Hartford City FC Officially Joins NPSL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hartford City FC Officially Joins NPSL

Reaction Score
Dillon is right next to the Colt building, that place has received a ton of attention.
Now it has, yeah. As well as the other buildings in the area. That was where the Dutch set up a fort before the Puritans took over.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone spend 12 million on that place? So a team backed by the son of a guy who has a restaurant has somewhere to play?

Have any of you been there? I worked plenty of football games there it's an absolute hellhole.

Central is easy to get to, has a ton of parking, is in great shape, has lighting you can actually see under....

Nobody in their right mind is going to Dillion for semi-pro soccer.

It looks horrid just from google earth. And you're right. We basically already have two other teams that play at that level in the state in AC Connecticut and Connecticut United FC.

It's kind of a sad commentary on the absurd state of "lower division" soccer in this country. AC Connecticut plays at Western and is in the Premier Development League. Connecticut United FC plays in the American Soccer League and now Hartford City will play in the NPSL.

They are basically all in the same level, competing for players and resources. But in three different leagues that all basically do the same thing. Nice job USSF.

As for Hartford, the lack of vision there and in CT in general is pretty amazing. You really don't even get a scent of ambition. One can travel all over America these days and find commercial/entertainment areas with stores, restaurants and stadia all in one place and connected.

Hartford should stop complaining about the Yard Goats stadium and be happy somebody actually wanted to put a team there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As for Hartford, the lack of vision there and in CT in general is pretty amazing. You really don't even get a scent of ambition.
This sounds like an out-of-towner talking. Out of his ass.

Reaction Score
This sounds like an out-of-towner talking. Out of his ass.

You sound like someone who needs to get out of town more. I love going home, I want to move back this summer. But CT is lacking a lot in certain types of development and rejuvenation.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You sound like someone who needs to get out of town more. I love going home, I want to move back this summer. But CT is lacking a lot in certain types of development and rejuvenation.
You said Hartford has a lack of vision. The vision is to get more people downtown. In order to do that they have moved two colleges to the downtown area. Encouraged the creation of more living spaces downtown. Developed the riverfront with an amphitheater, walking trails and public art. Built the Science Museum and Convention Center. Created the Front Street entertainment district out of whole cloth. Brought in the Yard Goats. All tied together with a local shuttle and enhanced bus system. I get out of town plenty. And if one came across similar to the Bear's-Infinity Hall combo for a night out elsewhere they would be raving. And here you are dismissing it all with the wave of your hand. That's what got my (yard) goat.

Reaction Score
You said Hartford has a lack of vision. The vision is to get more people downtown. In order to do that they have moved two colleges to the downtown area. Encouraged the creation of more living spaces downtown. Developed the riverfront with an amphitheater, walking trails and public art. Built the Science Museum and Convention Center. Created the Front Street entertainment district out of whole cloth. Brought in the Yard Goats. All tied together with a local shuttle and enhanced bus system. I get out of town plenty. And if one came across similar to the Bear's-Infinity Hall combo for a night out elsewhere they would be raving. And here you are dismissing it all with the wave of your hand. That's what got my (yard) goat.

They still have a bunch of catching up to do. I was there in early December, it still has that empty feeling to me. But you probably got me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They still have a bunch of catching up to do. I was there in early December, it still has that empty feeling to me.

I can't deny the empty feeling, there is more to be done. Need more draws for millennials. But I've seen more people walking their dog downtown in the last month then I have in the previous 20 years. I'm taking that as a positive in a Freakonomics kind of way. Still, too many people that have written off Hartford and won't take advantage of what it has to offer.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone spend 12 million on that place? So a team backed by the son of a guy who has a restaurant has somewhere to play?

Have any of you been there? I worked plenty of football games there it's an absolute hellhole.

Central is easy to get to, has a ton of parking, is in great shape, has lighting you can actually see under....

Nobody in their right mind is going to Dillion for semi-pro soccer.

Just saw this and yes it's a piece of crap but with that $12M they were going to tear down and build new bleachers along with renovating all the concession areas (and I assume lighting). I don't think it would be bad if that were done. There's not much to the stadium other than those few components and the grass. The stadium, I think is in a good location flanked by the Colt building which will be getting more TLC with the national park designation and sports and sciences academy. Looking from google earth there is empty lots that can be converted to the south of the stadium into parking. If that were all to happen it would make for a good setup IMO.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
LOL - "Hartford City" "FC" plays in New Britain.

Eurotrash wannabes will be eurotrash wannabes.

Reaction Score
Just saw this and yes it's a piece of crap but with that $12M they were going to tear down and build new bleachers along with renovating all the concession areas (and I assume lighting). I don't think it would be bad if that were done. There's not much to the stadium other than those few components and the grass. The stadium, I think is in a good location flanked by the Colt building which will be getting more TLC with the national park designation and sports and sciences academy. Looking from google earth there is empty lots that can be converted to the south of the stadium into parking. If that were all to happen it would make for a good setup IMO.

They could build a reasonable 2,500-5000 seat stadium/bleacher capacity with expansion options and it would be perfect for high school football and lower division soccer. You should see the puny stadium that Sporting's USL team and FC Kansas City play in.

Reaction Score
They could build a reasonable 2,500-5000 seat stadium/bleacher capacity with expansion options and it would be perfect for high school football and lower division soccer. You should see the puny stadium that Sporting's USL team and FC Kansas City play in.

Great thinking. I definitely see the potential but some people just like to be negative for the sake of it.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The Giants play in New Jersey. Stupid post on your part.
The Giants also don't call themselves the City of New York rugby 7s. Because that would be stupid. Sort of like a team calling themselves Hartford city playing elsewhere.

Soccer cosplay is so adorable.

Reaction Score
The Giants also don't call themselves the City of New York rugby 7s. Because that would be stupid. Sort of like a team calling themselves Hartford city playing elsewhere.

Soccer cosplay is so adorable.

Small hands?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Small hands?

Cute.

I actually don't even hate soccer, really. I've been to a champions league match personally. It was great.

However, the continued american fan's insistence on trying to be Europe is puzzling.

Reaction Score
Cute.

I actually don't even hate soccer, really. I've been to a champions league match personally. It was great.

However, the continued american fan's insistence on trying to be Europe is puzzling.

You mock what you don't understand. Honestly, your visceral reaction to some soccer teams defying your precious naming convention says more about you than anything else.

If you shell out big money for a team then you get to name them what you want. It's not the fans that are naming the teams.

Reaction Score
I get Millennials like soccer, but it's one thing to root for an EPL club or the USMNT. But a bad MLS team or even worse some garbage minor league type thing that Hartford will have, huh?

I can't deny the empty feeling, there is more to be done. Need more draws for millennials. But I've seen more people walking their dog downtown in the last month then I have in the previous 20 years. I'm taking that as a positive in a Freakonomics kind of way. Still, too many people that have written off Hartford and won't take advantage of what it has to offer.

Reaction Score
I get Millennials like soccer, but it's one thing to root for an EPL club or the USMNT. But a bad MLS team or even worse some garbage minor league type thing that Hartford will have, huh?

It's grass roots soccer. There are actually a few places like Detroit and Chattanooga where the teams have gotten very popular.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom