Has any other UConn freshman taken this much ownership? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Has any other UConn freshman taken this much ownership?

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Prior to this season, Geno has gone on record stating only one UCONN recruit came out of HS ready for College and that was Maya Moore.. Paige has certainly to this point added her name to the conversation, let's hope she continues to plead her case to dethrone Her Majesty Maya Moore ... :)

The following is a reflection on Maya's Freshman year:

Moore led the Huskies to a 36–2 record in the 2007–08 NCAA season, their best record (at that point) since their Final Four appearance of 2004. During the season, Moore averaged a team-high 17.8 points per game, and hit 42% of her three-point shots. Moore also placed second on the team in rebounds with 7.6 per game and blocks with 1.6 per game. She tallied double-figure points 36 times as a freshman including 13 20-plus game, posted 11 double-doubles and set UConn freshman records for points (678), field goals game (275), three-point field goals (73), while ranking among the top five on the rookie charts for scoring average (tied/4th – 13.8 ppg.), rebounds (2nd – 290), assists (5th – 116), steals (tied/6th – 63), and blocks (3rd – 59). Her 678 points broke the UConn single-season record for most points as a freshman (678) breaking the mark set by Svetlana Abrosimova, who had 538 in 1997–98, and besting Tamara James (Miami, Fla.) previous BIG EAST Freshman record total of 650. She tied with Diana Taurasi with a consecutive double-figure scoring record with 31 games. She ranked sixth among BIG EAST scoring leaders at 17.8 ppg, 11th among BIG-EAST rebounding leaders at 7.6 rpg, finished in seventh place among BIG-EAST field goal percentage leaders at .543, ranked fifth among BIG EAST's leaders in three-point field goal percentage at .420.

Moore was named BIG EAST Freshman of the Week a conference record 10 times, passing former UConn standout Rebecca Lobo (7) for most selections in BIG EAST history, became the first-ever freshman in BIG EAST Conference history to be recognized as Player of the Week on March 4, she was also named Freshman of the Week, marking the first time the conference weekly honors have been swept by the same player. She was second to Candace Parker in the Associated Press Player of the Year voting and was the first freshman, male or female, to be named the Big East Player of the Year. Only second freshman in history to be named to the Associated Press All-America First Team, USBWA All-America First Team. She was selected as USBWA National Freshman of the Year, also named as the unanimous choice for BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and was a 2008 All-BIG-EAST First Team choice.. She is the first freshman in UConn history to be named as an All-America selection.

Reaction Score
Prior to this season, Geno has gone on record stating only one UCONN recruit came out of HS ready for College and that was Maya Moore.. Paige has certainly to this point added her name to the conversation, let's hope she continues to plead her case to dethrone Her Majesty Maya Moore ... :)

Moore led the Huskies to a 36–2 record in the 2007–08 NCAA season, their best record (at that point) since their Final Four appearance of 2004. During the season, Moore averaged a team-high 17.8 points per game, and hit 42% of her three-point shots. Moore also placed second on the team in rebounds with 7.6 per game and blocks with 1.6 per game. She tallied double-figure points 36 times as a freshman including 13 20-plus game, posted 11 double-doubles and set UConn freshman records for points (678), field goals game (275), three-point field goals (73), while ranking among the top five on the rookie charts for scoring average (tied/4th – 13.8 ppg.), rebounds (2nd – 290), assists (5th – 116), steals (tied/6th – 63), and blocks (3rd – 59). Her 678 points broke the UConn single-season record for most points as a freshman (678) breaking the mark set by Svetlana Abrosimova, who had 538 in 1997–98, and besting Tamara James (Miami, Fla.) previous BIG EAST Freshman record total of 650. She tied with Diana Taurasi with a consecutive double-figure scoring record with 31 games. She ranked sixth among BIG EAST scoring leaders at 17.8 ppg, 11th among BIG-EAST rebounding leaders at 7.6 rpg, finished in seventh place among BIG-EAST field goal percentage leaders at .543, ranked fifth among BIG EAST's leaders in three-point field goal percentage at .420.

Moore was named BIG EAST Freshman of the Week a conference record 10 times, passing former UConn standout Rebecca Lobo (7) for most selections in BIG EAST history, became the first-ever freshman in BIG EAST Conference history to be recognized as Player of the Week on March 4, she was also named Freshman of the Week, marking the first time the conference weekly honors have been swept by the same player. She was second to Candace Parker in the Associated Press Player of the Year voting and was the first freshman, male or female, to be named the Big East Player of the Year. Only second freshman in history to be named to the Associated Press All-America First Team, USBWA All-America First Team. She was selected as USBWA National Freshman of the Year, also named as the unanimous choice for BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and was a 2008 All-BIG-EAST First Team choice.. She is the first freshman in UConn history to be named as an All-America selection.

I don't know about taking ownership of a team, but Maya was freakishly good/skilled in her freshman year. That's when I became a Uconn fan.

and people don't even count Maya with all her accomplishments at Uconn in the GOAT debate (between Dee and Stewie) and now some people already crowns Paige as the future GOAT of all WCBB after 14 games. Let's just pump the brake a little bit.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Let's just pump the brake a little bit.
You can pump the brakes if you want; I'm going to enjoy the ride and hope we don't hit a wall. FWIW, I remember Maya walking out as a freshman and instantly being the best athlete on the floor. It's a great memory which should not be diminished or challenged because another freshman is playing exceptionally well a dozen years later. Unlike most places, UConn has room for a handful of GOATs.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I am curious to see who comes up big against SC. I have no doubt Paige will do her part but I cant see her going for 30 with Dawn doing everything to make others beat her.

Interesting point of view. SC hasn't faced anyone like Paige this season.

Will Dawn change her defensive scheme to try to stop one player? I don't think so but I'm sure she will have a wrinkle or two.

The problem is if you try to double Paige someone else is open and Paige will find her the vast majority of the time. Then you need to rely on your help defense. And can SC defend the pick and roll all night?

It will be a test for both teams.

If it comes down to coaching, we have the edge.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I have some vague recollection. As a freshman she was playing with Tina Charles and Renee Montgomery... did she own the joint from day one? I mean Paige is flat out saying "this is all on me and I'm good with that". BTW, I think it's true that I don't have the memory I once did... I mean I don't remember having a better memory but I must have, right?
You may want to watch Maya's first game as a freshman...and all of her other games that year! Even Geno regularly talks about Maya being the exception to freshmen who come in and have to adapt to the college game. She was Paige before Paige, just not a PG.

Reaction Score
Paige, Stewie, Maya and Dee wouldn’t they make a great starting four! I would have loved to see these 4 play together as freshman and beyond.....! Who would be your fifth?
Tina as the 5, Stewie as the 4, Maya as the 3, DT as the 2 and Paige as the PG

Reaction Score
Nah. Not like this. On this level and doing what Paige has done so far...Nah.

Reaction Score

Big shoes for anyone to fill...

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
I don't know about taking ownership of a team, but Maya was freakishly good/skilled in her freshman year. That's when I became a Uconn fan.

and people don't even count Maya with all her accomplishments at Uconn in the GOAT debate (between Dee and Stewie) and now some people already crowns Paige as the future GOAT of all WCBB after 14 games. Let's just pump the brake a little bit.

That's 678 points folks from a player listed at 6'-0" but played like she was 6'-4"
The most complete female basket ball player I have ever seen played the game to date... MM=MJ=SKILL&EFFORT=HUMAN HIGHLIGHT REELS.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Comparisons anyone?

And there you have it folks... Simply a thing of beauty :)
"How does she do that?!" So nice, you have to play them twice...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom