Harriet...what's up with this...CPTV???? | The Boneyard

Harriet...what's up with this...CPTV????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
In the Courant today:

CPTV is launching a 24/7 sports network to show lots of local doings....high school sports...
colleges... including UConn baseball for example. It says they will be starting
in November at some point. It also says they will be televising 'several' UConn
women exhibtion games. [There are only 2....in early November]. It talks about
wanting to do the women's regular season games at some point as well.

Is this a different channel for a new CPTV broadcast...in addition to the usual one?
Is this an adjunct to our 'old' CPTV?

This sounds like it could be big...is it?

I don't know if the article is online or not.

It is. JS

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Appreciate that , JS. My quote is wrong.....'a few' exhibition games not 'several'.

CPTV Harriet

Media Queen
Reaction Score
It replaces CTSN which was our for profit joint venture with WFSB. CPTV Sports will be one of our over the air digital channels. It will, for the most part, be in HD and will carry a very wide assortment of CT sporting events. We will be simulcasting the UConn Women's games on the channel and the Geno Shows. Plus they will show repeats of the games. They will be carrying U. Hartford games, probably CCSU, Fairfield, etc. plus CIAC games. And other varied sports and progamming about sports. Possible professional and semi-pro sporting events. Down the line - I'm talking a few years at least, UConn WBB MAY eventually migrate to that channel. The sky's the limit with this channel - and we are very excited about the possibilites it brings.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It replaces CTSN which was our for profit joint venture with WFSB. CPTV Sports will be one of our over the air digital channels. It will, for the most part, be in HD and will carry a very wide assortment of CT sporting events. We will be simulcasting the UConn Women's games on the channel and the Geno Shows. Plus they will show repeats of the games. They will be carrying U. Hartford games, probably CCSU, Fairfield, etc. plus CIAC games. And other varied sports and progamming about sports. Possible professional and semi-pro sporting events. Down the line - I'm talking a few years at least, UConn WBB MAY eventually migrate to that channel. The sky's the limit with this channel - and we are very excited about the possibilites it brings.
Harriot, do you know if any of the cable companies will carry it? Or is it only over the air.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I thought "over the air" days were over... and everyone needed a cable box!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Harriot, do you know if any of the cable companies will carry it? Or is it only over the air.
DD,

From the article, the issue of coverage across the state is one of the main strategic advantages of this new channel approach over CTSN.

"There is FCC "must carry" language, Franklin said, with an agreement between the National Cable & Telecommunications Association and public broadcasting to carry all public broadcasting digital channels.
"It's fairly clear how carriage works with non-commercial licenses," Orton said. "We're still in the process of working through it with each of the cable providers. We're comfortable with how it will play out, but we're looking at it as collaboration.""

With CTSN where Comcast was a player and it being profit based, other cable companies refused to carry it. They think that with the non-profit, they will get broad coverage (although it's not clear if it will be part of a basic package or part of add-on packages to me from the article)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I thought "over the air" days were over... and everyone needed a cable box!
Over the air is not over. It just is at different frequencies than before and in a digital format vs analog. Go get some rabbit ears and you'll see.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Over the air is not over. It just is at different frequencies than before and in a digital format vs analog. Go get some rabbit ears and you'll see.
He has rabbit ears. He seems to know whenever anyone posts about Tennessee.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
He has rabbit ears. He seems to know whenever anyone posts about Tennessee.
Remember I've seen you....I wouldn't start talking about rabbit ears! ;)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
thanks Biff

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Has there been a date announced when this new channel will be available???

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Has there been a date announced when this new channel will be available???

From the Courant
"...it is scheduled to debut sometime in November."

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
BIFF--

So just to get this all clear in my mind, is it correct to think that:

In Cablevision territory the UCONN WBB games will play on CPTV this season?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
BIFF--

So just to get this all clear in my mind, is it correct to think that:

In Cablevision territory the UCONN WBB games will play on CPTV this season?
This new network does not change the CPTV planned coverage of the Huskies (for now....it may change down the road in a couple years but that appears to be TBD)
So you will find the Huskies games (not covered by network) on CPTV (and streamed) as it has been for years except for the fact that all the CPTV games will be HD this year! See Harriett's post above.

Reaction Score
As Harriet stated, CTSN (Ct Sports Netw) has been on our cable system (Comcast) for well over a year (on the standard package). The channel carried (coaches & athletes) interviews, championship game replays of all manner of CT HS sports... football, basketball, etc... boys & girls... S to LL. It also carried UConn (Women) game (various older replays) & replays of the Geno shows. All were rotated so they'd be on dozens of times over many months. It was a great way to see any missed shows or games.

Their online site had a very good (simple text encoded) schedule, so you could quickly look & note the day/time of any game you wanted to see or record in the next week or so.

I would imagine Comcast will just switch the new channel to the current allocated (multiplexed) channel. It's 66-8 on my TV-tuner, but there are widely different (types of) tuners in different TVs. I'd recommend calling or stopping in to other local cable outlet companies to see if/when they will be adding it.

CPTV Harriet

Media Queen
Reaction Score
Biff - you are HIRED to be my new mouthpeice! And Jack - you are in the running.
- UConn games will remain of CPTV (hopefully for the next several years)
- And on new and improved Hoop Streams (ditto above)
- CPTV Sports will sign on in early November - date TBA
- CPTV Sports is "over the air" in that if you have an antenna you'll be able to pick it up on 24.2, 24.3 or 24.4 - I'm not yet sure where it will reside. If you go to 24.2 now, you'll see our CPTV4U channel which has a GREAT program line-up. Nights dedicated to different themes - I encourage you to sample it. The program schedule for CPTV4U can be found on our website at cptv.org
- if you are on cable, you'll need to check with your provider to see channel assignment. It should not be in a premium package since it is a public television station.
- caveat: DirecTV, Dish, AT&T U-Verse and Fios are not bound by the "must carry" law. Go figure...
- the programming on CPTV Sports will be much more diverse than what is now on CTSN

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
excited to see the kids start playing this year and psyched that the games will be covered in such depth and high quality.

Reaction Score
Biff - you are HIRED to be my new mouthpeice! And Jack - you are in the running.
- UConn games will remain of CPTV (hopefully for the next several years)
- And on new and improved Hoop Streams (ditto above)
- CPTV Sports will sign on in early November - date TBA
- CPTV Sports is "over the air" in that if you have an antenna you'll be able to pick it up on 24.2, 24.3 or 24.4 - I'm not yet sure where it will reside. If you go to 24.2 now, you'll see our CPTV4U channel which has a GREAT program line-up. Nights dedicated to different themes - I encourage you to sample it. The program schedule for CPTV4U can be found on our website at cptv.org
- if you are on cable, you'll need to check with your provider to see channel assignment. It should not be in a premium package since it is a public television station.
- caveat: DirecTV, Dish, AT&T U-Verse and Fios are not bound by the "must carry" law. Go figure...
- the programming on CPTV Sports will be much more diverse than what is now on CTSN

Reaction Score
I'm speaking as a customer of Directv. I just hope that too much of too many things doesn't ruin the one most successful thing: coverage of Uconn WBB.
I sincerely wish that Uconn WBB stays on CPTV; this year should be great with the inclusion of HD coverage.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Remember I've seen you....I wouldn't start talking about rabbit ears! ;)
I don't think neither you or DaddyChoc, who liked your post, should be bringing up looks.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
how you know, stalker!

dude is obsessed with me... its scary. :eek:

It's "how DO you know".

And stalker? I read almost all the posts on this site. I thought it was funny, but not surprised you have no sense of humor.

Obsessed? Hardly. I didn't say anything that wasn't true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom