Has Geno ever used a box and 1? | The Boneyard

Has Geno ever used a box and 1?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Not suggesting it, I'm not even sure that he's got anyone equal to the task. Just curious if anyone has any recollection of him using it in the past. Sure would be nice to bring Kia Nurse back for one more game, eh?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As I posted a few days ago, I think UConn will try to force the ball out of Clark’s hands as much as possible, either by doubling her early in the possession or hedging hard in high ball screens. Once the ball is out of Clark’s hands, Iowa’s offense is not nearly as effective.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
As I posted a few days ago, I think UConn will try to force the ball out of Clark’s hands as much as possible, either by doubling her early in the possession or hedging hard in high ball screens. Once the ball is out of Clark’s hands, Iowa’s offense is not nearly as effective.
Yes oldude, it seems anyone is less lethel than Caitlin. But we know from the past that others have stepped up in these situations, and the rest of their team is not bad. She will get her shots, we can hedge and double team also, but we cannot afford to acknowledge what the other players did to Kentucky. We don't know how good their big is, if their other 3 point shooters are really as good as they have shown. The first quarter may be like the Syracuse game, or we can attack the paint immediately. I don't think Paige will be aggressive early, depending on if Nika plays, and if she is effective. The key to this game other than slowing down Caitlin is Paiges mindset. Stay on point, don't get caught up in Caitlins game, and stick to the game plan. Be Paige Bueckers!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Exactly. Lots of in your face defense from, hopefully, Nika, Christyn, and Aubrey. But everyone will be aware of her if she gets by the first wall someone will be quick to pick her up and also there will be adjustments to cover the player the second wall has to leave. It's going to be an interesting game. We don't have to stop her, just slow her down and prevent the easy assist. Statistically we can score with them.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Thanks for the answers. I really was just curious about what we've done in the past with the Jewell Loyd and Angel McCoutrey-type players. My memory is consistent with ucbart's, a lot of hard denial, face guarding and aggressive help but no gimmick defense. With a lot of shooters, we'd talk about running them off the line but with Caitlin C, from what I've seen, she can be anywhere behind the line and launch her shot. Seems the teams that have beaten Iowa have done so by outscoring them so I guess you can't sacrifice O for D. Still, I'd be very impressed (and surprised) if Iowa and Cailtlin can score to their season's avg against us.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Patterson gave up 7" to Clark and KY's help defense was non-existent. Clark had no problem getting off her jump shot over a much shorter Patterson. Now consider Aubrey with her long arms contesting Clark's shot with a hand in her face, and it's a different ballgame.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Patterson gave up 7" to Clark and KY's help defense was non-existent.
Length is almost more important than quickness against Clark because she’ll just shoot over you. I’m sure this is a matchup Kia would have looked forward to.

Lobo broke down UConn’s defense against a top scorer during a halftime segment.

Reaction Score
Not suggesting it, I'm not even sure that he's got anyone equal to the task. Just curious if anyone has any recollection of him using it in the past. Sure would be nice to bring Kia Nurse back for one more game, eh?
I don't remember him ever using a box-in-one defense. He usually has a stopper like Nurse or Jefferson. He always uses a lot of switching defense against an opposing star player which is hard but when you well coached it works...

Reaction Score
I feel like Iowa shoots the 3 too well across the board for it to be effective (Iowa could use it on us because we don’t). Better off just staying close, switching perimeter screens, and then figuring out the screen and roll with Czinano since you don’t want to switch that. Probably double that, bring help for the roll, and rotate to shooters, which requires good communication and organization.

Iowa could also decide to just get the matchup they want if we switch everything - if they want Clark attacking Evina, Nika or Paige, they can get that switch and attack it. So we might need to throw different looks - occasionally doubling or fighting over the screen - so they don’t get comfortable.

Iowa also scores, so we also can’t overreact if something doesn’t work a couple times. If we run Clark off the line and she hits a tough two or dishes to Czinano, we can live with a few of those. Just don’t want to see Iowa playing pop a shot unguarded around the arc.

Reaction Score
Patterson gave up 7" to Clark and KY's help defense was non-existent. Clark had no problem getting off her jump shot over a much shorter Patterson. Now consider Aubrey with her long arms contesting Clark's shot with a hand in her face, and it's a different ballgame.
Concur with your assessment of KY's defense. Frankly, I was very disappointed with KY's approach to the game vs Iowa. It didnt appear they brought emotion, fire, or drive to the game.

Reaction Score
The existence of this thread demonstrates that we are too fixated on one player. If the premise is true that one player will not beat us, why worry about Caitlin so much? UConn's usual approach is to guard the opposing team, which assumes that teams at this level have a few players who can do harm. Kentucky was prepared to sacrifice a player to chase Clark, and it didn't work. Yet they continued to pursue Caitlin until the end of the game. Made no sense.
A big part of the fun of being a Husky fan is wondering how Geno will handle a given situation. He understands better than anyone what his players can do. I trust that he'll use his players to the best advantage.

Reaction Score
Love your posts generally! But you mentioned it!!
A box and one is a "trick" defense. It's putting a man on Clark with no help responsibilities and the rest of the team playing a 4 person zone. Talented teams don't play trick defenses.
I would postulate that strategies in general need to also accentuate your own team's strengths. In no way would this defense play to our strengths. It slows the game to a crawl. We are a team of "colts" and we are at our best in an up-tempo environment. Analogy: Michigan St- Indiana St 1979 Bird-Magic. Michigan St by far had the best talent position by position. Maybe Indiana St had the best player. Michigan St won rather easily because they had people to put on Bird to slow him down- Greg Kelser for one. We have talented basketball players to match up with Clark.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A couple of years ago an AAC coach, during the league tournament, claimed Geno briefly threw the box and 1 at his team. I think it was Jose' Fernandez. He may have been saying that for emphasis of his point about UConn switching defenses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom