OT: - Hartford to DIII | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Hartford to DIII

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sorry, I still think you have it wrong. The term shouldn't be skill set, but physical talent set.
I played D3 at Washington and Lee Univ. In my time, we were nationally recognized, one year ranked nationally as high as #4. In my 3 years playing there we averaged about 20 wins. We beat Randolph-Macon, the D2 runnerup to UT-Chattanooga, James Madison, right at their switch to D1, UNC-Greensboro and our school annually played in the UVA tipoff tournament. My best friend covered Wally Walker. W&L is located literally feet away from VMI. The year before I started there, VMI made it to the Men's Elite 8. Great team and program, we went to a few games. We also played pickup with the Veemees in the spring. A couple of our players knew a couple of theirs from camps. They were not more skilled than us! They were physically better than us. Our center was 6'5, 6'6 or maybe 6'7, there's was 6'10. Same kind of comparison at each position. We worked on our games and dedicated ourselves to the game as much or more than they did.
Yes, that would be a better way to say it.

I've seen a few televised DIII tourney games and they were very entertaining. I have nothing but respect for players at the DII and DIII level.

I have seen a number of D1 assistants that took their first HC job at a team with less talented players and, while I'm sure there are many factors affecting their success / failure I have actually seen at least 2 instances where the coach could not adjust their style to the talent of the players they had. I realize after the fact that assuming Morgen would have that issue was way off base.

Reaction Score
And Scott Rueck went from D3 to Oregon St. And several other successful D3 coaches have gotten D1 jobs. Again, this is not about D3. It is about a programming DOWNGRADING.

Having your job go from D1 to D3 is not good for anyone's career. And as I said, coaching a D1 program that's downgrading is going to be an awful experience.
There are two quite decent D3 conferences close by that have strong programs. Tufts is one of them; Buffalo was D3 until they decided to upgrade. The transition would be difficult, but once Hartford is fully operational as D3, it could help general recruiting immensely. Being associated with such fine liberal arts schools will help their academic image in a big way.

Reaction Score
There are two quite decent D3 conferences close by that have strong programs. Tufts is one of them; Buffalo was D3 until they decided to upgrade. The transition would be difficult, but once Hartford is fully operational as D3, it could help general recruiting immensely. Being associated with such fine liberal arts schools will help their academic image in a big way.
D3 has high end schools like NESCAC but also a lot of average ones. UHart would be competing against St Joe’s, Albertus Magnus, Eastern Ct, Western Ct.
Their best chance at a conference may be the NECC which will be down to 5 members — Mitchell, Bay Path, Lesley, Eastern Nazarene, and New England Coll.

Reaction Score
D3 has high end schools like NESCAC but also a lot of average ones. UHart would be competing against St Joe’s, Albertus Magnus, Eastern Ct, Western Ct.
Their best chance at a conference may be the NECC which will be down to 5 members — Mitchell, Bay Path, Lesley, Eastern Nazarene, and New England Coll.
What about the league with the Coast Guard Academy? I tried to get one of my players to consider going there.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What about the league with the Coast Guard Academy? I tried to get one of my players to consider going there.
The NEWMAC conference would be a good place for Hartford to land. The conference currently consists of 11 New England colleges, some of which are coed and some predominantly women’s schools. In addition to Coast Guard, the NEWMAC boasts MIT, WPI and a number of very strong academic schools.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And Scott Rueck went from D3 to Oregon St. And several other successful D3 coaches have gotten D1 jobs. Again, this is not about D3. It is about a programming DOWNGRADING.

Having your job go from D1 to D3 is not good for anyone's career. And as I said, coaching a D1 program that's downgrading is going to be an awful experience.
Kind of an “eye of the beholder“ thing, IMO. You clearly think it’s a terrible downgrade but others might not. I don’t know that you’ll change many opinions to match your own

Reaction Score
Kind of an “eye of the beholder“ thing, IMO. You clearly think it’s a terrible downgrade but others might not. I don’t know that you’ll change many opinions to match your own
Lol . Only on the boneyard could there be an argument about whether dropping from D1 to d3 is a job demotion or not.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Good article with some insight on player (at least one) feelings about going from D1 to D3 and alot of respect and understanding for Valley leaving

“I was super-happy and thrilled for her (Valley),” Lee said. “UConn is UConn and it’s huge to be able to coach there. The hard part is that I think she was building something really good here. But she’s an amazing coach and person and a great role model. While it’s tough she won’t be here at Hartford, she’s still around and will still be a part of my life.”

Reaction Score
Hartford to D3 again!!! What goes around.... Really good men's hoops team, under Gordie McCullough, in the late 60's-70's. Our greatest win at Eastern in the early 70's was our victory over the Hawks in 1973. We even made WTIC's big board during their sports broadcast. That was a real big deal. A thousand fans would attend these games...a real bang for no $.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom