Have to get Polley more touches | The Boneyard

Have to get Polley more touches

Reaction Score
The guy is an incredible shooter— an nba 3 point shooter. He has extended range on his shot past the line-a little Reggie Miller in him. His shot is pure. Now it’s on him as well to move harder and play faster without the ball but I’d like to see his Fgs higher. He can also stand to once in awhile put it on the floor to show dual threat but having him put up 8-10 3s a game is where I think we should be with him

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The guy is an incredible shooter— an nba 3 point shooter. He has extended range on his shot past the line-a little Reggie Miller in him. His shot is pure. Now it’s on him as well to move harder and play faster without the ball but I’d like to see his Fgs higher. He can also stand to once in awhile put it on the floor to show dual threat but having him put up 8-10 3s a game is where I think we should be with him

When he puts it on the floor, generally speaking, good things don't happen. Only every once in a while, he makes a play.

One of Polley's best skills, on this team in particular, is his ability/desire to stay in his lane. Don't do too much. I'll be happy if 90% of his shots come from behind the 3pt line.

Reaction Score
He needs to use screens better (also the screens need to be set better). They do run some action for him off screens but he's rarely open to get off the shot because he doesn't change speeds to fake out his defender. Most of his 3's come off secondary fast break or just catching and shooting while the defender is sleeping or over-helping...But yes, he's averaging 5.3 3PA a game and shooting at a great percentage. Getting that up to 7 or 8 makes a lot of sense.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Polley will take more shots when and if he decides to be more active on the offensive side of the floor. Standing as an onlooker as he does about 70% of the time makes him an easy mark to defend. The kid has to understand that if he becomes active in going from side to side ala Rip Hamilton the guards will be able to get him the ball in the situations that he enjoys best.
Is he a weapon? Yes but only if he helps himself become one

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If we get him 8 looks from 3 he’ll hit 4 or 5. He can’t create His own and is much better in transition so it’s a challenge to get these looks in the halfcourt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Polley will take more shots when and if he decides to be more active on the offensive side of the floor. Standing as an onlooker as he does about 70% of the time makes him an easy mark to defend. The kid has to understand that if he becomes active in going from side to side ala Rip Hamilton the guards will be able to get him the ball in the situations that he enjoys best.
Absolutely perfect post. Spot on.

Reaction Score
If we get him 8 looks from 3 he’ll hit 4 or 5. He can’t create His own and is much better in transition so it’s a challenge to get these looks in the halfcourt.
We still miss him when we're on the break. There were a couple last night where instead of finding Polley for a three, we find Vital who does what Vital typically does.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He needs to use screens better (also the screens need to be set better). They do run some action for him off screens but he's rarely open to get off the shot because he doesn't change speeds to fake out his defender. Most of his 3's come off secondary fast break or just catching and shooting while the defender is sleeping or over-helping...But yes, he's averaging 5.3 3PA a game and shooting at a great percentage. Getting that up to 7 or 8 makes a lot of sense.

He seems (i haven't looked at the stats) waaay better shooting from transition that in the half court. As you mention, the foot speed is a huge impediment there. But there's action we could run to get him free in the corners. And maybe run him off some double screens to see if that would free if up a fraction more. At his size, he should be able to shoot over a number of guys.

I don't know how many actual plays are run with him specifically in mind.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why stop at 8-10, Scrappy ? 15 to 20, minimum.
I'm going out on a limb here but, I think 60 points from one player is going to make us competitive in most games.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

You're not wrong, but he doesn't remotely have Rip's quickness, ability to stop and pop on a dime, and ridiculous fitness level to run full speed all game.

And then, as you mention, there's the mentality issue. Rip was a killer. I think Danny needs to run more scripted plays with Polley specifically in mind so that the action is forced ON him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Bingo. And true of much of the team. Often teams guard our PG and can guard the other four guys with chairs. I don't quite expect anyone to be a constant motion machine like Rip was, but so many of them just watch, when they could or should be cutting through the lane our making themselves available. Polley for sure, but also Adams and others. Sid needs to cut diagonally toward the rim, because any pass to him in that situation is probably a dunk with an and one.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We still miss him when we're on the break. There were a couple last night where instead of finding Polley for a three, we find Vital who does what Vital typically does.
One modified break he had Tyler Phommachanh wide open in the corner, hesitated, thought about passing, hesitated and then took a terrible shot

Reaction Score
You're not wrong, but he doesn't remotely have Rips quickness, ability to stop and pop on a dime, and ridiculous fitness level to run full speed all game.

And then, as you mention, there's the mentality. I think Danny needs to run scripted plays with Polley specifically in mind so that the action is forced ON him.
Nobody in the world of basketball could do what Rip did. It's like saying Vital needs to handle the ball like Kyrie Irving.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Nobody in the world of basketball could do what Rip did. It's like saying Vital needs to handle the ball like Kyrie Irving.

Even if you take the vast gulf in skills out of it. Rip was a killer. Polley is decidedly not that sort of guy.

Reaction Score
Even if you take the vast gulf in skills out of it. Rip was a killer. Polley is decidedly not that sort of guy.
No but he's an elite three point shooter. His ability to catch it on a full run and launch from deep is a pretty impressive skill. He needs to be taking 8 of them a game, there's no way Vital and Polley should be putting up the same # of threes.

Reaction Score
Polley needs to come off screens quicker. If he does that and sets his feet quicker it will make his shooting quicker and the defense won't be able to make the shot difficult

intlzncster

Reaction Score
No but he's an elite three point shooter. His ability to catch it on a full run and launch from deep is a pretty impressive skill. He needs to be taking 8 of them a game, there's no way Vital and Polley should be putting up the same # of threes.

I agree. Not saying he shouldn't be taking shots. Just that acting like Rip, who was going to fight tooth and nail to get his, isn't Polley's way. Which means the guards have to make sure he gets those shots. Polley's the type of kid who needs to be lead to the trough, so to speak.

As long as he doesn't take bad shots, I want him shooting as many as possible. I'd be happy if he took a shot on every transition. Better than half our guys layups

Reaction Score

He's a great step-in or standstill 3 point shooter. Far less effective coming off of screens, which limits our ability to "run plays" for him in the half court offense.

Reaction Score
I don’t think he runs hard enough to get 8-10 open looks a game honestly. Granted, we don’t run that many plays designed to get him open off of screens.

He’s really not a threat to take guys off the dribble, so guys just stay glued to him for the most part. Either developing his slashing ability or being more active on the offensive side of the floor would help him get more open looks. As it stands, he takes mostly good shots, and I’d hate to see that change just for the sake of his volume.

Reaction Score
He's a great step-in or standstill 3 point shooter. Far less effective coming off of screens, which limits our ability to "run plays" for him in the half court offense.
It seems that way but I don't think we've seen enough of it to really know. The guy is an excellent shooter, my guess is it can be developed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom