Has Nebrich gotten a fair shot? | The Boneyard

Has Nebrich gotten a fair shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G

McEntee, Johnny, 3, 82.03, 31-69-4, 44.9, 400, 0 41, 133.3

NEBRICH, Mike 3, 67.66, 5-13-1,, 38.5, 69, 0, 21, 23.0

Yep, those are truly awful But the sample size for MN doesn't seem meaningful.

Reaction Score
PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G

McEntee, Johnny, 3, 82.03, 31-69-4, 44.9, 400, 0 41, 133.3

NEBRICH, Mike 3, 67.66, 5-13-1,, 38.5, 69, 0, 21, 23.0

Yep, those are truly awful But the sample size for MN doesn't seem meaningful.

Has he gotten a fair shot to show the fans what he can do in games? Heck no. But that does not mean he hasn't had a fair shot. How many snaps you get, how much of a chance you get, in games is based on practice. It is not the coaches job to play everyone enough that the fans are satisfied that the coaches are making the correct decision.

Reaction Score
For me Nebrich passes the eye test better than JMac.

For our future Nebrich should start(McCummings can come in for some plays too).

JMac really adds nothing at this point.

Anyone out there confident with JMac at the controls?

Reaction Score
He has not, no. The staff sees something we do not and they are holding him back. Let's be honest, McC got more of a shot than Mike on Friday. Say what you want, but I thought MN looked ok in his brief appearance. Ok enough to sniff the turf mroe than JM.

McC is earning an increased role every week, and he is producing. Yes, he over shot a wide open receiver, but he has more TDs than the other 2 combined and he certainly forces the DBs to peek behind the line a bit longer than JM. He is a threat, more so with his legs right now, but he is a threat. How many of those do we have?

But to answer your question, no MN has not gotten a fair shot during games. The real question is why not?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think it's worthwhile to throw him out there and let him learn in game situations. Even if he was great in practice, the game is another animal. It's much more true in FB than BB.

Reaction Score
Anyone out there confident with JMac at the controls?[/quote said:

no, but i still think he looked better than MN for now

Reaction Score
I get the feeling the coaching staff wants him to step up, but those two sacks he took in the second quarter were killers. You cannot take sacks in those situations.

Reaction Score
zl hit the nail on the head. the games are different from practice. I continue to think he'll eventually be the quarterback. You don't burn his redshirt unless that's the plan. Pasquoloni was hoping to get him some limited play play early to allow him to adjust to the game at this level. I think he hoped he could steal a few wins with Mac as his main quarterback. It didn't work out, but I htink that was the goal. At some point he'll make the decision that it is time to go with Nebrich full time.

Reaction Score
i really think PP needs to let MN start a half, and finish it. at least 1 half. 2 series is not enough to get a rhythm, or get a real in-game sample size with which to work.

he throws a better ball (stronger, better footwork during throws), and has had a couple very good throws dropped (delahunt dropped one against isu that would have been about a 35 yd gain, and it was a bullet right in his hands in coverage). he also has the legs to make things happen when WR's dont get open (which happens often).

i really hope he gets a shot soon...because i cant watch to many more ducks thrown by mac

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but my sense is that this kid plays the game largely by feel and uses his athleticism to make plays and keep plays alive. Players like that need to be in the game and get in the flow. In and out and in and out won't work for them.

Frankly, other than the chance that his confidence gets shaken at an early stage in his college career, I would go with him. I really don't think we have much to lose. Rotating three of them to me is just crazy. But, I don't make millions coaching football.........

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I like to see Nebrich start the next game and given a half to see what he can do. Bring in McCummings when you want to run the wildcat.

Reaction Score
The first sack Nebrich took on Friday was not his fault. Nobody was open and the Dline got on him quickly. Better to take a sack than to throw an INT. He made a mistake on the second sack. He has not received a fair shot and I would like to see more. That said, McEntee did show improvement on Friday, he went from God Awful to just bad...baby steps. McEntee throws a very nice hail mary.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I get the feeling the coaching staff wants him to step up, but those two sacks he took in the second quarter were killers. You cannot take sacks in those situations.

Better him taking a sack than scrambling and throwing a pick on his backfoot

Reaction Score
Better him taking a sack than scrambling and throwing a pick on his backfoot

I want the guy, whoever it is, to throw the ball away in that situation so the field goal attempt is from 32, not 47.

Reaction Score
For me Nebrich passes the eye test better than JMac.

For our future Nebrich should start(McCummings can come in for some plays too).

JMac really adds nothing at this point.

Anyone out there confident with JMac at the controls?
Obviously none of the 3 QB's have set the world on fire to date....As for your view that Nebrich passes the eye test better than JMac-I think it is somewhat of an apples & oranges comparison. Clearly, Nebrich has shown much more mobility, so he wins there hands-down. Every ball he has thrown has been a wobbler, so JMac wins that hands-down though. Each would probably do better than the other, depending on how a particular game develops.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but my sense is that this kid plays the game largely by feel and uses his athleticism to make plays and keep plays alive. Players like that need to be in the game and get in the flow. In and out and in and out won't work for them.

I think you make a valid point that Nebrich may have relied in HS (and early in his college career) on being an athlete and keeping plays alive, and that this might show through better with some sustained PT. I think the problem with that though, is that while he has certainly showed some athleticism, he is nowhere near a "lights out" athlete that can get away with consistently getting the job done without solid fundamentals and knowledge of the offense. I think he has "above average" athleticism at QB, but not enough to compensate for his (understandably) limited decision-making/playbook knowledge at this early point in his career, and the fact that he throws a wobbly ball-a recipe for trouble in windy weather and balls that will tend to "sail" even when it's not windy.

Reaction Score
zl hit the nail on the head. the games are different from practice. I continue to think he'll eventually be the quarterback. You don't burn his redshirt unless that's the plan. Pasquoloni was hoping to get him some limited play play early to allow him to adjust to the game at this level. I think he hoped he could steal a few wins with Mac as his main quarterback. It didn't work out, but I htink that was the goal. At some point he'll make the decision that it is time to go with Nebrich full time.
i agree with scooter!

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
If the plan is to have Nebrich as the starter eventually (read: this year), I want him starting against Buffalo and Western Michigan. I don't want him taking over the job in the middle of the Big East schedule. Too much pressure and uncertainty there.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
And I don't think you can say that the backup has gotten a fair shot when the team doesn't have a win against a 1A opponent and would have probably won both games with average QB play. Especially when the backup and the starter were said to be pretty much neck and neck all spring and summer.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Nebrich has received less PT than any of us would have liked in the past two games but it is quite possible that the staff made a conscious decision to err on the side of caution with him against two BCS opponents (even if they were run of the mill BCS opponets, just look at Box in Louisville last year).

We will see more of him as the season progresses. The worst thing the staff can do is throw him to the wolves too early and shake his confidence. He couold be shot for the season if they do this.

Reaction Score
P played McEntee more than the other two b/c he thinks he gives us the best chance to win. i think if P planned to make Nebrich the starter before the end of the year we'd have seen more of him by now. although our QB play was poor, both of these games were winnable and i'm sure he put in the QB that he thought would give us the best chance to win those games. personally i'd like to see Nebrich get a start, because if you don't give him one, you're really just wasting everybody's time with the QB rotation. if you're not going to give him a fair opportunity you might as well just give McEntee all the snaps so at least he's better prepared

Reaction Score
Nebrich has more confidence than McEntee.
+1 CLEARLY... McEntee gets happy feet when the pressure gets to him.... and he stays in the pocket whereas Nebrich gets going and makes a play with his feet... That alone shows who should be playing and who shouldn't be (my two cents)

Reaction Score
Obviously none of the 3 QB's have set the world on fire to date....As for your view that Nebrich passes the eye test better than JMac-I think it is somewhat of an apples & oranges comparison. Clearly, Nebrich has shown much more mobility, so he wins there hands-down. Every ball he has thrown has been a wobbler, so JMac wins that hands-down though. Each would probably do better than the other, depending on how a particular game develops.

I think we've seen quite a few passes in the past that were "wobblers" from Frazier that went for completions so "throwing a nice ball" ( tight spinning spiral ) means zilch when it comes to running this team's offense....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom