Hartley, the miracle worker | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hartley, the miracle worker

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ive read alot of posts that ask the question why are freshman on other teams so good and the freshman at UConn arent performing as well. Well at UConn the coaching staff, breaks them down and rebuilds them. Getting rid of their bad habits and instilling the correct habits. If you wonder just look at Kelly BB and some of the past players...how bout Stef. Freshman on some other teams come in and are never developed, UConn freshman go through growing pains, as they learn the right way to play and correct fundementals. If you look at the development of players on other teams there is in most cases no comparison looking at their freshman year to their senior year and then looking at UConn freshmans year to their senior year. JMO
Very nice observation Tony.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I was doubtful it would play out like that.
Your position was correct.
Mine was not.
Hallelujah, team looked great.

I signed in for the sole reason of giving you props for admitting error. That's unusual on the Internet, and is a good test of character. Way to go msf22b!! ..... or Michael I take it?

I still think you're a bit negative overall though, but perhaps that's my error :).

Kirk Sinclair
Norfolk, CT

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Geno's hi-low portion of the motion offense is neither genius or insanity but rather an extension of what a motion offense can do with the proper personnel. Which Geno did not have last year. With Stewart and KML (and Faris to a degree - depends on who is guarding her), Dolson has someone to run the hi-low with. Didn't have that last year. Hopefully next year, if Stokes progresses, she will be able to run this also.

In the future, I can see Stewart being the "hi" part of the hi-low portion of the motion offense (with Stokes as the low). She has the ability to shoot from out, and drive. Still not sure of her passing as yet though. Hopefully that will come.

I have seen flashes of Kiah running the high post, though not as savvy as Stef (yet) - I think that the two (Stewie and Kiah) may switch off from time to time...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have seen flashes of Kiah running the high post, though not as savvy as Stef (yet) - I think that the two (Stewie and Kiah) may switch off from time to time...
I'd be happy with that. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The miracle worker
The original "Miracle Worker" is actually from my town. (or at least a part of it - Feeding Hills, MA - same schools, government, police, fire, etc. different post office/zip). We gotta statue of her and everything.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think a good example of a team not developing a player is Duke with Elizabeth Williams. She is immensely talented and really hasn't improved by leaps and bounds like she should have by this point. Yes, I know she was injured. But just look at how much better Stef got after one year, and Williams has twice the amount of talent that Stef does athletically. This isn't a new complaint about Duke's coach, I have read it on their board as well. She can recruit, obviously, but I am not impressed with how they develop their players.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
the kid has to WANT it... not the coach. These kids are more interested in dressing up, hair and make-up, clubbin, drinking and not going above the normal practice time.

Reaction Score
The original "Miracle Worker" is actually from my town. (or at least a part of it - Feeding Hills, MA - same schools, government, police, fire, etc. different post office/zip). We gotta statue of her and everything.
ANNIE SULLIVAN teacher for HELEN KELLER is that who we are talking of
IRA

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
the kid has to WANT it... not the coach. These kids are more interested in dressing up, hair and make-up, clubbin, drinking and not going above the normal practice time.
I don't disagree with your post in general, but nothing I know of EW would suggest she has much in the way of distraction...well, maybe wanting to be a doctor, but that's it. Duke has had a lot of talented recruits but hasn't seen a Final Four since 2006. After what I saw earlier this month in Storrs, I'm not at all convinced they get there this season either. They just lack an edge and an identity- basically always have since Coach G left.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well the coach has to recruit kids who are going to want to improve too. Granted Geno has missed a couple time with some of his recruits who never really got that. It's hard to really know the kids make-up, and kids change at that age also.

Reaction Score
Well the coach has to recruit kids who are going to want to improve too. Granted Geno has missed a couple time with some of his recruits who never really got that. It's hard to really know the kids make-up, and kids change at that age also.
GENO talked of this in recent days as he lamented that too often you dont know
until after they are on campus what you are getting
IRA

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with your post in general, but nothing I know of EW would suggest she has much in the way of distraction...well, maybe wanting to be a doctor, but that's it. Duke has had a lot of talented recruits but hasn't seen a Final Four since 2006. After what I saw earlier this month in Storrs, I'm not at all convinced they get there this season either. They just lack an edge and an identity- basically always have since Coach G left.
some of these ladies think they are already good enough... no additional work needs to be done.
Measuring sticks aren't being used

Reaction Score
some of these ladies think they are already good enough... no additional work needs to be done.
Measuring sticks aren't being used
while I agree that KML has regained her stature as number one WCBB player in the
class of 2012 from EW who was the top FR
I do believe her injury has impacted her and
one has to laugh about alex's comment her not having anything on her mind
'well maybe wanting to be a DR' LMAO
IRA

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I just think some coaches are better at developing players, and some are better at recruiting talent. We are super lucky as UConn fans that Geno excels at both.

Reaction Score
I wonder what makes you think this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall