Hartford? | The Boneyard

Hartford?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Going to first game at XL Center. What fun things are there to do in Hartford Saturday night?
The best thing about Hartford is making the long trip to NYC.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
another thread filled with hateful dumb.
let's see what SFGate rec's for this weekend here, shall we?
'The 40th annual Northeast RV & Camping Show, one of the largest in New England, will take place at the Hartford venue from Jan. 27 - 29.'
a big deal cuz
The industry's annual economic output has increased by 23% in the past three years, according to a 2022 study produced by the RV Industry Association, a national trade association representing RV manufacturers.
40th Northeast RV & Camping Show coming to Hartford on Jan. 27-29

imagine that, and they knew all this from 3,500 miles away.
40th Northeast RV & Camping Show - Connecticut Convention Center
ya also got a hockey game, the Wads with a glass expo, some theater stuff, food, and other various and sundry diversions to find iffn the question is sincere.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Going to first game at XL Center. What fun things are there to do in Hartford Saturday night?
I will guarantee you can get a very nice meal. We visited Hartford many times years ago, following Rutgers and attending the BE tournament. There were a number of nice restaurants then and I'm sure there still are. It is part of being a big city.

As to other "fun" stuff, I have no idea. As we traveled the country we found some cities with a lot of fun stuff, others basically rolled up the sidewalks evenings and weekends.

Reaction Score
The XL is in the middle of a ghost town. Not much there, sorry. There is an RV show happening, but it's kinda boring unless you're into that. Can't get anything but a hot dog there..

Reaction Score
Be very careful. The stairs are very steep and dangerously slippery. I went to one game and that was one too many.

Reaction Score
We went ice skating a few weeks ago. It was all free. Had a nice time. My girls went riding last fall at the Ebony Horsefarm. They enjoyed that.
EHI
So, there are things to do...just can't speak to "Saturday" night.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
FC2F0187-E30E-438F-9E72-757E0D635122.jpeg

Reaction Score
People that can't find fun are just lazy. I've never understood the bashing of Hartford by locals. I moved to Chicago from Wethersfield years ago after being recruited at college. I go "home" often to visit family. There are many fun things to do in Hartford. During the day visit the Mark Twain house, probably the best museum of a famous author. Harriet Beecher Stowe's house is right next door. Or visit the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art. It rivals big city art museums. Check out the Connecticut Science Center, especially if you're coming with children. Go skating in Bushnell Park and enjoy Hartford's beautiful architecture. At night, the regional theater is excellent. Hartford Stage has won the Tony for regional theater! There's also the Bushnell Center for Performing Arts, Real Art Ways and Theatre Works. Like live music? I love the atmosphere at the Arch Street Tavern. For food, the Capital Grille is right around the corner from Arch Street. Hartford has many other excellent fine and casual restaurants including Max Downtown, Salute, Bear's Smokehouse BBQ and Agave. The local brewery scene is booming. Like comedy, check out the Sea Tea Comedy Theater. As you can see, if you like fun, you can find it in Hartford. Don't listen to the stuck in the mud locals!

Reaction Score
Bear's Smokehouse. Also Mozzicato bakery (not downtown but it's not a big city). you could always check if anyplace has trivia or such, like Arch St. Tavern. There's a paved walkway by the river if you want to walk - you can boat there too if it's summertime. If you have kids, the CT Science Center is there and pretty awesome. There is a Brewery over near Dillon Stadium I believe if you are into that sort of thing. Other than that, mostly is entertainment like basketball games, yard goats games, hockey games, concerts, soccer games - but of course those are seasonal and you are already going to a bball game :)

Reaction Score
oh there's also a duckpin bowling alley i believe; there's elizabeth park (beautiful, although it's the off-season). You could find dave & buster's in manchester, 15 mins away. Pratt St. right by the XL center has a couple of cute shops too, such as Hartford Prints.

Reaction Score
One reason Hartford has the rep that it does, few participate anymore. Back in the 70’s and 80’s things were booming and relatively safe. The Insurance companies and banks kept people in town after hours but Hartford still had a reputation of having the largest (per capita) influx of commuters and many come Friday night headed to the burbs. Channel 3 left, bank after bank consolidation, G Fox closed-up, no real revitalization plan by the politicians putting the city in a hole, for some reason we lost the 1st and 2nd round NCAA’s (men’s), along with other events previously held at the Civic/XL Center so the uphill battle began, but still a lot to do, you just need to dig a little.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom