Has Mikayla Coombs Earned more playing time? | The Boneyard

Has Mikayla Coombs Earned more playing time?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Some significant things happened in the Duquesne game: Mikayla played in the first half, she got into the game before Molly, and she got a lot of minutes in the second half. She also made some plays, and showed us why she was so highly ranked, not only by the recruiting services but by the UConn coaching staff that recruited her.

I think this means that she has finally demonstrated in practices that she is “getting” the Husky offense and defense. If so, that is a big development for the whole team, since it means that Geno has a third guard behind Crystal and Kia who is as physically talented as either of them. Until now, AEH and Molly have shared that “third guard” designation, but it’s rather obvious that Geno doesn’t really trust either of them in competitive games and situations. In those situations, when either Crystal or Kia has had to come out of the game, the replacement has been a forward, usually either Azurá or Megan. If Mikayla has progressed to the point that Geno can now replace a guard with a guard, that is a big deal for the team and bad news for opponents.

What other team has three guards with the basketball talent of Crystal, Kia, and Mikayla? If some other team does, do they play within a disciplined system as well as Crystal and Kia do, and now maybe also Mikayla?

Reaction Score
It was good to see Mikayla play well in the Duquesne game. She looked like the player we saw in the McD game. A hard nosed defender and I think that is her ticket to get minutes for UConn

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
It would be nice if an eighth player can emerge. Irwin also played well against Duquesne. AEH has had some moments. Batouly a big question mark. The conference schedule should provide some opportunities. An open question.

Geno has shown a willingness to go with seven, and has never gone more than seven deep in a National Championship game decided by 10 points or less.

Notre Dame has the best three backcourt players other than UConn IMHO. In a couple of weeks we will see how McCarty, Atkins and Higgs of Texas fare against us. That could be one of the best although not based on the Tennessee game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Reading too much from a few minutes in 1 game. The cream will rise to the top in it's own time.

As sure as the sun will rise in the east, The cream will rise to the top in it's own time. That's prophesying brother!! ;)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The OP on Mikayla is quite reasonable while the title of the thread is decidedly not reasonable. Being "in the doghouse" suggests that someone has done something to bring on disfavor and punishment. There is no evidence to suggest that is the case; it seems that Mikayla is a hardworking freshman who simply isn't ready for significant playing time. Perhaps the title can be amended to be a little less provocative and a little more accurate in describing what's going on with Mikayla.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The OP on Mikayla is quite reasonable while the title of the thread is decidedly not reasonable. Being "in the doghouse" suggests that someone has done something to bring on disfavor and punishment. There is no evidence to suggest that is the case; it seems that Mikayla is a hardworking freshman who simply isn't ready for significant playing time. Perhaps the title can be amended to be a little less provocative and a little more accurate in describing what's going on with Mikayla.
Done.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After MW, Coombs is the most highly rated recruit at UConn, and as others have pointed out she played well in several all star games demonstrating strong defensive and passing skills, both of which will earn you PT at UConn. The word on Mikayla is that she has struggled with her confidence.

During the Duquesne game Mikayla was absolutely tenacious on defense during the few minutes she played, prompting a supportive outburst by Geno during one sequence where she hounded one of Duquesne’s starting guards up the sideline forcing a TO.

It would be great if Mikayla can step up and give the Huskies a solid 3rd guard who can be used as part of the regular rotation.

Reaction Score
Some significant things happened in the Duquesne game: Mikayla played in the first half, she got into the game before Molly, and she got a lot of minutes in the second half. She also made some plays, and showed us why she was so highly ranked, not only by the recruiting services but by the UConn coaching staff that recruited her.

I think this means that she has finally demonstrated in practices that she is “getting” the Husky offense and defense. If so, that is a big development for the whole team, since it means that Geno has a third guard behind Crystal and Kia who is as physically talented as either of them. Until now, AEH and Molly have shared that “third guard” designation, but it’s rather obvious that Geno doesn’t really trust either of them in competitive games and situations. In those situations, when either Crystal or Kia has had to come out of the game, the replacement has been a forward, usually either Azurá or Megan. If Mikayla has progressed to the point that Geno can now replace a guard with a guard, that is a big deal for the team and bad news for opponents.

What other team has three guards with the basketball talent of Crystal, Kia, and Mikayla? If some other team does, do they play within a disciplined system as well as Crystal and Kia do, and now maybe also Mikayla?
Hope you are right re: more playing time for her, but could mean many things including Geno mad at someone else, good practice, etc. Not worth much conversation at this point.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I hope the OP is correct, though I tend to think it likely she will have more ups and downs in the near term. It really is tough for the freshman to learn the ropes at Uconn and it is seldom a straight line in their development. We have seen the same from Walker with some really good minutes and then some regression, and then some more positive minutes.

The thing I noticed was a fairly long spell for Kia and Lou as a back court combo and a few more minutes with Crystal and Lou, and both of those combinations seemed to work well.

And no one mentioned (that I saw) but Dangerfield didn't impress in Canada. Seems she has hit a little rough patch of her own - not disastrous, but not as good as what came before.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The thing I noticed was a fairly long spell for Kia and Lou as a back court combo and a few more minutes with Crystal and Lou, and both of those combinations seemed to work well.
The other part of that substitution pattern that I noticed is that Z came in for Crystal or Kia, creating significant matchup problems for the smaller players guarding Pheesa, Gabby & Lou, not to mention the difficulty of guarding a 6’6” post with range to the arc.

I strongly suspect Geno will “Go Big” at times against TX, SC, Lou, etc. to create similar matchup problems.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
And no one mentioned (that I saw) but Dangerfield didn't impress in Canada. Seems she has hit a little rough patch of her own - not disastrous, but not as good as what came before.
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I felt that way. My highly speculative take is that she is burnt out. My hope is that a little bit of Tennessee home cooking and some laughs with friends will be just what the doctor ordered.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought both Kyla and Mikayla "got some things done" against Duquesne (to use Geno's phrase). Though the minutes were still limited, Mikayla got earlier and more playing time than she has in a long while or maybe all season. She used her quickness and seemed to play hard. I hope she is turning the corner. All of the bench should get more PT against Memphis on Sunday and in most of the conference games. Freshman year at UConn is hard. The start of official practice was 2.5 months ago. Hopefully, the newbies are getting the hang of things a little more.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score

Somewhat related to this, I also noticed an interesting difference in the substitution patterns between KLS and the others on the team. With KLS, the general pattern (barring injuries and PFs) is she would be given a single 1 minute or so breather sometime in the middle of the 2nd quarter, and, depending on the timing of a break, she may sit out the last minute or so of the quarter. She would then play through the entire 3rd quarter. How early she leaves the game in the 4th quarter would clearly depend on the point margin at the time. In contrast, the others may get subbed in and out multiple times during the game.

Now, KLS may not play the most minutes in every game (if she isn't in a particular game, she usually has the second most minutes), but her substitution pattern is the steadiest on the team. I don't know what one can read into this, However, one possible interpretation would be that Geno implicitly regard her as the linchpin between the team's offence and defense.

Reaction Score
"The word on Mikayla is that she has struggled with her confidence." Where does this "word" come from? Who says so? Geno? Some super-secret source? Would much prefer to see "according to [insert actual source]......" Otherwise, the comment is really pretty meaningless. Also, I'm guessing that most freshmen suffer with their confidence.

Reaction Score
if there's a positive to being in a weaker conference it is that the starters can play fewer minutes and the rest of the team gets a chance to show who's ready to make a step up to meaningful playing time............I expect Walker to really assert herself in these games and hope that at least one of the other freshmen makes the big leap too..........these players will be needed next season so these minutes are invaluable.........

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
When I taught high school, but especially middle school, there was one principle I learned that served me very well when dealing with students of any age. And yes coaching is teaching. Every person has their own internal clock to learn. No one can change it. We all learn at different speeds. We all assimilate information at different speeds and in different ways. Freshman players, not only at UConn but elsewhere, "get it" at different times.

So not to worry about our talented frosh. We will see flashes of brilliance along with the "what was she thinking" moments for the rest of the season. Its all part of the growth of these young ladies and not just on the court but in their academics and in their personal lives. Megan has shown she can play and be a valuable sub. Espinoza-Hunter has shown flashes of what is to come and now a little from Coombs.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
"The word on Mikayla is that she has struggled with her confidence." Where does this "word" come from? Who says so? Geno? Some super-secret source? Would much prefer to see "according to [insert actual source]." Otherwise, the comment is really pretty meaningless. Also, I'm guessing that most freshmen suffer with their confidence.
The quote was attributed to Geno when he compared Mikayla to Kia but indicated that Mikayla lacked Kia's confidence.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
if there's a positive to being in a weaker conference it is that the starters can play fewer minutes and the rest of the team gets a chance to show who's ready to make a step up to meaningful playing time..I expect Walker to really assert herself in these games and hope that at least one of the other freshmen makes the big leap too.....these players will be needed next season so these minutes are invaluable....
Meg should be over the flu and ready to make up for lost time. She's way better athletically than almost everyone in the conference. I expect to see a 10-point game from her soon.

Reaction Score
The quote was attributed to Geno when he compared Mikayla to Kia but indicated that Mikayla lacked Kia's confidence.

Thank you! The attribution is appreciated and the context is meaningful.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
"Mikayla doesn't have any problems with the pace of things," Auriemma said. "She has her quickness and her ability to get to the basket. She reminds me of the way that Crystal Dangerfield was last year in practice the first month or so. She's too worried and unsure to take advantage of all of her talents. When that goes away then we'll start to see more of what she can do."

Freshman Mikayla Coombs finding her way

Notice the word "when" and not "if". Geno's got confidence in her.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Mikayla doesn't have any problems with the pace of things," Auriemma said. "She has her quickness and her ability to get to the basket. She reminds me of the way that Crystal Dangerfield was last year in practice the first month or so. She's too worried and unsure to take advantage of all of her talents. When that goes away then we'll start to see more of what she can do."

Freshman Mikayla Coombs finding her way

Now could you work on Batouly's injury report? ;)

Reaction Score

I can't say that Dangerfield failed to impress in Canada. She played as a classic PG and ran the team smoothly notching six assists and a steal. She wisely deferred to the hot hands to score, one of which deserved to be showcased before her Ontario home crowd.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom