OT: - Hartford Marathon | The Boneyard

OT: Hartford Marathon

Reaction Score
Any Boneyarders running or cheering on Friday?

I'll be there to root on my wife. She started running three years ago and while she's run three marathons on her around our town (previous marathons canceled) this will be her first with other people.

Reaction Score
I am doing the half marathon. I do several races every year in CT and this one is by far the best in the state. The half marathon has historically gone through West Hartford (and right past my house) but this year they changed the half course - presumably due to Covid, so that now it follows the full marathon course along both sides of the river breaking away at Main and Pitkin street to head back over the Founders bridge while the full marathon continues further into East Hartford. I’ll miss the West Hartford course, but looking forward to something new.

Reaction Score
I am doing the half marathon. I do several races every year in CT and this one is by far the best in the state. The half marathon has historically gone through West Hartford (and right past my house) but this year they changed the half course - presumably due to Covid, so that now it follows the full marathon course along both sides of the river breaking away at Main and Pitkin street to head back over the Founders bridge while the full marathon continues further into East Hartford. I’ll miss the West Hartford course, but looking forward to something new.
Good luck! I mentioned this in the Travel forum, but we spent an overnight in August to check out the course and see a Yardgoats game.

She's excited for the long stretch on Main Street in South Windsor. Open roads passing historic homes. Very beautiful and for the runners, I'm glad to see there's space to get in a nice relaxed zone between miles 12 and 24.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Good luck to everyone running. @Hey Adrien! Have you figured out how many locations you can be at to see your wife run by? When my wife ran Chicago I saw go by at three locations but not the finish line. When she ran NYC I saw her two times on the course and was able to get to the finish line also. I find watching marathons in person to be very inspiring. Have fun.

Reaction Score
Any Boneyarders running or cheering on Friday?

I'll be there to root on my wife. She started running three years ago and while she's run three marathons on her around our town (previous marathons canceled) this will be her first with other people.
All my best to your wife !!!!

Reaction Score
Good luck to everyone running. @Hey Adrien! Have you figured out how many locations you can be at to see your wife run by? When my wife ran Chicago I saw go by at three locations but not the finish line. When she ran NYC I saw her two times on the course and was able to get to the finish line also. I find watching marathons in person to be very inspiring. Have fun.
I got lucky, I got to cheer her on six different times!

I was there for the start and had a great view near the finish line just a few feet from the Memorial Arch.

IMG_9040.jpg

Mile 4.5ish I was hanging out at Founders Bridge, mile 8.5ish on East River Drive and then my personal favorite was mile 14 right on King Street in South Windsor. I was able to park on a perpendicular residential road and then I was the only person cheering on, a nice break from the crowds.

After that, I hustled and sprinted to mile 16 right in front of the Wood Memorial Library (literally got there with just a minute to spare) then picked up lunch at Fire and Spice and then parked myself at Bushnell Park for the finish line.

Overall, it was an awesome experience. It was my wife's first competitive marathon and the amount of humanity amongst the runners, staff and spectators was deeply emotional.

When I was cheering near the finish line at Memorial Arch I had the privilege to see hundreds of people approach the finish line. Every time someone was struggling to reach the finish line, I put in a focus to watch that person and cheer them on and each time I couldn't stop from tearing up.

Reaction Score
I got lucky, I got to cheer her on six different times!

I was there for the start and had a great view near the finish line just a few feet from the Memorial Arch.

View attachment 70242

Mile 4.5ish I was hanging out at Founders Bridge, mile 8.5ish on East River Drive and then my personal favorite was mile 14 right on King Street in South Windsor. I was able to park on a perpendicular residential road and then I was the only person cheering on, a nice break from the crowds.

After that, I hustled and sprinted to mile 16 right in front of the Wood Memorial Library (literally got there with just a minute to spare) then picked up lunch at Fire and Spice and then parked myself at Bushnell Park for the finish line.

Overall, it was an awesome experience. It was my wife's first competitive marathon and the amount of humanity amongst the runners, staff and spectators was deeply emotional.

When I was cheering near the finish line at Memorial Arch I had the privilege to see hundreds of people approach the finish line. Every time someone was struggling to reach the finish line, I put in a focus to watch that person and cheer them on and each time I couldn't stop from tearing up.

It's a weird thing...I've never been a runner...never paid much attention to races. I did see the Hartford from the spots you mention in South Windsor on old Main Street when we lived there a few times. Then, our daughter started running a few years ago here in RI. Been into Providence a few times for races there...and like you said, there were times seeing people finish (that I had no idea who they were)...kinda got me a little choked up...great stuff.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
... Been into Providence a few times for races there...and like you said, there were times seeing people finish (that I had no idea who they were)...kinda got me a little choked up...great stuff.
Yeah, going to a race has always been a nice day out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom