Has Ollie Soured on Grad Transfers?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Has Ollie Soured on Grad Transfers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think a grad transfer works best when he plays a known role on a team that has an established identity. Last year two transfers on a team without a clear identity didn't work. In hindsight, I suppose that's not surprising.

That said, without Miller, we go two years without a NCAA bid and the talking heads would be calling the program a has been.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Sterling Gibbs was a 2nd team all Big Least guard, Miller was probably the best player in the Ivy league. We had fair expectations for both, Gibbs didn't live up to his billing, Miller was more impactful than I thought he'd be. I don't know exactly what the issue was, but watching our final press conference, everyone(Gibbs more than anyone) looked heartbroken at the outcome. Every bench player cheered for anyone who made a big play, players seemingly got along with the coaches, and we had championship winning seniors who probably held everyone inline. This team didn't have many shot makers, our offense was atrocious at times because of a mixture of coaching and player struggles. But then you remember how our core group of defenders made up one of the best units in the country. This is important because it's hard to have a great defense without a group of people who understand each others tendencies, know how to communicate with each other, and trust their teammates to have their back. That takes a certain amount of cohesiveness, that I believe only a group with a particular chemistry can accomplish.

/EndRant

Reaction Score
I find it pretty ridiculous that instead of accepting that the team had no true point guard with experience, we blame our offensive troubles on chemistry problems caused by grad transfers.
This. Gibbs was a square peg and we had a round hole. End of story.

CL82

Reaction Score
Was the Gibbs the point or the 2 guard at Seton Hall?

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

I think HCKO thought he would be the three point shooter missing from team and that is why he was a big get. The problem waas he ended up running point and that was not his strength. That was the issue with Gibbs imho

Reaction Score
I think HCKO thought he would be the three point shooter missing from team and that is why he was a big get. The problem waas he ended up running point and that was not his strength. That was the issue with Gibbs imho

You can run point and shoot 3s, Gibbs just wasn't all that great at doing either last year. The blame isn't soley on him though, we returned a core of players who did more to put the team into the NIT than qualify for the NCAAT, and they almost did the same thing last year.

CL82

Reaction Score
He mostly played the point at Seton Hall, and well, but playing the point in the Big East is easier than in the AAC because...
Lol, yeah I looked at his stats and he good assists numbers. It probably wasn't an unrealistic expectation that that would continue.

Reaction Score
Lol, yeah I looked at his stats and he good assists numbers. It probably wasn't an unrealistic expectation that that would continue.
To be honest I didn't watch him much at SHU but I don't think there can be any disagreement that he didn't show the skills to be a true PG when he was at UConn.

Reaction Score
All fair points. My counter would be that at SHU, Gibbs was the most used player on a bad team. Just because he played point guard at SHU and for UConn, doesn't mean it's his true position. I wouldn't call Monta Ellis a point guard, and he scores and gets assists. Any ball dominant guard will get assists.

Ball movement was a big problem for this team. Our most efficient scorer didn't touch the ball nearly enough, and Hamilton got stuck with bad looks at the end of the shot clock very often. Gibbs was a solid player for us, but UConn failed to become a very good passing team.

Reaction Score
Sure looks like it, I hate discussing Sterling Gibbs, feels like such a boring subject. Gibbs was what he was, in the past, let's move on.

Reaction Score
I don't see how Shonn Miller (or Gibbs) being a grad transfer magically makes him a chemistry problem when he could have had a similar impact by being a 5 star freshman... both types of players could put up similar numbers and both would be new to the team.

It would seem to me to be more difficult to get a guy who's played a full career's worth of college basketball to learn a new way of playing than it would be to get an 18 year old kid to do the same.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree....the chemistry thing is overplayed. There may have been a chemistry problem, but it's not because they were grad transfers. As others have pointed out, it's no different than a freshman coming in and getting playing time....he's also new to the team, right?
The difference I see is breaking a transfer's bad habits and getting him to play UConn way. A freshman is raw. Many cases it is easy to mold this young kid to what you want rather than breaking down a seasoned player. Not saying it happened to Miller and/or Gibbs. This is why Adams is going to be real special.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
25 wins. AAC Tournament Championship. A victory in the NCAA's. An all time college game against Cincy in AAC tourney.
Gibbs was frustrating but by most any measure last season was a success.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
hqdefault.jpg

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

The Boneyard version: NC #5 - DOOOOMED! - KO to the NBA - Mojo - NCAA ban - Wait 20 minutes

Reaction Score
I'd never say no to a good player who wants to play here. With that said, I don't think we can build a team around them like we did this year.

If we had a true point guard this year, maybe my tune would change, but from a fan perspective I like having guys that you can get to know. That's what made the 2014 team so much fun to watch, with LK being the perfect complimentary piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom