Has anyone heard anything from Benedict? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Has anyone heard anything from Benedict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If UConn does not have the resources to fire Diaco on January 2, that is a glaring red flag that they do not belong at the FBS level. They should just drop back to FCS if they have to hang onto him longer than that.

If we don't have the resources, then whose bright idea was it to ratchet up the buyout? If that's the case, before the contract was signed, some bean counter should have been waving a red flag regarding a worst case scenario on the buyout amounts that were agreed to.

We are not, under any circumstances, going back to FCS. We'd have to bulldoze the Rent and build a new tiny stadium on campus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want him gone asap but don't want to reward him with an extra $1.5m

This is where I stand as well. If the University can't afford to fire him then just hire his replacement to take over the offense and make him a lame duck coach. Can his the second its financially possible.

Reaction Score
They have Diaco right on the very edge of the hot seat. These guys don't read the Boneyard.

Coaches Hot Seat Ranking

Right, wrong or indifferent - there aren't many media people outside of CT who think he will be fired this year. Most believe he gets another year. It could (and probably should) very well happen, but there is still a belief in CFB he gets 2017.

The likelihood he replaces both Offensive and Defensive Coordinators ala Willie Taggart would seem to be in play at this point.

Reaction Score
Right, wrong or indifferent - there aren't many media people outside of CT who think he will be fired this year. Most believe he gets another year. It could (and probably should) very well happen, but there is a belief he gets 2017.

The likelihood he replaces both Offensive and Defensive Coordinators ala Willie Taggart would seem to be in play at this point.

Replacing coordinators doesn't fix a head coach problem.

Reaction Score
C. Austin Cox‏@C_Austin_Cox
Sources: Bob Diaco will at least get 2017 to turn things around at #UConn. After getting an extension in May, his buyout is too high to fire

Dubious sources at best - he's the CR "blogger" who refused to believe the ESPN and the AP stories that Memphis was passed by early on. Jerked Memphis fans around by the collar hard till it was all said and done. (Again, could happen but this guy isn't getting the scoop or a leak).

Reaction Score
This thread gives me hope...

It does give me hope also...

Although it occurred to me that our definition of "hope" have really taken a hit lately.
6 weeks ago we were thinking that the P-5's Big 12 would be our savior from the gulag of the AAC. That was our fervent hope then.

Now with those hopes dashed; we get new hope from a thread that screams for the dismissal of a terrible football coach that has put yet another dagger in our program and our gut. Some day, things will work out and my hope is we're all alive to see it!!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Dubious sources at best - he's the CR "blogger" who refused to believe the ESPN and the AP stories that Memphis was passed by early on. Jerked Memphis fans around by the collar hard till it was all said and done. (Again, could happen but this guy isn't getting the scoop or a leak).

Yes, it's almost a hopeful sign.

Reaction Score
Benedict's decision depends solely on his own impression of Diaco's ability to turn it around. Doesn't matter what we think. Unless you want to write a big check, you can squawk all you want but nothing will happen until January at the earliest and the end of 2017 at the latest.
So what does 2017 portend? Can Donovan Williams come alive? (I doubt it). Where do our points come from? New formations? Better young players? Once Benedict puts all the data in the machine, he'll decide if the answer lies in relieving Diaco this January, next December, or giving him another extension after a championship year.

Reaction Score
Good lord huskymedic. Bob Diaco's world is rubbing off on you. You're chasing ghost sources. Get yourself squared away. The sources of value are no where else but Storrs CT.

The coach has said and done so many delusional and inexplicable things over three years, and is such a high functioning unstable individual with charisma, that he's in a million dollar salary job. I bet Benedict is just starting to realize that he's been the recipient of a fantastic sales job with Diaco.

The coach is a walking study for pre-psych majors learning about the DSM-IV .

If we keep him, he should agree to a full psych evaluation by an appropriate clinical psychologist as terms of continued employment.

I'm totally serious. Who knows, with a proper diagnosis, and some mood stabilizers and anti-psychotics, he might be a decent head coach.

If were going to be stuck with him, should explore all possibilities for improvement.

Yes - Carl Spackler from the boneyard thinks Diaco needs a serious mental health assessment.

Think about that.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Benedict's decision depends solely on his own impression of Diaco's ability to turn it around. Doesn't matter what we think. Unless you want to write a big check, you can squawk all you want but nothing will happen until January at the earliest and the end of 2017 at the latest.
So what does 2017 portend? Can Donovan Williams come alive? (I doubt it). Where do our points come from? New formations? Better young players? Once Benedict puts all the data in the machine, he'll decide if the answer lies in relieving Diaco this January, next December, or giving him another extension after a championship year.

Does anyone know if Diaco's contract allows him to pick his assistants? If he's back next year, I think he needs a new OC and DC as part of being allowed to stay. This staff cannot come back as it is.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Diaco's contract allows him to pick his assistants? If he's back next year, I think he needs a new OC and DC as part of being allowed to stay. This staff cannot come back as it is.

Yes - the right to select and retain all Asst Coaches but w/ Director approval which will not be unreasonably denied or delayed.

Reaction Score
Good lord huskymedic. Bob Diaco's world is rubbing off on you. You're chasing ghost sources. Get yourself squared away. The sources of value are no where else but Storrs CT.

The coach has said and done so many delusional and inexplicable things over three years, and is such a high functioning unstable individual with charisma, that he's in a million dollar salary job. I bet Benedict is just starting to realize that he's been the recipient of a fantastic sales job with Diaco.

The coach is a walking study for pre-psych majors learning about the DSM-IV .

If we keep him, he should agree to a full psych evaluation by an appropriate clinical psychologist as terms of continued employment.

I'm totally serious. Who knows, with a proper diagnosis, and some mood stabilizers and anti-psychotics, he might be a decent head coach.

If were going to be stuck with him, should explore all possibilities for improvement.

Yes - Carl Spackler from the boneyard thinks Diaco needs a serious mental health assessment.

Think about that.

Oops. My bad @huskymedic. You were correcting not citing. Scratch the first paragraph. The rest stays.

Reaction Score
1. We are NOT Texas. Why O Why would we be even near that conversation.

2. Diaco should be done. He has not shown the capacity to develop this Program into a Winner; and IMHO, that is still what should happen for our football and our fanbase. The RENT will be empty is the Number One reason something must be done for 2017.

3. Probably ... we do not have anyone supporting our Program that would gift even 20% of what is needed for that buyout. The person who said the Red Flag on the extension should have looked at this was 1000% correct. The Worst Case scenario has to be a large component of the discussion.

4. Most of those I have seen posting have modest insight into how this Program has to recruit to succeed. Edsall had components and was a good evaluator. (Diaco actually has some of that) But, grabbing any non-connected guy outside our key recruiting base with little connectivity to Florida should not be considered. PURE BS is not going to get us 4/5 star kids or even lots of 3 stars. You need to find the 2 star or unknowns that are project to far higher (and that can be done). The success is a finely crafted structure on the kids we should get.

5. I am not with any of you who think TJ Weist proved his mettle. I buy Joe Moorhead. A $1.0-1.2m HC contract has to double his Pay and he has the offensive chops; rebuilding history; and Northeast ties. I think I raise my notion of Benedict being able to raise 20% to 25% with Moorhead.

6. The Assistant Coaches? Go look at the range of coaching at the assistant levels of the AAC conference. Diaco guys are FAR more experienced at higher tier schools. This is a BIG Fail all down this staff. Lots of things to point at from a staff of guys that got paid - most likely - far more than virtually all the rest of the conference (and this level which includes MWC) other than Houston.

7. David Benedict? I judge him to be a Action guy. He wants to pull the trigger after these last 4 weeks.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Oops. My bad @huskymedic. You were correcting not citing. Scratch the first paragraph. The rest stays.

I posted the Tweet Carl. I wasn't suggesting that it was somehow indicative of an actual decision from the UConn administration or otherwise reliable, simply passing it along.

Reaction Score
I posted the Tweet Carl. I wasn't suggesting that it was somehow indicative of an actual decision from the UConn administration or otherwise reliable, simply passing it along.

I get it. I read through quick and thought medic posted it first. That impression surprised the hell out me. Then I saw another post and realized I was wrong.

Reaction Score
If we don't have the resources, then whose bright idea was it to ratchet up the buyout? If that's the case, before the contract was signed, some bean counter should have been waving a red flag regarding a worst case scenario on the buyout amounts that were agreed to.

We are not, under any circumstances, going back to FCS. We'd have to bulldoze the Rent and build a new tiny stadium on campus.
Nick, great points. The problem with Uconn athletics is no one is in charge. Everyone we hire wants to move on (except Hathaway and there was a reason for that). There is no continuity in the program. Benedict will be looking to get out as soon as he can. Susan too. Even Diaco, although he's certainly not going anywhere volutarily. This place is a resume builder. They need to find someone talented that actually wants to be here, but that's not going to be easy. I'm thinking it was a mistake to let TJ go. We need anyone who can coach offense. Anyone.

Reaction Score
Good coordinators do mask the problem though... which I suppose is something at this point.
Case in point James Franklin at PSU...he isn't a very good game coach and basically brought in Joe Moorehead in a last ditch effort to save his job. Looks like it may have panned out for both of them...Moorehead checking another box as OC for a top 10 program in addition to his other stops will be a top HC candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom