Hartford Courant Letters to Editor 10-12-2021 | The Boneyard

Hartford Courant Letters to Editor 10-12-2021

Reaction Score
Roger Kern of Essex: Stop Subsidizing UConn Football (advocates a return to FCS status & moving games back to Storrs)
David Travisano of Rocky Hill: References a Page 1 story from Oct. 3rd-feels that routine maintenance wasn't done at the RENT & water is leaking into electrical junction boxes (Don't now how I missed THAT article)

To Mr. Kern-No Thanks
To Mr. Travisano-based on your letter alone, I agree but am not surprised

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Roger Kern of Essex: Stop Subsidizing UConn Football (advocates a return to FCS status & moving games back to Storrs)
David Travisano of Rocky Hill: References a Page 1 story from Oct. 3rd-feels that routine maintenance wasn't done at the RENT & water is leaking into electrical junction boxes (Don't now how I missed THAT article)

To Mr. Kern-No Thanks
To Mr. Travisano-based on your letter alone, I agree but am not surprised

Mr. Kern,

1) Where exactly are they going to play these games in Storrs?

2) How does the move to FCS actually save money given that the infrastructure for FBS us already built and the scholarships are essentially an intra company chargeback. (The university subsidizes the athletic department so that the athletic department can pay the University for the cost of scholarships at an artificially inflated rate.)

Reaction Score
Here ya go Coach…

Reaction Score
Mr. Kern,

1) Where exactly are they going to play these games in Storrs?

2) How does the move to FCS actually save money given that the infrastructure for FBS us already built and the scholarships are essentially an intra company chargeback. (The university subsidizes the athletic department so that the athletic department can pay the University for the cost of scholarships at an artificially inflated rate.)
Mr. Kern and most don’t get your second point, which is really important… UConn wants to drive its paper expense up, not down to put more pressure on the legislature to increase funding support.

CL82

Reaction Score
Mr. Kern and most don’t get your second point, which is really important… UConn wants to drive its paper expense up, not down to put more pressure on the legislature to increase funding support.
?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Maintenance is one of the biggest issues when it comes to public state facilities. They band aid everything and never fix the actual problem.
This is happening to a number of state or town buildings they ignore them in the budgets or they monies put aside are used for other things.

It should have never come to this.

Reaction Score
Maintenance is one of the biggest issues when it comes to public state facilities. They band aid everything and never fix the actual problem.
This is happening to a number of state or town buildings they ignore them in the budgets or they monies put aside are used for other things.

It should have never come to this.

Public infrastructure maintenance has always competed with public employee salary & benefits. It will always lose since, unlike public employees, buildings, roads and bridges do not vote.

Reaction Score
Government entities need to spend more or their budgets decrease in the next fiscal year. So, if you can paper expenses to run at loss through cost accounting, that’s what you do.

CL82

Reaction Score
Government entities need to spend more or their budgets decrease in the next fiscal year. So, if you can paper expenses to run at loss through cost accounting, that’s what you do.
Ah, got it.

CL82

Reaction Score
It’s rational but crazy. ;)
I have some experience with it, I understand it how it works. GAAP provides for much more accountability, which is exactly why it will never be used.

Reaction Score
There are two ways to solve the football revenue bleed
invest in the sport and become competitive or
drop it completely
The math doesn’t work any other way.
FCS is a substantial cost reduction but an even bigger revenue loss

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
There are two ways to solve the football revenue bleed
invest in the sport and become competitive or
drop it completely
The math doesn’t work any other way.
FCS is a substantial cost reduction but an even bigger revenue loss
No more so than an empty stadium every week

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Public infrastructure maintenance has always competed with public employee salary & benefits. It will always lose since, unlike public employees, buildings, roads and bridges do not vote.
I agree and why we have a number of buildings that are owned by the state that are in disrepair and cost us more in the long run. If businesses were run this was they would no longer be in business.

I hope they can fix the issues, but I expect push back from the anti-football crowd.

Reaction Score
I agree and why we have a number of buildings that are owned by the state that are in disrepair and cost us more in the long run. If businesses were run this was they would no longer be in business.

I hope they can fix the issues, but I expect push back from the anti-football crowd.
Waste is everywhere. My favorite is spending nearly $1M on a new house for the President because it would cost several hundred thousand to repair the slate roof on the old president’s house and the new president’s wife was allergic to the old.. so now we have 2 houses, one new and one old which still needs repair, and no President.

Reaction Score
Not bad for a University that is broke( it’s not). Does make it easy for negative journalism and political ammunition against those that support the university.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Waste is everywhere. My favorite is spending nearly $1M on a new house for the President because it would cost several hundred thousand to repair the slate roof on the old president’s house and the new president’s wife was allergic to the old.. so now we have 2 houses, one new and one old which still needs repair, and no President.
The best (worst) part of this story is that it has happened multiple times with multiple presidents.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom