Has the women's game gotten too physical for its own good? What say you... | The Boneyard

Has the women's game gotten too physical for its own good? What say you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
IMHO, it has. Seems like every match-up involving Top 10/15 teams resembles a rugby scrum (and that's being kind). Plus, it gives a team with inferior talent a golden opportunity for an upset by neutralizing the superior team's top players. To me, there is a big difference between playing 'tough defense' and playing slash, grab, hold, push, slug and chop. I did not enjoy last night's game.

Just curious what others think.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
I have no problem with a physical game PROVIDED that the refs call the game evenly, and that a foul is a foul is a foul.

In other words, we shouldn't see touch fouls called in profusion and no calls resulting from bodies scattered on the floor

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
IMHO, it has. Seems like every match-up involving Top 10/15 teams resembles a rugby scrum (and that's being kind). Plus, it gives a team with inferior talent a golden opportunity for an upset by neutralizing the superior team's top players. To me, there is a big difference between playing 'tough defense' and playing slash, grab, hold, push, slug and chop. I did not enjoy last night's game.

I agree. I posted this in another thread and mentioned what Jay Bilas says about the men's game. Bilas thinks men's college basketball is too physical and he much prefers the freedom of movement (a lot less bumping and grinding) that exists in the NBA.

I think Jay's observations apply equally to women's college basketball and that was on full display last night.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I agree. One of the reasons I started watching the women's game was because it never turned into a thug-a-thon. Unfortunately, that ship sailed years ago. Now you have to hope your post players are as mean and nasty as the other guy's.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I agree..... watching it on tv is one thing... but to watch a game courtside gives you an eye opening experience in terms of the physical nature. I remarked to a coworker last season, that I thought at times, the women's games can be as physical or even more so then the men's. Like I said in another thread, alot of Big East people label the ACC as being a soft conference. Perhaps they are soft when they play other teams... but I've seen alot of very physical matchups in regular season.. and particularly ACC tournaments through the years. Maryland is physical, Ga Tech has been physical... UNC very very much so.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
I already think her charge calls are quite offensive.

Women's Soccer has the same problem. There is blatant shirt grabbing and "taking down" of players who have position advantage.

In basketball, the battles that are going on in the low post are truly wrestling matches.

Stef is working her ass off down there in the paint. I admire her effort and competitive drive.

Reaction Score
Women's Soccer has the same problem. There is blatant shirt grabbing and "taking down" of players who have position advantage.

In basketball, the battles that are going on in the low post are truly wrestling matches.

Stef is working her ass off down there in the paint. I admire her effort and competitive drive.
Stef showed a little "Tude" last night, when she got that BIG block down low. I liked it...

Reaction Score
I think a concerted effort to stop the overly physical play needs to be implemented. I can't understand why it has been allowed to develop. Who likes it that way? It doesn't make for a more interesting game. The fans don't like it, most players don't like it, it leads to injuries, it's against the rules, and it's easy to stop. A few calls by the refs would end the practice and we'll be back to a game of skill.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I don't know what time frame is meant here, but physical play is not recent. I remember being courtside for Oklahoma-UConn in 2002 and saw the same things we saw last night: shirts held, forearms shoving and a lot of bumping. UConn and its elite opponents have been playing this way for at least ten years, and likely much longer. For what it's worth, the elite teams are generally more physical than the "ordinary" ones, so I don't think it's that much of a neutralizing factor between inferior and superior talent as between inferior and superior teamwork. Though, as for that, we have the best teamwork out there and we are no wimps in the paint. We win as much as we do because we can "bump with the best while having finesse."

Our greatest teams have been when our decision-making and movement happens so fast other teams can't even react fast enough for physical play without obvious fouls. I think as this team gets better, and I believe it can be truly great, there will be seemingly less physical play and more fouls against us even by "elite" teams because they won't be able to react quick enough to what we are doing.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I agree with Bestiarius...my opinion exactly. I want skill, not pushing, shoving, tripping, etc.

Reaction Score
Saw something last night I don't recall ever seeing. In the second half after a UConn made basket, I saw Kelly stumbling backwards. Kelly "my game face is a blank slate" Faris looked angrily at the ref (can't remember if it was Bonita, Dennis or the other one) and was very animated, gesturing with her hands out in front of her asking where the foul call was. If "Stone Face" Faris is showing frustration from the physical play, you KNOW it was physical out there.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Saw something last night I don't recall ever seeing. In the second half after a UConn made basket, I saw Kelly stumbling backwards. Kelly "my game face is a blank slate" Faris looked angrily at the ref (can't remember if it was Bonita, Dennis or the other one) and was very animated, gesturing with her hands out in front of her asking where the foul call was. If "Stone Face" Faris is showing frustration from the physical play, you KNOW it was physical out there.
She was auditioning... Heck, she's one of the most physical players out there.

The "too physical" is an old saw, but not bad to revisit. Players are bigger and stronger now, and like to take advantage.

Clearly, the push in the NBA for offense alledgedly supports less physical play. I'd be interested to have folk define "physical" by just looking at the play of UCONN players and identifying what they should no longer do.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

I've thought this for several years now. We can't have pretty basketball like before. Everybody gets hit on every move.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just want to agree with all who say it isn't recent.

I was stunned by the physicallity, especially in the paint, my first season of watching WBB - which was pre-CVS and still the A-10 conference (our last year there); we attended the conference tournament at St. Joseph's and wow!

Yes, some of it has gotten worse (the scrums, particularly), but it has been physical since at least 1995.

And don't limit it to top teams. Arizona isn't very good, and both home games had some moments that I wasn't sure what sport I was watching. And some scrums were let go completlely as bodies flew around, while hand checks were called at other times in the games. Yuck.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Before you know it some player is going to get fed up with being pushed and shoved and will end up taking things into her own hands (fists) and punch someone.

Where are the coaches in all of this? They are the ones who send their players out on the court to mug the opponent.

Reaction Score
Amen to all that. PAP and BEST and others nailed it. What has made this game so special will not last much longer unless coaches and ref supervisors and fans demand a return to "the game" as it was designed. The most distressing part to me, in addition to the increased potential for injury to the kids and the reduced appeal of the "product", is the way this disregard of the basic rules and increase in belligerence is reflecting similar trends in our society as a whole. If attendance is down, is this all part of the reason? I think the fans of the women's game are more likely to be basketball purists. Those who want the sumo wrestling etc can get all that crap readily on the boys' side.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Before you know it some player is going to get fed up with being pushed and shoved and will end up taking things into her own hands (fists) and punch someone.

Where are the coaches in all of this? They are the ones who send their players out on the court to mug the opponent.

seems to me that this has already happened...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
IMHO most of this has to do with the fact these games are nationally televised games. You see it at every level in every sport. Big bucks are being payed to televise these games, and the networks need to keep you glued to the screen. The casual fan is not going to watch a blowout. There are still only a handful of teams capable of contending for a championship, and those teams usually are more offensively gifted. Allowing tough physical play equalizes the playing field, closes the talent gap, and keeps people watching.

Reaction Score
I think the ref's think they have to allow the rough play because that is how the men's games are called. They could stop it by making calls in the beginning of games. They set the tone for the players. A player will get away with anything she can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom