Harvey Araton writes about Stewie in NY Times | The Boneyard

Harvey Araton writes about Stewie in NY Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks for this. Nothing against Jim, Carl, John, and Rich, they keep us up to date and must play by different rules, but what a delight to read an "old grey lady" quality article on UConn WBB, and in this case, Stewie. It is ...exquisite. :)

Reaction Score
Stewie is the quintessential team player! Completely selfless! From signing her LOI on the hood of a car, to her inauspicious beginnings at Storrs, to her first heroic final four, to her lament that Moriah was not awarded the MOP in their third National Championship, to today, where she will sacrifice any personal achievements for the improvement of her team - she is the most unique athlete I have ever seen. I have no doubt that she could score a quadruple double in every game if she chose to, but that would not help the team. As Geno says, Stewie does what is necessary for the team to win. We are by far the most blessed fans in America to witness so much greatness through these many Geno years, but never more than the last four with Stewie.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Javaman - agree, though I think a few times every year members of the standard horde wax 'poetical' when they can get a break from the day to day.

By the way, the old WSJ used to do a few feature articles about Uconn each year that were usually very good - i have seen one in a few years and forget who the reporter was. Have I just missed them, or has he moved on and the WSJ dropped all its coverage?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
good story... glad she mentioned that she doesn't care for the "men" labels

Reaction Score
Stewie is the quintessential team player! Completely selfless! From signing her LOI on the hood of a car, to her inauspicious beginnings at Storrs, to her first heroic final four, to her lament that Moriah was not awarded the MOP in their third National Championship, to today, where she will sacrifice any personal achievements for the improvement of her team - she is the most unique athlete I have ever seen. I have no doubt that she could score a quadruple double in every game if she chose to, but that would not help the team. As Geno says, Stewie does what is necessary for the team to win. We are by far the most blessed fans in America to witness so much greatness through these many Geno years, but never more than the last four with Stewie.

While I was incredibly impressed watching Stewie's gritty 'Purple Heart' performance in last year's National Championship game, fighting through that painfully rolled ankle to get the job done, I was just as impressed while literally moved to tears when Stewie selflessly declared "I didn't deserve it, the MOP should have gone to Moriah." Who does that- what 20-year old kid would think that and have the courage to admit that, at such a huge moment, before a national audience? Stewie is an extraordinarily gifted yet humble basketball player as well as a young lady of enormous character.

You hit the nail on the head, Denny. UConn Women's Basketball fans are truly the most blessed fans in all of WCBB. My profound thanks for all the joy Stewie (and all her teammates) gives us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stewie, Stewie, Stewie. Very nice, we have been so lucky to have her. Let's not forget Morgan and Mo.

Reaction Score
Thanks for this. Nothing against Jim, Carl, John, and Rich, they keep us up to date and must play by different rules, but what a delight to read an "old grey lady" quality article on UConn WBB, and in this case, Stewie. It is ...exquisite. :)
I see that you have the posting listed, and also that someone else has posted it---probably this should be removed now. I just didn't want the fans to miss Araton's article!

Reaction Score
Best line of the piece, in reference to crunch time, "She has to locate her inner Taurasi."

Twelve years, five chamionships and six AA's later we still return to referencing the player that most defines the UCONN mentality when we need to highlight what it takes to get you up the mountain.

Great story about Stewie, the player and the person.

Reaction Score
While I was incredibly impressed watching Stewie's gritty 'Purple Heart' performance in last year's National Championship game, fighting through that painfully rolled ankle to get the job done, I was just as impressed while literally moved to tears when Stewie selflessly declared "I didn't deserve it, the MOP should have gone to Moriah..
+++++++ Although the announcers declared her "okay" (IIRC, she said the same coming out for the 2nd half), it was clear that after the ankle roll, she played defense, took a few outside shots, and generally was an offensive decoy. Thanks so much for reminding us!

Reaction Score
Moriah and Morgan are incredible. However, it is Breanna who is transcendent. Nobody in women's college basketball can do what she can do: rebound, block shots, make great passes, deflect and steal passes, shoot from 3, post up, drive and take a two straight on or bank it in, hit the jump hook. Did I miss anything? She is in a category all her own.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Moriah and Morgan are incredible. However, it is Breanna who is transcendent. Nobody in women's college basketball can do what she can do: rebound, block shots, make great passes, deflect and steal passes, shoot from 3, post up, drive and take a two straight on or bank it in, hit the jump hook. Did I miss anything? She is in a category all her own.
That's why Stewie will be in Rio.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hey - Inch for inch, Moriah is the best blocker on the team! She is very proud of her 12 and don't you disparage them! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom