Hartley gets my vote for "Most Improved" this year. | The Boneyard

Hartley gets my vote for "Most Improved" this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Rich Elliott had a good column in the Courant today that was a big cheer for Bria's development from last year to this year.

I have been trying to find time to write this post for a few days.

I think Rich is on target. Bria is bigger, stronger, faster, more confident, more assertive, and a whole lot smarter. A year ago, she was a very accomplished freshman with BIG responsibilities. But she had a lot to learn and was often having to think what to do next rather than play by instinct.

It's a different world for her now. She has had a whole year of learning UConn's system. She is a veteran now -- no longer a "rookie". She has put on about ten pounds of muscle. She has a college body now, not the just out of high school body she had last year. She is playing by instinct now. She is playing much faster. She brings the ball up court now with Lorin Dixon like speed and aggressiveness.

She was the starting point guard / 2 guard on the USA u-19 team last summer.

JMHO -- but I think a good case can be made that Bria is the best combo guard in the country now. And she is getting better every day, every game. She is a smart kid, a winner, a really hard worker, a team leader. A great teammate. If you offered me an even trade for Skylar Diggins right now -- I would say "No thanks. I'm sticking with Bria.

I think she is the most improved player on the UConn roster.

Three cheers for you, Bria.

Reaction Score
I agree, an excellent, unselfish team player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Bria is an outstanding player. I still think, though, she has too many TOs and maybe forces things a little. But she is a clutch shooter with an array of offensive moves, an improved defender, and a tough competitor. She is still very young and still improving, but at a rapid rate. The chemistry between her and Kaleena is very good. Each makes the other better. Her play so far this year reminds me of Renee's play as a junior--when she was named an All-American. She also is not far behind where Sue was as a sophomore. If Bria plays like Renee Montgomery and Sue Bird, she will have a great career.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Hartley has a better A/TO (1.6) than Doty (1.25). She had a couple of rough games when it didn't matter but her A/TO is 2.4 in the two games where turnovers might have been a problem.

Like many great players, maybe she rises to the quality of the opposition.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
not saying that she hasn't improve but she was very solid last year IMO

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Think OldeCoach might have jinxed Bria tonight. :)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
it happens...

Dolson didnt look good also

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Two nights in a row I watched games involving teams I like.

Thursday, the Steelers: had a mess of stupid penalties; a fumble on the Cleveland 15 and another fumble on the Cleveland 5; failed to score in 4 plays after first down on the 2; center and QB both badly injured; but they won somehow, 14-3.

Tonight I watched that UConn juggernaught stumble around while not scoring for about seven minutes after committing a month's worth of fouls in the first half. Gut they won.

Once again, we are reminded that there are no style points. It's not figure skating or diving, it's all about the final score. Take the W and get on the bus.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

Thursday, the Steelers: had a mess of stupid penalties; a fumble on the Cleveland 15 and another fumble on the Cleveland 5; failed to score in 4 plays after first down on the 2; center and QB both badly injured; but they won somehow, 14-3.

Tonight I watched that UConn juggernaught stumble around while not scoring for about seven minutes after committing a month's worth of fouls in the first half. Gut they won.

Once again, we are reminded that there are no style points. It's not figure skating or diving, it's all about the final score. Take the W and get on the bus.
well said...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Often indeed it is just get the job done.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Just the kind of game I really dislike. The refs blow the whistle every other possession just so they can catch their breath.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just the kind of game I really dislike. The refs blow the whistle every other possession just so they can catch their breath.
Who was the crew?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Felicia Grinter, Bonita Spence, Diana Depaul

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So Bonita made another appearance. Now that is something to keep UConn fans on the edge of their seats. I was wondering if that was vtc's reference to whistles and the inability of the officials to keep up.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

So basically you are saying it's your fault? ;)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
So basically you are saying it's your fault? ;)
I don't think so. I can't accuse myself of jinxing either team since one (Stillers) is 10-3 and the other is 9-0. Perhaps some of the players have procrastinated on doing their Christmas shopping and their focus is on whether that low-price iPad on Overstock.com will work or not on December 26.

Reaction Score
I love how Bria plays, she is my favorite player on the team. This kid plays with as much passion as any great player we have had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom