Has Anyone Ever Sat Behind the Bench at a UConn BB Game? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Has Anyone Ever Sat Behind the Bench at a UConn BB Game?

Reaction Score
Not behind the bench but across from the bench for years. I remember one tirade by JC when they were playing Fairfield. Antric Klaiber threw the ball inbounds with like 4-5 seconds but Fairfield steal the pass, maybe John Tice, and score at the buzzer. JC let Klaiber know that he should go into the Fairfield locker room.

Reaction Score
At Gampel I've sat on the baseline, behind the hoop, right by the end of the UConn bench many times. Right where Conor sits while the action is going on and directly behind the cheerleaders.

It 100% adds to the experience. Being able to hear and see exactly what the coaches and the bench are saying and doing adds an element to the game atmosphere. You feel so much more invested in the game, and occasionally a player or the ball will end up in your lap.
I've been reading through this thread stewing in jealousy at all you lucky and/or rich bastards who had such good seats. It didn't occur to me until you mentioned the cheerleaders that I literally sat ON THE COURT for dozens of home and tournament games as a cheerleader. So weird the way the mind works (or doesn't).

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I've been reading through this thread stewing in jealousy at all you lucky and/or rich bastards who had such good seats. It didn't occur to me until you mentioned the cheerleaders that I literally sat ON THE COURT for dozens of home and tournament games as a cheerleader. So weird the way the mind works (or doesn't).
I am extremely lucky. My dad and his buddies have the seats I was mentioning. Only when I go with them do I have the privilege of sitting close. Being a cheerleader is a good gig - especially if you’re a hoops fan.

Reaction Score
Not exactly the UConn bench, but I was once right next to the opposing teams bench. Back when I was a student in 1992. A floor mate was harassing Rollie Massimino the whole game. At the end of the game when they were leaving the court, he yells at Rollie "You Lost, you meatball", and Rollie goes beserk. Jay Wright had to wrestle him out of the stands and he was swinging. Only loss to that point was at the Villanova. It was a real old Big East Battle. I think the ref Valentine walked by a little later and said what did you guy say ?, laughed and walked away.

1/27/1992
ESPN
No. 6VillanovaW 72–5816–1 (7–1)Harry A. Gampel Pavilion (8,241)
Storrs, Connecticut

Reaction Score
1598693792001.png

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Against UCF at Orlando, two years ago. The game before that got seats behind UCF bench. *ducking*. I didn't know. Tried to guess visitors bench.

Reaction Score
Or a few rows behind the bench, so that you were in earshot of any conversations on the bench?

If so , can you recall any memorable conversations or excerpts from conversations, between the head coach and an assistant, or between the assistants, or between the head coach and players, or between an assistant and a player, or between the players?

Or, if you were close enough, did you hear anything memorable from a huddle on the floor?
Never sat behind the bench at a men's game but sat behind the bench at the women's games several times during the very late 90's and early 2000's. My girlfriend and I both sat next to Lew Perkins right behind the bench a couple of times, and saw and heard some things on the bench that raised our eyebrows. Lol

Reaction Score
Yes! In the 1st round of the 1999 NCAA tourney I got 2 tickets via the Athletic Dept for the games in Denver where they beat UTSA and New Mexico. Truly a thrill to watch and listen to them being coached by JC, especially when they were struggling early in the UTSA game.

Reaction Score
a few times best thing I remember was some old guy probably 70s giving it to Calhoun. At one point Calhoun had enough turned to him and said “sit down and shut the bleep up”

guy didn’t say a word rest of game. Players on bench were holding in laughter

Reaction Score
Never sat behind the bench at a men's game but sat behind the bench at the women's games several times during the very late 90's and early 2000's. My girlfriend and I both sat next to Lew Perkins right behind the bench a couple of times, and saw and heard some things on the bench that raised our eyebrows. Lol
Not to start a new thread or anything, but since you were right there, did Geno or one of his assistants, exhort the ladies with gentle encouragement , forcefulness, or "colorful words?" Not sure anyway, if the latter approach would work under these circumstances or if it would be taken well by the players.

Reaction Score
The closest I ever got was in the early 1980's at the Civic Center. I didn't have any tickets so my GF & I, at the time, were looking for extra tickets outside the gate. I almost bought some off a scalper but some guy came up to me and offered two at face value ($25 each). The scalper told the guy he would give him $300 for the pair. Guy said no way. I asked him why and he said he would rather a young couple get to sit in the seats vs a scalper selling them for a profit. Four rows behind UConn bench vs Syracuse. Game was a sellout. Some may remember this game as there was a clock issue at the end with Syr ahead. Nose picker took his team to the locker room trying to force the game to end. Refs brought team back and put a couple secs on the clock.. I think UConn ended up winning. Long time ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom