Hassan Diarra and DeMarr Langford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hassan Diarra and DeMarr Langford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kids do get forced out all the time, though.
This is one of the strange new things that keep getting repeated on the yard, every coach does it.

Reaction Score
Do we want a point guard who can't really shoot it? We never have trouble getting top guards.
Typically I would so no but having seen Diarra play a number of times he is exactly what this team needs. Hard nosed players of his caliber are a must.

Reaction Score
This is one of the strange new things that keep getting repeated on the yard, every coach does it.

Coaches have frank conversations with kids about their prospects and attempt to sway them towards leaving. Some times the kid DOES NOT WANT TO LEAVE. At that point he is not "forced" out. I explained this very clearly the other day. I'm not sure why you keep attempting to insist this isn't the case.

I hope you do not have interactions like this in real life.

Reaction Score
Typically I would so no but having seen Diarra play a number of times he is exactly what this team needs. Hard nosed players of his caliber are a must.

I haven't seen him play. How athletic is he?

Reaction Score
I haven't seen him play. How athletic is he?

Quite athletic. Closer to Gaffney than he is to Adams. More of a strong, laterally quick bulldog type than an acrobatic high-flyer.

TBH he would fit Texas Tech perfectly. He's tough as nails.

Reaction Score
He "literally" can't play basketball anymore.
I'm not sure what is more exasperating - the fact that this sort of hysteria even gets posted or the fact that the hysteria is well-liked, as measured by the "like" button.
Yeesh.
What can a Keyboard Warrior possibly know about this kid's medical condition? Or what all the moving parts are in recruitment?
Double Yeesh.

Call it Chief syndrome. Some posters have nothing better to do than pretend they are insiders.

Reaction Score
Coaches have frank conversations with kids about their prospects and attempt to sway them towards leaving. Some times the kid DOES NOT WANT TO LEAVE. At that point he is not "forced" out. I explained this very clearly the other day. I'm not sure why you keep attempting to insist this isn't the case.

I hope you do not have interactions like this in real life.
No . You tell the kid he isn't going to play here, the overwhelming majority of kids get the message. Every coach does it.

Reaction Score
The small minority that WANT TO STAY get to stay assuming they are bought in. It's not as easy as "just force out Johnny..." if Johnny doesn't want to leave.

And yes, before you post it, some kids want to stay despite being told they don't have a future.

Reaction Score
Call it Chief syndrome. Some posters have nothing better to do than pretend they are insiders.
While that may be true, you seem to be very sure you know what goes on and what conversations are had between every coach and player in america behind cosed doors. Sounds like you are pretty "insidery" to me. I do not not pretend to know how every coach conducts his business and I'm not even disagreeing with you. All I'm saying is there is a lot of pressure on these coaches to win. Their jobs and a lot of cash is on the line. In the last several years we have seen several of these coaches get caught involved with paying recruits while in bed with sneaker companies, we have seen a prominent coach embroiled in sexual assault cover up, academic scandals that spanned years, hookers and strippers, etc...My point is that edging out a player to free up a scholarship is small potatoes compared to that other stuff to create a competitive edge. You could see how some people could make the leap and say if "he's willing to do that, he's probably willing to do this more benign thing." I actually agree with you that most coaches don't like to do it. It sends a bad, mixed message to players when you are tring to create a team culture and then turn around and force a kid to play elsewhere. It's also not a great look for recruiting, especially if a kid comes from a prominent local high school or prep school that you want to continue to recruit at in the future. At the same time I'm not going to sit here and think the majority of theses coaches don't do it for some altruistic reason. We have all seen too much of the ugly underbelly of major college athletics to be that naive.

Reaction Score
Put this in the “means nothing, but I’ll post anyways” category. Alterique just tagged diarra in his Instagram story. Also, diarra posted a picture a while back playing next to a certain macduffie player. Drip drip

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I think Diarra is the better prospect but a couple things concern me. He does have a history of injuries this wouldn’t be as big of a concern if we didn’t already have a roster full of guys with injury history and he isn’t a very good shooter. What I like is that he’s physical, we need more physicality on the team, and he defends.

Reaction Score
I think Diarra is the better prospect but a couple things concern me. He does have a history of injuries this wouldn’t be as big of a concern if we didn’t already have a roster full of guys with injury history and he isn’t a very good shooter. What I like is that he’s physical, we need more physicality on the team, and he defends.

What kind of injury? Knee stuff like his brother?

Reaction Score
Can you switch from scholarship athlete to scholarship student and be a walk on? I'd sign up for that...

No. For what should be quite obvious reasons. You can switch from scholarship athlete to scholarshop student and not play basketball.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Doesn’t Mamadou have a degenerative knee problem? As in gets worse not better?

Reaction Score
I respect the hell out of Hurley. If I were coach, i’d tell atleast 7 of these dudes to take a hike.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I’ve seen the term “chronic” used. I’m not sure about degenerative. If so, ouch.

Chronic is more accurate. It's basically runners knee iirc.

That said, he also had surgery on his meniscus last off season. Which is a separate thing. I guess he tore it in a workout. That can be degenerative, but later in life.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
What kind of injury? Knee stuff like his brother?
I forget, He missed the end of his sophomore season and basically the whole AAU season last year though.

Reaction Score
Mamadou, at least publicly, has patellofemoral pain syndrome. It is like the irritable bowel syndrome of the musculoskeletal system- it is diagnosed clinically, there is no imaging or lab tests to confirm it. It is not a degenerative issue, but it is a chronic issue, and is usually triggered by high volume running/jumping. It's one of those things that in regular life would be a nuisance but in high level basketball is incapacitating.

C

Chief00

So 31 posts into your BY career, you have identified “Chief syndrome” and accused Chief of pretending to be an ”insider”. A label Chief has turned down numerous times. I have also explained to well meaning casual fans like yourself, that’s a characterization Chief has never sought or claimed. Chief talks to and gets to know people naturally, be they whom you might consider to be “insiders”’or “outsiders” in your World. These are not categories that Chief views the World through or uses, so I really have nothing further to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom