Have you been to every state? | The Boneyard

Have you been to every state?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What have you missed? I missed many, no Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, Idaho or Wyoming

Curiouser
Reaction Score
All except Hawaii, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Mississippi and Alabama.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
What have you missed? I missed many, no Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, Idaho or Wyoming
43. Missing Alaska, OK, IA, SD, ND, WI and Oregon. Hard to hit the mid part of the north.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
43. Missing Alaska, OK, IA, SD, ND, WI and Oregon. Hard to hit the mid part of the north.

I think I'm at 43 as well. Missing HA, AK, MN, ND, WI, KS and AR. Maybe I can hit AR during the AACT. <<groan>>

Reaction Score
I think I'm at 43 as well. Missing HA, AK, MN, ND, WI, KS and AR. Maybe I can hit AR during the AACT. <<groan>>

At 42 missing, Alaska, ND, SD, Kansas, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
What is the definition of the term "been to?" Does you have to spend quality time or just merely a drive through/air travel layover?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Gotta hit SD especially around Rushmore good country there...
My nephew is moving back from Calgary this summer and I've offered to fly out and drive back with him to see Rushmore (and get a few of those states!)

Husky25

Reaction Score
Mount Rushmore was very underwhelming. My friends and I hit it up on the way back from a cross country road trip. We basically got out of the van, took a picture of the monument from the parking lot, got back in the van, and left. I saw a documentary on the History Channel years later (Cable in the Classroom show, if I recall), which told us that we did basically all there was to do at Mount Rushmore. The Badlands, on the other hand were quite a bit more interesting.

It looks like my final count is: 39
I am missing Alaska, Hawaii, Colorado (planning on getting out there in September), Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Indiana, Kentucky, and Alabama.

If the criteria is do to something other than spend a layover or drive through on way to other destination: I'd have to add:
Idaho, New Mexico, Arkansas, Georgia, South Carolina, West Virginia, and Delaware.

Reaction Score
What is the definition of the term "been to?" Does you have to spend quality time or just merely a drive through/air travel layover?

If you drove through Nebraska, that would have to count. But you would have to stop in Rhode Island.

Reaction Score
Not been to Alaska, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, or Nebraska. So I guess that makes 45/50.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gotta hit SD especially around Rushmore good country there...
Mount Rushmore was very underwhelming. My friends and I hit it up on the way back from a cross country road trip. We basically got out of the van, took a picture of the monument from the parking lot, got back in the van, and left. I saw a documentary on the History Channel years later (Cable in the Classroom show, if I recall), which told us that we did basically all there was to do at Mount Rushmore. The Badlands, on the other hand were quite a bit more interesting.
I was expecting to be underwhelmed at Mount Rushmore and was pleasantly surprised at the majesty I felt about the place. We came upon it at first in the early evening while driving around a bend in the road where I didn't expect to see it, and I'll never forget the image of first seeing a huge stone profile against the moon and the night sky through my windshield. This was around 20 years ago (i.e., pre-internet days) and I was using a book that was a guide to all the brewpubs in the country as a way to plan our stops, so we went to Firehouse Brewing for a decent meal, a few beers and good local conversation, and I filled a few growlers to bring to the campground. The next day we went to the visitor center and spent probably less than an hour there, checking out the plaques and taking some pictures, and then headed off to the Badlands. I thought they were cool and interesting, but it got old quick and I got tired of stopping just to see a slightly different view of the same general type of bizarre landscape.

The most interesting thing we did in South Dakota was probably getting the audio tape tour at the visitor center just after crossing into the state. By that time we had listened to every cassette I owned and were eager for anything else to listen to, other than each other. I'm guessing they probably have it on CD or even download now, but basically this was like a six-tape audio tour and history of South Dakota, and it gave background, history and guidance for touring through, among other things, Mount Rushmore and the Badlands, and it also had a lot of information about the interesting history behind the Crazy Horse monument, which had very little work done on it at the time for various reasons. The personal stories of the sculptors of both Rushmore and Crazy Horse (and their families) were pretty interesting too. I understand that there has been a lot of progress on Crazy Horse since then, and that's definitely something I would check out. The way they did it then, you paid a small rental fee for the tapes, plus a deposit. You returned the tapes at the visitor center at the other end, on your way out of the state, and get your deposit back. It was basically like a live documentary.

Reaction Score
I've been to most of the country but haven't been to South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana. I'm dying to hit up this part of the country because what I've heard and seen from the iternet it looks like the most beautiful area in our great country.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Coincidently enough, I was in South Dakota this past weekend for a graduation.

It was the 3rd and potentially final visit to the Rushmore State of my lifetime. I will set the over/under at 1, just in case the kids want to visit for whatever reason.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I've been to most of the country but haven't been to South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana. I'm dying to hit up this part of the country because what I've heard and seen from the iternet it looks like the most beautiful area in our great country.
Get out to Yellowstone. We entered on the Montana side and exited via Wyoming. There's two states right there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you drove through Nebraska, that would have to count.

I drove through Nebraska. Got pulled over for going 71 on an empty Interstate. The trooper asked me if I was a graduate. I said "Yes, sir!" From where? "University of Connecticut, sir." Guy says, "Oh! College Boy!"

Reaction Score
When I used to have A CT. license I was harassed on two separate occasions, those Southern boys still don't like us Yankees.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Go to Glacier in Montana.

Reaction Score
Go to Glacier in Montana.

But quickly, as they're losing them. I went there and glacier in Canada which no longer has glaciers at the park!

Husky25

Reaction Score
28, plus a flight stop in Kansas City.
I would urge you to go back to Kansas City for 3 reasons: National WWI Museum, Negro League Hall of Fame, and some of the best barbeque in the country. The fact the Red Sox beat the Royals is ancillary (Kaufman is a nice place to watch a game though.).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I would urge you to go back to Kansas City for 3 reasons: National WWI Museum, Negro League Hall of Fame, and some of the best barbeque in the country. The fact the Red Sox beat the Royals is ancillary (Kaufman is a nice place to watch a game though.).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the above.
All I'd considered beyond BBQ was a American Jazz Museum, a good art museum, lots of fountains, and some crazy little women.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom