Hartford Business Journal Editorial: XL Center | The Boneyard

Hartford Business Journal Editorial: XL Center

Reaction Score
Hartford Business Journal editorial on why UConn sports should continue to be played in Hartford.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
As I've stated in another thread, the easy answer is to play both hoop teams and hockey in Hartford only during winter break when the students aren't on campus. This assumes that we get a better deal from the XL. I'd tie in a better deal with Rentschler as well into the negotiations. I'm sick and tired of reading about the sports budget "deficit". I know the deficit won't go away, but UConn is made out to be the bad guy in this financial shell game.

Reaction Score
  1. Continue to play in Hartford because many people like it and we can't make a drastic change at this juncture.
  2. Demand renovations to bring facility up to snuff. Nay, better than snuff.
  3. This keeps the center open and available for hockey.
  4. If no renovations are forthcoming, build a basketball arena overlooking the river.

Reaction Score
The magazine in which the article appeared is called the Hartford Business Journal. It seems appropriate for that magazine to publish an article favoring the perspective of Hartford Businesses.
yes, of course. That's why I used the word propaganda.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Thanks for making the case for all games at Gampel until a 20th century ( not even 21st) arena is built.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons for the popularity of the Huskies in the state (besides winning) is that they are accessible. This was very important pre-Calhoun. Playing in Hartford made it easy for alumni and fans to see the team. It expanded the fan base.

Maybe UConn can move all games on campus and continue the relationship. Don't know.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Hartford business is the sole reason the XL still exists. Of course, they would think that. Right or wrong, their opinion on the matter isn't unbiased.

Reaction Score
2 X seat license + political reality > 1 X seat license

We’re not changing the current arrangement until the laws of mathematics change.

Reaction Score
2 X seat license + political reality > 1 X seat license

We’re not changing the current arrangement until the laws of mathematics change.
wouldn't it be:

2 X seat license + political reality > 1 X (2 x seat license)

* seat license would double since there would be double the number of games at Gampel.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In that article I see more about what good it does for Hartford and not so much what good it does for UConn athletics. Pure propaganda.
And the supposed good it does for Hartford was speculative and undocumented.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The magazine in which the article appeared is called the Hartford Business Journal. It seems appropriate for that magazine to publish an article favoring the perspective of Hartford Businesses.
As a business journal, they must recognize that UConn must feel like they're better off after the new deal than they were before. Basic give and take. Would it have killed them to expound on what it might take for the relationship to continue. Without that, it's basically a Captain Obvious article that Hartford does better when the XL center is being used. No Sherlock!

Reaction Score
wouldn't it be:

2 X seat license + political reality > 1 X (2 x seat license)

* seat license would double since there would be double the number of games at Gampel.
Only if you think there is demand to support the price increase. Since more seat licenses are sold for XL that wouldn’t seem to be the case.

In reality it more than 1 X, but definitely less than 2X if all the games are played in Gampel.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One of the reasons for the popularity of the Huskies in the state (besides winning) is that they are accessible. This was very important pre-Calhoun. Playing in Hartford made it easy for alumni and fans to see the team. It expanded the fan base.

Maybe UConn can move all games on campus and continue the relationship. Don't know.
I know.

Reaction Score
1647308803607.png
i thought this was a random meme plugged into the article but nope, the author just has a comically large forehead

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
All home Big East games should be at Gampel
Playing at the XL is like playing in a crypt

Reaction Score
Only if you think there is demand to support the price increase. Since more seat licenses are sold for XL that wouldn’t seem to be the case.

In reality it more than 1 X, but definitely less than 2X if all the games are played in Gampel.
It's an interesting situation. Surely the folks in Gampel want to keep their seats and many of the folks at the civic center would want to get seats in Gampel. Then you have the general population who also want to get games in Gampel. Demand would mostly exceed supply by a lot. No way to know by how much I guess.

Reaction Score
It's an interesting situation. Surely the folks in Gampel want to keep their seats and many of the folks at the civic center would want to get seats in Gampel. Then you have the general population who also want to get games in Gampel. Demand would mostly exceed supply by a lot. No way to know by how much I guess.
Well there are worse problems to have than having every game sold out. It sucks for the fans who get priced out, but it's mostly upside besides that.

Reaction Score
The main reason the Huskies play at the XL is profit.

The Celtics used to play at the HCC because they made more money than at the old Boston Garden.

Of course, if any of you want to donate the difference to the university to move games on campus. I'm sure the AD would listen to your proposal.

Reaction Score
The main reason the Huskies play at the XL is profit.

The Celtics used to play at the HCC because they made more money than at the old Boston Garden.

Of course, if any of you want to donate the difference to the university to move games on campus. I'm sure the AD would listen to your proposal.
The Celtics did make more money playing in Hartford than in the old Garden, but the economics changed with the opening of the new Garden and it made more sense financially to play in Boston over Hartford. Also, the Celtics had exclusive TV rights to the Hartford market because they played games in the HCC, but there was an out of court settlement between the NBA and the CT Attorney General to allow Knicks games to be shown in the Hartford market which eliminated another financial incentive for the Celtics to continue playing in Hartford. The CT AG: Richard Blumenthal.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
just get a big boat and make stops at Bridgeport, New Haven, New London, Stamford, Hartford, Mohegan Sun, heck, even Pawcatuck.
anywhere there is a parking space, just park that bad boy there. mebbe even call it the 'huskies to the people tour,' or 'ahoy huskies tour,' or sumthin like that.
3d87e02ad56e1c51b98adc6546b23998.jpg

a couple of f-35s parked by the ticket window should do it for security.
problem solved, everybody wins, except mebbe those mountain types living up in Litchfield. that big of a boat can't make it up the hoosy river.
anchors aweigh!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Celtics did make more money playing in Hartford than in the old Garden, but the economics changed with the opening of the new Garden and it made more sense financially to play in Boston over Hartford. Also, the Celtics had exclusive TV rights to the Hartford market because they played games in the HCC, but there was an out of court settlement between the NBA and the CT Attorney General to allow Knicks games to be shown in the Hartford market which eliminated another financial incentive for the Celtics to continue playing in Hartford. The CT AG: Richard Blumenthal.
This reads like an attempt to smear Blumenthal for doing the right thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom