside of those playing --in 10/20 years -it's a hoo hum nice rings--and the kids lose them in play or the wife/hubby tosses them for cluttering.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
One that deserves speculative mention is Shay Doron.

IIRC, this talented Israeli PG actually came to the US with the goal of playing for UConn. She enrolled at Christ the King, surely more to hone her bb skills but not her Catechism.Head bang

Somehow she went to Maryland and helped Brenda win her NC. Hmm. What might have been. . .:oops:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
One that deserves speculative mention is Shay Doron. IIRC, this talented Israeli PG actually came to the US with the goal of playing for UConn. She enrolled at Christ the King, surely more to hone her bb skills but not her Catechism.Head bang
Somehow she went to Maryland and helped Brenda win her NC. Hmm. What might have been. . .:oops:
There were 3 UCONN near misses on that Maryland NC team. Laura Harper, Crystal Langhorne, & Shay Doron.
That CTK Catechism was also practice by Sue Bird a few years before Shay took to it. I have a signed basketball by that entire championship team. Laura Harper & Crystal Langhorne were regular foes of my older daughters teams for both AAU and HS.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
UConn has to play someone in these championship games, I'm sure Q and his players will never forget that game

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Being on championship caliber teams (note I'm not restricting this to just the teams that win it all) has one other potential advantage for the players, especially the top players - it can help open the door to other career opportunities, particularly those related to sports.

Think of the women in sports broadcasting - a lot (if not most) of them were hired because they are recognizable to the audience. I'm sure there are exceptions to this to be sure, but I'd be surprised if any of the current players on the Winthrop Five wind up doing analysis or play by play on ESPN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom