Hats Off To Our Old Friend, Dave Leitao | The Boneyard

Hats Off To Our Old Friend, Dave Leitao

Reaction Score
That is a very good win for DePaul. As we all know, Leitao is a good coach that had a hand in helping build UConn into a national power. So, 10 years after our magical 2011 run, our first game in our return to the Big East Tournament is...DePaul. How is that for the irony?

Reaction Score
Leitao is a good coach? Assistant or head? He hasn't really proven that as a head coach.
You didn't see DL in his first stint at DePaul. He brought that team to the NCAA and was building. He made a huge mistake leaving and taking the Virginia job. He obviously had proved something to get an ACC job. But he move didn't pay off. And he is back building from scratch.

Reaction Score
You didn't see DL in his first stint at DePaul. He brought that team to the NCAA and was building. He made a huge mistake leaving and taking the Virginia job. He obviously had proved something to get an ACC job. But he move didn't pay off. And he is back building from scratch.
This is his 6th year back at DePaul after leaving Virginia. That's a long building process. Most coaches don't get that much rope.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is his 6th year back at DePaul after leaving Virginia. That's a long building process. Most coaches don't get that much rope.

1615439766272.png

Reaction Score
I always root for anyone that represented UConn. With that being said, hold this L tonight Dave, we still love you

Reaction Score
He did that from someone else recruits. He ran when things were going down. Same exact scenario at Virginia. Someone else recruits then bounced. He has yet to have his team of players go into post season

Reaction Score
Would love Leitao back here on Hurleys staff given the event we lose assistants in the upcoming future. Hope we kick your ass tonight we know your gets will scrap against us tonight.

Reaction Score
Back in the day, our seats were next to Dave's wife, Joyce. Super nice lady. She gave me her phone number and said "Call me if you need tickets!". We still use that line and laugh about it. Fun times. Big East Tourney also brings back great memories of trucking to NYC for the long weekend spent with all the UConn crazies! Sorry for my little trip down memory lane.

Reaction Score
He did that from someone else recruits. He ran when things were going down. Same exact scenario at Virginia. Someone else recruits then bounced. He has yet to have his team of players go into post season
Not true. He too over a 9-19 team that was 12-18 the year before that. There were no high end recruits when he walked in. He broke 500 his first year then had consecutive 20 win seasons. He was on his way up. Dumb to leave.

In the third year of the second stint he was building them back to a 20 win team, he won 19. Then the craziness hit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not true. He too over a 9-19 team that was 12-18 the year before that. There were no high end recruits when he walked in. He broke 500 his first year then had consecutive 20 win seasons. He was on his way up. Dumb to leave.

In the third year of the second stint he was building them back to a 20 win team, he won 19. Then the craziness hit.
He had two 20 win seasons while DePaul was in conference USA and they had double digit losses with 1 Ncaa appearance. He was 15-15, 21-11 and 17-16 for his winning seasons at VA. 1 Ncaa appearance. Let's not talk about him coaching in Big East.

Reaction Score

Funny. I think you would be one of the first guys we know to JUMP at a big paycheck at a big name in your industry.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Reminds of an old Clapton tune, "Hello Old Friend, really good to pound you once again. Hello Old Friend..."

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not going to argue weather Dave is a good coach or not because everyone has a different opinion
Ask Coaches Calhoun, Hobbs and Moore - they are experts on that area
Personally I think he has done a fairly good job at DePaul based on the comp he faces in recruiting vs the Big10 and the fact that DePaul is the least "sexiest" school in the OBE or NBE
He is a great guy

Reaction Score
This thread is silly, Leitao is objectively not a good college basketball head coach.
I really don't feel the need to argue it much further but I'm not sure what anyone's definition is of a "good coach" if they count Leitao as one.

Saw this in the Register article today. I don't care what the circumstances are or were but this doesn't happen to a "good coach".

DePaul head coach Dave Leitao, the former longtime UConn assistant, may be on his last legs after the Blue Demons finished last in the Big East for a fifth straight season.

Reaction Score
I've always believed and still do his high water mark was here as a high grade assistant coach to Calhoun. As a head coach very average being because i like the guy. He was here in the start of our run. Wouldn't trade any of our guys for him but to wish him some luck but not tonight.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed the post-game interview. Donny was in studio. Dave at MSG. The other studio guy as well, but he was irrelevant.

There wasn't much to the interview. Just neat to see old friends interact.

Reaction Score
Funny. I think you would be one of the first guys we know to JUMP at a big paycheck at a big name in your industry.

Depends on the conditions and chances at future success. I did take a job at a smaller agency (bigger company, smaller office) for a little less money because the situation was much better, although the risk was higher. I knew in the long run it would pay off and it did.

Dave could have built a monster in Chicago. He put himself in a no-win situation in the ACC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom