Hartford Athletic to Begin Season in July | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hartford Athletic to Begin Season in July

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not lucky. Pitt had only one shot on goal and never broke HA down. Hartford scored from the run of the game and missed a PK.

Reaction Score
Tonight's win may have been lucky. If anyone hasn't seen this, decide for yourself.

It was lucky but it was also a play of the year type goal. It was ESPN's #2 play of the day and all the coach could do was give a "the Gods must like us smile." Last year everything went wrong, including a batch of own goals early, but this year everything seems to be bouncing Hartford's way. However, the coach is going to drive into their heads leading up to the RBII game that they stopped playing after going up 2-0 and it should have cost them. If they do that this weekend they will probably blow a gift wrapped chance to win the group. If they play as they should there will be playoff game at Dillon on the weekend of 10/9-11.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If they do that this weekend they will probably blow a gift wrapped chance to win the group. If they play as they should there will be playoff game at Dillon on the weekend of 10/9-11.
The coach rested starters for the game and it almost bit him. But now we will have our best players fit for Saturday. And not only do they win the group with a win, if Louisville and Tampa Bay tie or worse they would win the Eastern Conference.

Reaction Score
That's a crazy goal, even crazier because it was the game winner. Goal of the year no question. Give the guy credit for sticking out his leg. It's fair to call it lucky but it's also fair to say he made his own luck.

Reaction Score
The coach rested starters for the game and it almost bit him. But now we will have our best players fit for Saturday. And not only do they win the group with a win, if Louisville and Tampa Bay tie or worse they would win the Eastern Conference.
That's true. I think the team also misses Harry Swartz, who could be counted on to help keep up the team's energy level. The announcers last night noted his absence and that the team needed him back but I didn't hear if they gave his injury status.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What a great season for Athletic. Only one team in a 35 team league ended up with more points.

Reaction Score
Athletic turned in one of their most entertaining efforts of the season, particularly in the second half. Even though the score was only 2-0, there was a lot of end to end action. Hartford also showed some of its best passing of the season, creating through the midfield instead of depending on long outlets from the back. I think the 18-year old they picked up on loan from NYCFC has really helped steady play in the center of the field.

By finishing first in their group (and tying for the conference crown) they will get a home game against St. Louis FC, a franchise that is going out of business because MLS is moving in. With a win they will play the winner of Louisville and Pittsburgh. They have the seeding advantage v. Pittsburgh but lose a tie breaker to Louisville. If things break right they could have at least 3 home games (win round 1, beat Pittsburgh in 2nd round and then host conference championship) before the league final. There are two teams in the west (Reno and Phoenix) that have a seeding advantage so Hartford would need an upset or two to host a final.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hartford is a slight underdog according to the 538 algorithm, 52-48. However, they state that home-field advantage has been reduced 60% due to playing in empty stadiums. But Dillion won't be empty!

Reaction Score
Hartford is a slight underdog according to the 538 algorithm, 52-48. However, they state that home-field advantage has been reduced 60% due to playing in empty stadiums. But Dillion won't be empty!
According to the Phase III guidelines outdoor event venues can now be up to 50% of capacity. I assume that applies to Dillon. Has Athletic said anything about increasing ticket sales?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
According to the Phase III guidelines outdoor event venues can now be up to 50% of capacity. I assume that applies to Dillon. Has Athletic said anything about increasing ticket sales?
They had been hinting that capacity could be adjusted if the rules change. I haven't seen an announcement yet.

I don't think there will be an open sale though. They have established a waiting list for anyone interested in Saturday.

UPDATE: I just received an email stating that Athletic was awaiting a final approval from the city that was received today. And it said my tickets to the game will be near the seats I sat in all year. That tells me they redrew the grid for increased capacity. It going to be a beautiful night Saturday!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At least the franchise didn't fold, as some predicted.

We should learn franchise color scheming from Las Vegas and Seattle.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At least the franchise didn't fold, as some predicted.

We should learn franchise color scheming from Las Vegas and Seattle.
Gut punch loss and we have a jokester here.

Reaction Score
Gut punch loss and we have a jokester here.
At least it was a competitive game. Too bad it was a loss to a team that will either no longer exist soon or become owned by the St Louis MLS franchise. The USL would kick out MLS sponsored clubs soon, if they were smart. Open up the league to new markets.

Crazy as it may sound, the economic hardships we are enduring may have a huge impact on the promotion and relegation pyramids in Europe.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The USL would kick out MLS sponsored clubs soon, if they were smart. Open up the league to new markets.
Supposedly, there are a bunch of new markets hoping to get in including Providence. And I don't think they need to kick out the MLS teams, word is that they are creating their own developmental league.

Reaction Score
Supposedly, there are a bunch of new markets hoping to get in including Providence. And I don't think they need to kick out the MLS teams, word is that they are creating their own developmental league.
Athletic could have, and probably should have, won the playoff game. They carried the play for most of the game and had a number of excellent chances to cash in. Unfortunately, they didn't. It was, however, a good season for the team and they move forward to year 3 with a growing fan base. Hopefully all games next season will be played with the stadium completely open.

As for the MLS reserve teams, the rumor was that they would all drop down a level to USL League One. It already includes several reserve clubs, including Revolution II.

Reaction Score
One thing about the effect of the pandemic on the Athletic. Although it hurt team this year, in the long term it has built a fortified hard core of fans. I mean, if you come out to see a team under these conditions, you care. And you know a lot of other folks who are truly committed. Bodes well for the future.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They did a nice job with the social distancing. I didn't feel uncomfortable going to games.

Reaction Score
Pawtucket is in; replacing the Paw Sox with a USL Championship franchise. Stadium will be larger than Dillon. Dillon may need to consider expansion in time.

Reaction Score
Pawtucket is in; replacing the Paw Sox with a USL Championship franchise. Stadium will be larger than Dillon. Dillon may need to consider expansion in time.

Hell of a trade, the Red Sox triple A franchise for a USL team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom