[Has] Morgan Tuck [been] Granted Medical Redshirt? | The Boneyard

[Has] Morgan Tuck [been] Granted Medical Redshirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not Morgan Tuck has been granted a medical redshirt for this year. If not yet, do you have any idea when the NCAA approaches such requests? How soon might we (the fans) know?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I recall Geno saying that even he wasn't sure about Morgan getting a medical redshirt. But I swear I heard...a few days later on a game broadcast... the TV duo declare that getting the redshirt was a given.

Did I mishear what they said? Did they have new info that turned up after Geno's comment? Bottom line....did they know what they were talking about?

Whether she gets it or not...stays 2 more years or 3...of far, far more importance to our team and to Morgan's basketball career after she graduates [if she wants one] is whether she comes back healthy and can stay that way. Whether we are fortunate enough to land A'ja or not, Morgan's versatility as a 3/4 will be a key to next year's success.

Reaction Score
I recall Geno saying that even he wasn't sure about Morgan getting a medical redshirt. But I swear I heard...a few days later on a game broadcast... the TV duo declare that getting the redshirt was a given.

Did I mishear what they said? Did they have new info that turned up after Geno's comment? Bottom line....did they know what they were talking about?

The TV folks may have just said that because they understand the rules - as opposed to the writers who have covered the story. There is no question she is eligible for a medical hardship waiver and will get it at some point. There is no hurry for UConn to apply and I imagine they haven't done so yet.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, Geno said "there's no reason why she wouldn't get it" on TV, so it's basically in the books.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Random sidebar: why did Sue Bird not get a redshirt for missing all but eight games of the 1998-99 season? Did she not qualify, or did she not want it?

Reaction Score
Random sidebar: why did Sue Bird not get a redshirt for missing all but eight games of the 1998-99 season? Did she not qualify, or did she not want it?

Sue didn't qualify at that time. The rule was more restrictive at that time in terms of the number of games that could be played. Sue has said if she had been able to get an extra year with a medical redshirt she wouldn't have used and still would have chosen to graduate in 2002. That's reasonable as her situation would have been similar enough to Candace Parker's when she decided not to use her medical redshirt year, but it is also easier to say when it is just hypothetical.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Because, i believe, she'd played more than 20% of their games...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yep, Sue had played about 2 games too many. If Morgan's career resembles Sue's will anyone here be unhappy? I, for one, will be ecstatic!

HGN

Reaction Score
I don't think NCAA will render a decision until after season and school year ends.

Reaction Score
I don't think NCAA will render a decision until after season and school year ends.

Agree there won't be any "decision" until after the season. If Uconn files the paperwork early, there likely will be a "decision" before the school year ends since this is basically a fait accompli - not anything that requires judgement. The AAC is actually the body that makes the decision. The NCAA only hears appeals.

Reaction Score
In past threads a lot of discussion took place about this. If memory serves, it is an AAC matter and not under the the NCAA. The conference considers large numbers of athletes from various schools and sports and reveals their findings at their leisure. The general tenor of opinion seemed to be that Morgan fit into the guidelines and would be granted an additional competition year. It will be her choice whether or not to use it, or graduate as we can assume that her class work has proceeded more or less at pace.

Reaction Score
Suppose she completes her degree in 2 more years. Could she still play another year if she stays to work on say a Master's degree?
Same question for Butler.

Reaction Score
Suppose she completes her degree in 2 more years. Could she still play another year if she stays to work on say a Master's degree?
Same question for Butler.
Yes as long as she gets admitted into a graduate school at UConn. It should be a slam dunk that she would do her grad work here, but a couple years ago a football player didn't get in and transferred.

Reaction Score
1. No reason to be concerned.

2. Yes the AAC is in charge of this , not the NCAA.

3. Yes, she could play her final year while in grad school.

HGN

Reaction Score
Sonny, I too am getting a little concerned. Why the foot dragging by NCAA ? Tuck qualifies and should be granted the Redshirt. Without the drama and foot dragging.:mad:

Reaction Score
Sonny, I too am getting a little concerned. Why the foot dragging by NCAA ? Tuck qualifies and should be granted the Redshirt. Without the drama and foot dragging.:mad:
The NCAA has nothing to do with granting a Medical Hardship Waiver it is solely the conference(in this case AAC) that makes the decision. Most conferences wait until the end of the year and make their decision on all the applicants from all sports at the same time.

HGN

Reaction Score
The NCAA has nothing to do with granting a Medical Hardship Waiver it is solely the conference(in this case AAC) that makes the decision. Most conferences wait until the end of the year and make their decision on all the applicants from all sports at the same time.
Well lets see what happens.

Reaction Score

As I said just before your post and on many other occasions, the NCAA has nothing to do with this.

Reaction Score
Well whoever isn't the issue. They don't seem to have the courtesy, wherewithal or whatever it takes to settle the poor young lady's future. It seems inconsiderate to me.

Reaction Score
Well whoever isn't the issue. They don't seem to have the courtesy, wherewithal or whatever it takes to settle the poor young lady's future. It seems inconsiderate to me.

Her future is settled - assuming UConn didn't lie about her medical condition. Otherwise it is a black-and-white situation where it's just a matter of what procedure the AAC uses. Being a new league, it may be that they are still sorting out the procedure, which doesn't involve just Morgan Tuck but likely several hundred medical hardship waivers. It's not as easy as just looking at Morgan's app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom