OT: - Hartford...North End Promise | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Hartford...North End Promise

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
A lot of times Hartford runs into issues on not following through with these things. They would potentially build the development but not police the area appropriately or not keep I up as it will be kept when it is first built. It sound like this COULD be a great thing for the city so let's hope it works out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
almost every city but Hartford grew that way.

Overbroad statement. Some cities have grown that way, but not nearly "almost every one."

FWIW, I have no problem with the merger of municipalities but all the municipalities should be willing participants. Hartford's problems are more about mismanagement than municipality size. The notion that mismanagement can be cured by "annexing" surrounding (and often better run) communities is a flawed one, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Overbroad statement. Some cities have grown that way, but not nearly "almost every one."

FWIW, I have no problem with the merger of municipalities but all the municipalities should be willing participants. Hartford's problems are more about mismanagement than municipality size. The notion that mismanagement can be cured by "annexing" surrounding (and often better run) communities is a flawed one, in my humble opinion.

Hartford is the smallest state capital and smallest (geographic) city of its metro area size in the country. Find me some cities that didn’t annex. Boston took over several. New York even more. More modern cities are even more aggressive. LA consuming the San Fernando valley and Houston gobbling up everything.

Hartford is mismanaged. But if it was broader and more diverse it would have a better pool of people in charge of it. It has been severely hamstrung.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hartford is mismanaged. But if it was broader and more diverse it would have a better pool of people in charge of it. It has been severely hamstrung.
Or would it just have more people victimized by that
mismanagement?

Reaction Score
Imagine what might have been if they had not cut the downtown off from the river decades ago.
This. Been saying this for years.

The other fatal flaw: Lack of a sizable university in the center of the city. It is the only city of note in this region that lacks a college or university in a central location. College kids bring money, cheap labor. and life to a city.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Or would it just have more people victimized by that
mismanagement?

Well add the voters of West Hartford, Bloomfield, Wethersfield, Newington and see what their voting and management patterns would look like. I mean 100 years ago they needed to do this. Different people would have been in charge. The same way Boston annexed South Boston, Hyde Park, Dorchester, West Roxbury etc. It's a moot point now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom