Hard to overstate how good Gilbert was in that game | The Boneyard

Hard to overstate how good Gilbert was in that game

Reaction Score
I'm talking both ends. He's so damn quick that he can go by his man at will. When he's hitting step-back threes like he was in the first half tonight, there's nothing you can do but send help. The floaters he hit in the lane were gorgeous. On the other end he took on the challenge of guarding Pritchard and simply disrupts the hell out of ball-handlers. Watching him guard the ball as if he were a shark honing in on his prey reminds me a lot of Boatright. I think I'm in love.

Otherwise, what a ballsy win. I don't want to get into the habit of sub-tweeting last years team because I don't think that's totally fair, so I'll say it this way: they look like they know how to play, they look like they expect to win, and they look like they'll slit your throat open to do it. Some of the rebounds Vital and Larrier and Anderson were pulling out down the stretch against bigger players is UConn basketball in a nutshell. I said it before and I'll say it again - the players that are still here are here for a reason. They're right for the program and the program is right for them. It's back to watching five Kevin Ollie's out there with the way they guard, just like in '14. The fact that they went Gilbert-Adams-Anderson-Vital-Larrier down the stretch is just so reminiscent of the lineups with Giffey at the five in '14. Just put your five best players on the court and hold on for deer life. That lineup isn't sustainable but will be freaking deadly in spurts.

Adams didn't play his best game tonight, but he still imposes his will on the game at times in ways not many if any other guards in the country can. You can't teach the way he challenges bigs at the rim, leans into their chest and finishes. That's a gift and the next step needs to be letting the jumper fly a little more freely. He doesn't have to be a great shooter, he just needs to take enough of them to plant the idea in the defenders head.

Carlton is damn enticing. Not sure when I've seen a UConn frosh come in and they're actually sending a hard double on post catches. It looks like he knows what to do with the ball in traffic, too. Having that is so valuable for the offense.

I'm not as worried about the three point shooting as others. It's bad right now but I think it's something that can get better. My biggest concern coming into the season was defense and we're answering the ball there. There are times when the offense gets a little, OK a lot stagnant, and I think that can be a product of the freedom Ollie gives his guards with the ball. Moving forward you'd like to be a little quicker to identify those lapses and get into our stuff quicker. He coaches us on offense a little bit like we're an NBA team which works really well when the players are playing well and not so much when they aren't. But don't be fooled into thinking he can't be a wizard with the clipboard when he wants to be - guy draws up some great stuff out of timeouts and in other situations. Also not sure what other coaches have the balls to play Larrier at the five down the stretch. Glad to have him would be an understatement.

As I'm posting this SMU finishes off their upset over #2 Arizona. It looks like they're going to be damn good again this year (lost a nail-biter to Northern Iowa the other day, which isn't a bad loss) - add them to the collection with Wichita and Cincinnati, both top ten teams, and you have some real firepower. Then you have Temple who won their preseason tournament and collected a couple nice victories, a UCF team that is still undefeated, and of course, us, still undefeated and as far as I can tell on pace to be undefeated the rest of the way. What I'm saying is not only do we have a real team on our hands but we could have a real conference on our hands this year gentlemen. UConn basketball is back. I'm fired up. Hartford is the new Times Square. Bring on Michigan State.

Reaction Score
Gilbert and Adams both played well together today. I think that is the first time I have seen them do that in the same game. Terry Larrier was effective even though he didn't get many shots. Great Win! Bring on MSU!

Reaction Score
Well I mean all things considered, I don’t think guard play is going to be a big issue for this team this year. We’re deep, we’re good on both ends.

I still wish we had a shooter. Maybe someone figures it out and emerges, but it’s the glaring gap with this group. Not trying to fantasy forecast or what if - but put a shooter on this team and holy crap.

Reaction Score
The thing id add here as a guy whose done the college coaching thing in a totally different sport mind you but... and this as a point to Ollie...

I don’t really care who you are or who you come up under... it takes 3-5 years sometimes just to figure out wtf you’re doing in terms of recruiting. You can have a template off the bat and you’d be astonished at how far off the beaten path you can get quickly because you get tempted by the fruit of one recruit who doesn’t fit your system and you don’t lay off. Or getting too stuck ina rigid system you’re trying to implement that just doesn’t fit your players for where they’re at.

This team seems to finally fit some sort of mold. It’s a real start. No Callhoun holdovers and no distracted recruiting. Creative, talented guards and bigs who can develop. A 3/4 who is kind of a jack of all trades and everyone on the team is hard nosed and a gamer. Everyone on the roster can do anything. Offense is a bit hit and miss at this level, but it’s more flexible and can work...

I like this team a lot. Last year seems to have been a huge moment for Ollie and so far it looks like he’s really learned from it.

Reaction Score
I'm talking both ends. He's so damn quick that he can go by his man at will. When he's hitting step-back threes like he was in the first half tonight, there's nothing you can do but send help. The floaters he hit in the lane were gorgeous. On the other end he took on the challenge of guarding Pritchard and simply disrupts the hell out of ball-handlers. Watching him guard the ball as if he were a shark honing in on his prey reminds me a lot of Boatright. I think I'm in love.

Otherwise, what a ballsy win. I don't want to get into the habit of sub-tweeting last years team because I don't think that's totally fair, so I'll say it this way: they look like they know how to play, they look like they expect to win, and they look like they'll slit your throat open to do it. Some of the rebounds Vital and Larrier and Anderson were pulling out down the stretch against bigger players is UConn basketball in a nutshell. I said it before and I'll say it again - the players that are still here are here for a reason. They're right for the program and the program is right for them. It's back to watching five Kevin Ollie's out there with the way they guard, just like in '14. The fact that they went Gilbert-Adams-Anderson-Vital-Larrier down the stretch is just so reminiscent of the lineups with Giffey at the five in '14. Just put your five best players on the court and hold on for deer life. That lineup isn't sustainable but will be freaking deadly in spurts.

Adams didn't play his best game tonight, but he still imposes his will on the game at times in ways not many if any other guards in the country can. You can't teach the way he challenges bigs at the rim, leans into their chest and finishes. That's a gift and the next step needs to be letting the jumper fly a little more freely. He doesn't have to be a great shooter, he just needs to take enough of them to plant the idea in the defenders head.

Carlton is damn enticing. Not sure when I've seen a UConn frosh come in and they're actually sending a hard double on post catches. It looks like he knows what to do with the ball in traffic, too. Having that is so valuable for the offense.

I'm not as worried about the three point shooting as others. It's bad right now but I think it's something that can get better. My biggest concern coming into the season was defense and we're answering the ball there. There are times when the offense gets a little, OK a lot stagnant, and I think that can be a product of the freedom Ollie gives his guards with the ball. Moving forward you'd like to be a little quicker to identify those lapses and get into our stuff quicker. He coaches us on offense a little bit like we're an NBA team which works really well when the players are playing well and not so much when they aren't. But don't be fooled into thinking he can't be a wizard with the clipboard when he wants to be - guy draws up some great stuff out of timeouts and in other situations. Also not sure what other coaches have the balls to play Larrier at the five down the stretch. Glad to have him would be an understatement.

As I'm posting this SMU finishes off their upset over #2 Arizona. It looks like they're going to be damn good again this year (lost a nail-biter to Northern Iowa the other day, which isn't a bad loss) - add them to the collection with Wichita and Cincinnati, both top ten teams, and you have some real firepower. Then you have Temple who won their preseason tournament and collected a couple nice victories, a UCF team that is still undefeated, and of course, us, still undefeated and as far as I can tell on pace to be undefeated the rest of the way. What I'm saying is not only do we have a real team on our hands but we could have a real conference on our hands this year gentlemen. UConn basketball is back. I'm fired up. Hartford is the new Times Square. Bring on Michigan State.
Remember the last time the right guys decided to stay. By the way. The tournament is in Texas.

Reaction Score
Gilbert balled out. When he had that big switch onto him he put him in the mixer

Shades of Kamba! We're in for a treat with this kid. Look forward to watching him play and develop this year.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He played great...except for those two FT attempts at the end. Ew. Probably conditioning more than anything else.

Reaction Score
Slowly but surely becoming the guy we expect. Even the right decisions come with time it would seem, the whole concept of the game on both ends slowly evolving for him, the kid hasn't played a lot of in game basketball in 2 years. He was really good. One of the biggest plays was when he decided to not use a pick and bounced his dribble left while his defender thought he was going to use the pick, beat his guy and the help near the FT line got in the lane making another defender come at him and dropped it down the Antwoine who dunked (kid has hops). That was quick and the defenders had no shot of guarding him he is so quick.

How many other BYers crap their pants when he falls hard? Gonna be a long year in that regard LOL...I hope:oops:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He was awesome. He' sstarting to get better at choosing when to attack their bigs to try to get a foul call, and when to kick it out or put up a floater. Probably just knocking off some rust.

And that crossover that lead to the layup was Kembaesque.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Love that he’s adjusting from getting stuffed by the rim adding that floater. (Which looks to be lights out)

pj

Reaction Score
The thing id add here as a guy whose done the college coaching thing in a totally different sport mind you but... and this as a point to Ollie...

I don’t really care who you are or who you come up under... it takes 3-5 years sometimes just to figure out wtf you’re doing in terms of recruiting. You can have a template off the bat and you’d be astonished at how far off the beaten path you can get quickly because you get tempted by the fruit of one recruit who doesn’t fit your system and you don’t lay off. Or getting too stuck ina rigid system you’re trying to implement that just doesn’t fit your players for where they’re at.

This team seems to finally fit some sort of mold. It’s a real start. No Callhoun holdovers and no distracted recruiting. Creative, talented guards and bigs who can develop. A 3/4 who is kind of a jack of all trades and everyone on the team is hard nosed and a gamer. Everyone on the roster can do anything. Offense is a bit hit and miss at this level, but it’s more flexible and can work...

I like this team a lot. Last year seems to have been a huge moment for Ollie and so far it looks like he’s really learned from it.

Just replying as a second like. I always thought the Ollie detractors were giving up on him way too soon. The thing is that his virtues were things he was going to retain lifelong, his failures were things he could learn from. There's a steep learning curve for any new head coach. JC had all those years at Northwestern and came to UConn as a well developed head coach. Ollie had to learn on the job. I think he figured out what he needed to be, and he found in Chill the right hand man that could organize recruiting and get the right kind of player. That was his biggest weakness. He still has things to learn but now that he has coachable players, he'll be able to figure those out through experimentation and experience.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Slowly but surely becoming the guy we expect. Even the right decisions come with time it would seem, the whole concept of the game on both ends slowly evolving for him, the kid hasn't played a lot of in game basketball in 2 years. He was really good. One of the biggest plays was when he decided to not use a pick and bounced his dribble left while his defender thought he was going to use the pick, beat his guy and the help near the FT line got in the lane making another defender come at him and dropped it down the Antwoine who dunked (kid has hops). That was quick and the defenders had no shot of guarding him he is so quick.

How many other BYers crap their pants when he falls hard? Gonna be a long year in that regard LOL...I hope:oops:

Players too. They flocked to see how he was when he hit the deck.

Reaction Score
Gilbert balled out. When he had that big switch onto him he put him in the mixer

Hopefully it’s safe to say the shoulder is good cause he took a beating tonight going to the floor. I think he has regained confidence in that shoulder. Notice how he uses the left hand here for the layup. The other night bar BU he gave up a wide open left handed lay up for a blocked up and under with his right.

Reaction Score
Absolutely love Gilbert. As long as he stays healthy, here's what I see from him: All Rookie AAC team this year...All Conference next year...All American as a Junior. There will be not one player in the country that can stay in front of him when he has the ball. He already has the 3-point shot, and he'll shoot 80% from the line by next year.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Great post Champs 99 and 04!!!! I especially liked your comment about the pro-style guard oriented, free-style offense. When our guards are clicking it's great. However, I would like to see the ability to run a more 5 person, motion offense that can free-up shooters and drives to the basketball a little easier than having to rely on a great guard always making a great play. I hope KO sees this as well, and works on this. Other teams do it quite well, no reason we can't - especially with great guards.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Hartford is the new Times Square.

This made your post feel like driving the green in two on a par 5 and then three putting.

But re: Josh Carlton ... he’s our first non grad-transfer big with hands to catch a post up and not immediately put it down at his ankles only to lose the ball. He put a legit smile on my face on multiple occasions last night.

Reaction Score
It's dear life ... NOT deer life

Gracious. Let's not go killing Bambi's Mother again.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
His jump shot was way off to start the season, and he struggled to finish at the rim in the opening three games.

Both of these were better last night, much better. He finished at the rim, then one drive found a dump off to Anderson for a dunk. He was 2 for 3 from three point land, the best of our outside 'threats' last night. I had written that of Gilbert, Adams and Vital it would really help if two of the three could start to hit open threes consistently. Gilbert seems to be righting the ship. Still need at least one more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom