Has Skylar Diggins-Smith been our greatest individual rival? | The Boneyard

Has Skylar Diggins-Smith been our greatest individual rival?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A case can be made that Notre Dame has been our biggest rival and Skylar Diggins-Smith has been our greatest opponent. Since the 94-95 season (when we announced our arrival in WCBB) UCONN has lost 66 games. The greatest number of losses to any opponent over that period is 13 to Notre Dame (Tennessee is next 9, Rutgers 6, Baylor 5, Stanford 4, 2 teams 3, 5 teams 2 and 13 teams 1). Of those thirteen losses, seven came during the 'Diggins era' (09-10 to 12-13). She without question had other talent alongside her but a think few would question that it was Skylar's team (which imo Muffet McGraw would agree with). During that four year period our win loss record against Notre Dame was 8-7 in our favor. Two of those seasons we suffered three loses to Notre Dame, something that never happened against any other opponent over that 27 year period.

I remember all of those games against Notre Dame over that four year stretch and admittedly I disliked no player more than Skylar Diggins. I continued to dislike her as she moved on to play for the Wings (I watched nearly all their games when Saniya was on the rooster). She continued to be the dominate player on their rooster, with a score first mentality. Maybe it is my penchant for a high assist, pass for the open shot - team offense (which has always been a UCONN signature) which offended me about her game - or as likely, it could be that she is a really skilled basketball player who always showed up against UCONN.

With the arrival of Mabrey and Ogunbowale on the Notre Dame rooster, Skylar quickly fell on my list of disliked opponents. Over time I have come to appreciate her commitment to and skill for the game. I have liked what she is doing with the Mercury this year and must say she has moved to my favored Irish list joining Achonwa, McBride, Lloyd, Turner and Shepard. I think the 09-10 to 12-13 rivalry with Notre Dame has been our greatest rivalry and certainly so, over any other four year period. Those fifteen games were some really great basketball. Both teams had great talent on their roosters and each game was a heated contest. So in my opinion of all our opponents I think Skyar has been our greatest individual rival.

Reaction Score
Our biggest rivals have been, IMO:

SDS
Arike Ogunbowale
Marina Mabrey
Cappie Pondexter
Chamique Holdsclaw

Runners up: Linda Miles, Kelly Jolly, Tasha Pointer, Alana Beard

Reaction Score
ND has won only 2 NCs, 2001 and 2018. UConn beat ND 2014 (79-58) and 2015 (63-53) and won both year's NCs. I think ND will not be our rival from now. Our rivals will be South Carolina and Stamford.

The ND players I like are McBride and Lloyd, and I think Lloyd is better than SDS.

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I am going to go with Chamique Holdsclaw and lets not forget Candace Parker. I don't feel the love for Skylar Diggins because ND guards were notorious for driving into traffic picking up phantom fouls and referee giveaways that I really never felt the dominance...I thought that Kayla McBride and Ruth Riley played tougher against us than Skylar...

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I am going to go with Chamique Holdsclaw and lets not forget Candace Parker. I don't feel the love for Skylar Diggins because ND guards were notorious for driving into traffic picking up phantom fouls and referee giveaways that I really never felt the dominance...I thought that Kayla McBride and Ruth Riley played tougher against us than Skylar...
+1 for Ruth Riley. My nominee is Michelle Marciniak. She beat UConn for all the marbles twice. I'll never forget the interview after she beat UConn in the dance for the first time. She was asked what their game plan was and she said "Game plan? Our game plan was to jam it down Wolters' throat!" I was sure that would be bulletin board material. Nope, the next year they jammed it down Wolters throat again.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
A case can be made that Notre Dame has been our biggest rival and Skylar Diggins-Smith has been our greatest opponent. Since the 94-95 season (when we announced our arrival in WCBB) UCONN has lost 66 games. The greatest number of losses to any opponent over that period is 13 to Notre Dame (Tennessee is next 9, Rutgers 6, Baylor 5, Stanford 4, 2 teams 3, 5 teams 2 and 13 teams 1). Of those thirteen losses, seven came during the 'Diggins era' (09-10 to 12-13). She without question had other talent alongside her but a think few would question that it was Skylar's team (which imo Muffet McGraw would agree with). During that four year period our win loss record against Notre Dame was 8-7 in our favor. Two of those seasons we suffered three loses to Notre Dame, something that never happened against any other opponent over that 27 year period.

I remember all of those games against Notre Dame over that four year stretch and admittedly I disliked no player more than Skylar Diggins. I continued to dislike her as she moved on to play for the Wings (I watched nearly all their games when Saniya was on the rooster). She continued to be the dominate player on their rooster, with a score first mentality. Maybe it is my penchant for a high assist, pass for the open shot - team offense (which has always been a UCONN signature) which offended me about her game - or as likely, it could be that she is a really skilled basketball player who always showed up against UCONN.

With the arrival of Mabrey and Ogunbowale on the Notre Dame rooster, Skylar quickly fell on my list of disliked opponents. Over time I have come to appreciate her commitment to and skill for the game. I have liked what she is doing with the Mercury this year and must say she has moved to my favored Irish list joining Achonwa, McBride, Lloyd, Turner and Shepard. I think the 09-10 to 12-13 rivalry with Notre Dame has been our greatest rivalry and certainly so, over any other four year period. Those fifteen games were some really great basketball. Both teams had great talent on their roosters and each game was a heated contest. So in my opinion of all our opponents I think Skyar has been our greatest individual rival.
The lexical vibration those of you who live in New England are feeling is likely emanating from Maine where my friend @Sifaka has just read this post. I shudder along with him in this regard! ;)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Diggins was probably the best rival in how she usually came fired up to play and was at the center of so many classic games in a short time span. Notre Dame was almost never favored but she seemingly always found a way to win any competitive game over her last couple of seasons.

I think Parker was maybe the most hated rival I've seen on the BY despite only playing UCONN twice. The rivalry with Tennessee had swung back in Tennessee's favor and came right after Taurasi left. Candace was maybe the most hyped up recruit of all time, dunked on UCONN's court, played with a ton of fire and the Pat/Geno relationship went south leading to the series ending. There was a lot of animosity both ways for several years and you still see the fall out from it 13 years later from several posters.

I wasn't on the board when Holdsclaw played (not sure the BY was in existence) but I dont think she (or Catchings) was really hated or despised by anyone? She was a like Tennessee's Maya Moore in that she was pretty mild mannered player who just showed up and would dominate without any antics. Like Maya, I think most were in awe of her as a player without a lot of negative commentary. Semeka Randall is definitely the better choice from that era since she was heavily recruited by Geno but chose Tennessee, had a scuffle with Hansmeyer, threw the ball of Svet's head and her nickname of "Boo" Randall came from getting booed relentlessly by UCONN fans. She also hit a game winner vs UCONN and the rivalry was more even during her time (4-3 in Tennessee's favor, both teams won a title).

Arike is also right up there too. I'd say the top few are:
1. Diggins
2. Parker
3. Ogunbowale
4. Randall

For 5th, maybe Marina Mabrey or Cappie Pondexter. Mabrey talked trash and Cappie got into a tiff with Geno after a game which created some drama.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
+1 for Ruth Riley. My nominee is Michelle Marciniak. She beat UConn for all the marbles twice. I'll never forget the interview after she beat UConn in the dance for the first time. She was asked what their game plan was and she said "Game plan? Our game plan was to jam it down Wolters' throat!" I was sure that would be bulletin board material. Nope, the next year they jammed it down Wolters throat again.
Marciniak graduated in 96 and only beat UCONN once (the classic Final Four game with the Sales 3pt shot)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Marciniak graduated in 96 and only beat UCONN once (the classic Final Four game with the Sales 3pt shot)
My bad. But I was right about them jamming it down Wolters throat again the next year even without her.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Young folk or short memories have pretty much left the Meeks and Candace out of the equation. Skylar did a great job against us but a rival has to stir up your passion and there is no more passion than, "I just wanted to hit something orange."

Semeka Randal is still known as 'Boo' at UT because of how the UConn faithful hated her.

Reaction Score
Arike is close but Diggins seems to raise the blood pressure of many Uconn fans. The familiarity of the opponent helped drive a lot of the rivalry in a way that even UT hadn't done before.

I loved Diggins as a college player because she truly didn't back down against Uconn. I had nothing against the Huskies but found myself rooting for ND in a couple of the games because Uconn had been on a streak that at that time hadn't been done before She may not have always had great games against Uconn but you couldn't sleep on her.

What else made the games so special was the difference between the teams was so small. Both were at worst top 3 teams usually playing their A games.

SC and Stanford should be great rivals for the Huskies these next few years. ND and UT are both getting better but it will take some time.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The thing about Diggins was the way she just took control of the game and there was just nothing you could do about it...playing off screens around the key and making 15-18 footers 'till you were ready to tear your hair out...

During the streak where UConn couldn't buy a win...What was it? 7 games over two seasons...Diggins was in the middle of everything.

It took Stewie establishing her dominance in the semis putting an end to it... together with Kayla and DIggins and Kayla's horrible shooting nights...some of which, but not all, the result of Geno's defensive scheme...in the case of Diggins, I thought Moriah's face guarding (including the peek-a-boo foul) took some of the stuffing out of her.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
personally don't at all see diggins as a big rival of the huskies (after all, in the endgame, she repeatedly failed despite her valiant efforts) ... OTOH, she may have seen the huskies as her arch nemesis

as someone mentioned, uconn has no 'individual rivals,' but i could cite some of uconn fandom's villains, leading off with arike and semeka.... then there's the miles kid from rutgers and the domer goon (a bench player, i think) who shouted some unsportsmanlike insult into the huskies' locker room after one of their rare defeats -- and i'm sure fellow BYers could remind me of other worthy candidates.
suggestions??
So Skylar's not worthy of being UCONN's rival but but the reverse isn't true?

Reaction Score
For three years, 2011-2013, Brittney Griner was one of the best ever to play women's basketball, finishing 2012 40-0. While we truely hated Notre Dame and all its players, we seemed to take Brittney's greatness for granted, accepting that each time we played Baylor, we would lose.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I took most of the weekend off from the boards/blogs and just came across it.
Interesting read.

The intensity of the Skylar (and to some degree K-Mac) battles with UConn were magnified by the frequency of how often they met, due to Big East scheduling. If you liked "never-back-down" basketball, that was "must see hoops." I got two different takes on familiarity from two different coaches:
  • it breeds contempt;
  • it grows into respect or resentment.

And, as I've discovered, sometimes a combination thereof.
See a bit of all of it in the responses.

Sky is universally regarded as a progam changer at ND and she was that both on the floor against teams such as UConn; and, off the floor for the Irish in that she helped instill the belief they could win. Her disciples, if you will, included K-Mac, who had memorable games against UConn. And Natalie Achonwa, who embodied that as a team leader.

Other Domers who fit the bill: Ruth Riley, one of the early crusaders; and "Marike" that combustible pair of like-minded backcourt mates.

Irish and Husky fans share one opponent in common as a major pain in the boxscore: Brittany Griner.

To flip the switch, I'll have to think of this more but Stewie is at the top of the list for UConn players who did the Irish in. I might add, that resentment long ago turned into respect.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For three years, 2011-2013, Brittney Griner was one of the best ever to play women's basketball, finishing 2012 40-0. While we truely hated Notre Dame and all its players, we seemed to take Brittney's greatness for granted, accepting that each time we played Baylor, we would lose.
Just to tie this into the present, we were robbed of seeing Stewie v Griner for all the marbles by a team that shot incredibly from the 3 point line. Three pointers can take down giants, that's the future of the game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Just to tie this into the present, we were robbed of seeing Stewie v Griner for all the marbles by a team that shot incredibly from the 3 point line. Three pointers can take down giants, that's the future of the game.
Louisville shot 16-25 on three-pointers against Baylor. Two nights later Louisville made only 5 of 23 threes while UConn made 13 of 26 three-pointers.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Griner was a great player but not a UCONN rival in the same sense that Diggins or Parker. There wasn't really any animosity on either side or among fan bases. There was anticipation of programs competing for titles between 2011-2013 but it ultimately never panned out where they met in the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom