Has the pandemic reduced your interest in professional sports? | The Boneyard

Has the pandemic reduced your interest in professional sports?

Reaction Score
Let me start by saying I'm a former athlete (jock) and loved all sports.

However outside of our Huskies, I think this pandemic 'cured' me of my sports addiction. The golf Tourney was on this past weekend and I didn't even peek. The NBA, MLB and NFL are trying to get back on track but I've not even shown any interest in the updates or following the news. I may check ESPN once or twice a week and that's only their website.

I think this experience has forced me to look for alternative ways to occupy my time and mind, and perhaps create/participate in my own activities. I guess the best way of putting it, is that I am in no rush to sit in front of my TV for 2-3 hours or more watching men play a game. At least in the spring/summer.

Of course this may be temporary, cuz by virtue of being a member on this forum I'm a fanatic but still its changed to only following our Huskies (right now). I really think I've changed though, because I'm not missing it as much as I thought I would.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just me, but I always lose interest in following sports, both collegiate or professional, during the summer. When it's dark at 5pm every night and 30 degrees outside, it's a little bit easier to get sucked back into watching sports on more of a consistent basis.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just me, but I always lose interest in following sports, both collegiate or professional, during the summer. When it's dark at 5pm every night and 30 degrees outside, it's a little bit easier to get sucked back into watching sports on more of a consistent basis.
Thats why baseball is the perfect sport for the busy summer months. I feel like I don’t have to be in front of the TV for every pitch, but still know whats going on because you can have it on the radio or follow the score on your phone. Even though you can do the same for basketball, its not the same. Unless im in front of the TV or watching the game live, I feel like Im missing out because its so fast pace.

Reaction Score
well there arent any professional sports to really follow right now so yes?
Agree, but I've lost the anticipation of them returning. I really believe I will be just fine if they don't return this year. All expect college basketball.

Funny but my brother has 3 TVs set up in his Mancave. I think he will be freaking out if pro sports don't return.

Reaction Score
I think I am the complete opposite. Due to none of the traditional sports being on i've started to really get into watching more of the UFC, just because they have been putting live events on. I sort of always have a craving for a sporting event.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Its made me miss sports and look forward to them way more. Not having them has been really hard. Even though I understand your point of "watching grown men play a game," the seasons start to become more of a soap opera as they go along. Its something to get lost in and distract from everything else. Quarantine would have been wayyy easier for me if there were sports on tv.

Reaction Score
Agree, but I've lost the anticipation of them returning. I really believe I will be just fine if they don't return this year. All expect college basketball.

Funny but my brother has 3 TVs set up in his Mancave. I think he will be freaking out if pro sports don't return.

honestly, im excited for whatever remainder of the NBA/NHL season we'll get. I've been losing interest in MLB over the years. Always preferred playing baseball or softball over watching it at this point.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
College basketball is by far the number one sport I follow, and MLB is by far the professional sport I follow and watch most.

I really miss baseball. I love the pace, the strategy and tradition; and it is very easy to keep on the TV while I am working, reading or having a conversation.

I had tickets to see the Mets vs. Nats at Citi Field last Friday and even though I knew it wasn't happening, it was sad when Friday passed along with that opportunity.

Reaction Score
More of a college sports person as I've gotten older. The situation with the pandemic and other things going on in the country have kind of sealed the deal for me.

Reaction Score
I feel the same way, I'm definitely excited for CBB but I'm indifferent with all these other sports and to be honest I don't even really want baseball back. But once they're back there's no doubt I'll be watch again.

The big change for me is going to be fantasy sports. I'm in a ton of fantasy baseball leagues (~20 in any given year), all kinds of formats and all the way up to a 30 team dynasty league I run. I haven't missed it at all with no season this year, so definitely going to cut back on a ton of those leagues going forward

Reaction Score
If we can just have college hoops this year and nobody mess with my nfl Sunday’s, I’ll survive. No greater feeling than waking up on a Sunday morning getting all your Fantasy lineups set and putting your bets in and getting ready to watch 12 straight hours of wall-to-wall football on red zone. And to think, just a few years ago we were forced to watch one dumb boring local game on tv. my how things have changed.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I love baseball but the politics and the increasing BS in MLB is tearing me away from the desire to watch it. At least I was able to see my Cubbies win the big one!. Too much technology usage in making sure every call is 100% perfect is driving me up a wall.
Pro football is over protective of the QB and it handcuffs the defense in so many ways - the play is becoming offense vs offense
Pro basketball has become one huge political dias - nearly every "superstar" and most coaches are experts on so much with current events and add so little - just throw up the ball and play - I love watching these guys play but the other crap is making it difficult.
While college sports are slowly evolving into the same murky waters, there is still a sense of freshness every year. I can't imagine life without college hoops or (sorry) the EPL soccer
I think this pandemic has sharpened my opinions and lessened my desire to watch these pro leagues
But in the end, I'll be in front of the boob tube watching the big games

Reaction Score
Watching golf has always been relaxation time for me. Nice to have to it back. Enjoyed the Colonial.

Basketball and football are much more high energy. I get much more into the UConn games than professional games. I yell at the TV set and heavens. So I haven't done that in quite a while. There's no question I will watch every Huskies foootball and basketball game and be completely engaged when they return.

Reaction Score
Baseball down
NBA - UP
NCAA Hoop - same (more interested due to UConn BE/Hurley etc)
NCAA Everything Else - feeling more negative towards ncaa than ever
Football - down
Hockey - neutral
Soccer - neutral

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I miss MLB and UConn sports. A lot.

Frankly I’d rather watch Pro wrestling than either the nfl or the nba. Both are corrupt products with far too much favoritism.

Just the draft is enough coverage for both those sports for me. It’s the most interesting part of both leagues.

Reaction Score
Probably, who knows..don't really have choice right now. I did watch a lot of golf this weekend, even tuned in in Thursday and Friday which I rarely do. I do miss having baseball on in the background at night.

Reaction Score
I miss professional sports especially the nba, but I don't miss baseball so I'm fine. I've been more worried about local sports, getting kids back to playing sports here, etc.

Reaction Score
It hasn't diminished my interest in sports during "normal" times at all. It's hurt my enthusiasm a lot though because as much as I want them back I know its most likely going to be a long time before they are normal again with big crowds, no fear of the leagues having to shut down again, etc. Honestly its probably dampened my enthusiasm for cbb the most, went into this year looking forward to great atmospheres almost every game once big east play started instead of the 9 pm games in front of 100 people at tulane we were used to. Still time, but right now even if we have a season and allow fans to some degree doesn't feel like it will be the same

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I miss listening to baseball on the radio, which has always been my favorite. Most of all though is I miss opening my sports pages with my morning coffee and digesting the scores, injury reports, trade news etc., If that happens with UConn bball it will be a sad sorry day. I live in Florida though and I am golfing 3-4 days a week, taking long bike rides and my wife and I spend an hour in the pool 3 to 4 times a week, so maybe I am better off healthwise!

Reaction Score
I love baseball but the politics and the increasing BS in MLB is tearing me away from the desire to watch it. At least I was able to see my Cubbies win the big one!. Too much technology usage in making sure every call is 100% perfect is driving me up a wall.
Pro football is over protective of the QB and it handcuffs the defense in so many ways - the play is becoming offense vs offense
Pro basketball has become one huge political dias - nearly every "superstar" and most coaches are experts on so much with current events and add so little - just throw up the ball and play - I love watching these guys play but the other crap is making it difficult.
While college sports are slowly evolving into the same murky waters, there is still a sense of freshness every year. I can't imagine life without college hoops or (sorry) the EPL soccer
I think this pandemic has sharpened my opinions and lessened my desire to watch these pro leagues
But in the end, I'll be in front of the boob tube watching the big games

My thoughts exactly on the NBA. I’m very non-political and prefer politics to stay out of my life as much as possible. Nowadays to be an NBA superstar requires you to be a political activist, unless it’s speaking out against China that is.

Reaction Score
I signed on with ESPN+ thi week so I could watch Serie A soccer which restarted, and yes I took in 2 games, so I will say no, it has not impacted my desire to watch sports. But I don't watch as much as most people anyway. I watch almost no NHL, NBA or MLB. I watch 16-32 regular season NFL games, and attend a few live. I watch 2 soccer games every weekend for 8 months. I watch 50 college basketball games. I watch 2 college football games. And then of course there is youth sports.

40 NFL games
80 Soccer games
50 College basketball (not including tourney)
2 College football games

This is the extent of my yearly sports watching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom