Hassan Diarra Appreciation Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hassan Diarra Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bingo I also agree on big guards. Somehow Bazz and Boat made us wrong lol but that was a magical combo. With Nowell being smaller and Ball being solid size I’d prefer a taller solid 6-5 or 6-4 ball handler, shooter and defender from the portal.
We'll just be faster.

Reaction Score
What are Hassan’s chances in the NBA if he improves like he did this year. Could he have an Ollie type of career?
His improvement from last year to this year was incredible. If he could somehow do that again I think he has a shot at the NBA. I don't know how likely another huge jump is though.

Reaction Score
We'll just be faster.

But watching last night I mean Edey got his no matter (his last 10-12 points were on no foul defense though) but through the middle of the game their guards had a tough time delivering passes over the top or around our taller guards like Newton and Castle. And Spencer, at 6’2-6’3 also was really good on D. Size does create problems on the defensive side for sure and all 3s of them rebounded the crap out of the ball. I will stay with my wishes of bigger guards goes back to Tate and Smitty made our press hard to throw over.

cwh20

Six is good!
Reaction Score
I had pretty much written him off as an offensively limited defensive stopper after last season. A valuable role player but nothing like he is now. Never been more happy to be wrong. His improvement has been unbelievable and he is a total killer that brings such an edge to the team.
Same. He was huge coming in and showing the other team there was not going to be a let up when the subs got their minutes. That’s impact production wise and psychologically.

Wide open three from the corner, first half? Money!!

Reaction Score
Is he our starting point guard next year? Otherwise it’s tough for a freshman to execute this offense.
His return is critical to our success next year. His experience, pedigree, leadership, and like you mentioned system knowledge are invaluable. As for starting, it's his to lose regardless of new recruits and/or transfers.

Reaction Score
Last year, he was a tenacious defender but basically unplayable on the offensive end between bad outside shooting, bad decision-making, and bad finishing.

This year he kept up his defense while becoming dangerous and disciplined with the ball in his hands. His finishing in transition and his attacking the paint, to either score or draw-and-dish, was exceptional and keyed a number of runs throughout the year.

As I said in an earlier thread, he essentially played himself out of the Final Four last year with a bad turnover against Miami and then didn't play at all against SDSU. He redeemed himself big time this year, including last night.

Reaction Score
Nobody improved more than Hassan this year. Not even recognizable vs. how he played a year ago.

Reaction Score
But watching last night I mean Edey got his no matter (his last 10-12 points were on no foul defense though) but through the middle of the game their guards had a tough time delivering passes over the top or around our taller guards like Newton and Castle. And Spencer, at 6’2-6’3 also was really good on D. Size does create problems on the defensive side for sure and all 3s of them rebounded the crap out of the ball. I will stay with my wishes of bigger guards goes back to Tate and Smitty made our press hard to throw over.
With UConn up 16, Edey actually had 17pts from 9:27 remaining (UConn 56-40) to 0:00, given Huskies were matching 30 seconds of possession and 2-3 pts on other end, these buckets were close to meaningless. Many were conceded by Clingan to avoid fouling (Karaban wasn't conceding nothing even giving up close to 100lbs!). Edey and Purdue never closed the gap to more than one possession better than down 16 and of course the final margin was 15.

Now to pour salt on the wound, but it IS the weakest 37pt championship game we'll ever see.

PS Cam's defense in the tournament was great! :)

Reaction Score
It's also hard to pass when you have someone in your grill. That's how Shabazz, Boatright, and Hass does it.

Reaction Score
I never trusted him last year & would get frustrated with his turnovers at key moments. This year is a totally different story. He improved so much and the ability to bring him and his energy off the bench was a key component of this team & the championship run. I hope he is back next year. Congrats Hassan on a great season!

Reaction Score
It's also hard to pass when you have someone in your grill. That's how Shabazz, Boatright, and Hass does it.
Oh I get that and he’s a problem for other guards no doubt. These guys get under and that’s a great way to frustrate the dribbler. But our best defender was Castle and his size was a huge issue.

Hey if a kids 6’1-6’2 and can defend and shoot that’s fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom