Have to get Polley more touches | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Have to get Polley more touches

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You're not wrong, but he doesn't remotely have Rip's quickness, ability to stop and pop on a dime, and ridiculous fitness level to run full speed all game.

And then, as you mention, there's the mentality issue. Rip was a killer. I think Danny needs to run more scripted plays with Polley specifically in mind so that the action is forced ON him.
Agree re fitness. Rip was relentless and it impact the opposition by end of the game.

Weird thing about Polley is he seem more accurate when moving. He likes the transition three and seems to like drifting to to left when shooting. It seems quirky, but whatever works, right?

He's a great step-in or standstill 3 point shooter. Far less effective coming off of screens, which limits our ability to "run plays" for him in the half court offense.
Agree about coming off of screens, but not so much about standing still. Watch for the drift to left on his threes next game.

Reaction Score
Agree re fitness. Rip was relentless and it impact the opposition by end of the game.

Weird thing about Polley is he seem more accurate when moving. He likes the transition three and seems to like drifting to to left when shooting. It seems quirky, but whatever works, right?

Agree. He hits some deep bombs that seem like bad shots, but nevertheless he makes them like no other Husky I can recall.

pj

Reaction Score
Why stop at 8-10, Scrappy ? 15 to 20, minimum.

We need a new play for Polley, the four man screen. If he's surrounded by four teammates, he'll be able to get his shot off any time. Sort of like the Greek phalanx, we just advance downcourt as a group, amoeba around any defenders holding still for a charge, until we're in a spot Polley likes to shoot from. The key is Polley learning how to dribble without hitting anyone's foot. I think with this new offense Polley can take 80% of our shots. Then we just need a trick play -- the leak out from the phalanx and the Polley pass -- and we're all set.

Maybe the way to go is this. The phalanx starts as a donut, with Alterique at the back dribbling in the donut hole. Then when the donut reaches Polley's spot, Polley slips into the middle, the ring shrinks around him, and he takes the handoff from Alterique to shoot.

I have patented this play but I'm willing to license it to UConn for free.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nobody in the world of basketball could do what Rip did. It's like saying Vital needs to handle the ball like Kyrie Irving.
They said the same about Reggie Miller. Just sayin . . . . . . .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom