hard hedge | The Boneyard

hard hedge

Reaction Score
Contrary to popular belief I do think this is a solid defensive philosophy. Whaley is very good at it but Sanogo is not and gets dumb, soft fouls as a result. After doing this for almost 2 seasons and as a result Sanogo often getting into foul trouble the time to give it up is here. We can't not afford having Sanogo sitting out 10-15 minutes in the first half which happens way to often.
That being said our two 5th year seniors are really letting us down. How about we utilize Whaley as the back up at the 4 and 5 and give Hawkins the majority of Polley minutes and hope he develops.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Contrary to popular belief I do think this is a solid defensive philosophy. Whaley is very good at it but Sanogo is not and gets dumb, soft fouls as a result. After doing this for almost 2 seasons and as a result Sanogo often getting into foul trouble the time to give it up is here. We can't not afford having Sanogo sitting out 10-15 minutes in the first half which happens way to often.
That being said our two 5th year seniors are really letting us down. How about we utilize Whaley as the back up at the 4 and 5 and give Hawkins the majority of Polley minutes and hope he develops.
Which Sanogo foul last night as a result of a hard hedge?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

We can't abandon the hard hedge right now; our guards can't defend off the dribble, especially if a screen is set.

Reaction Score
It's clearly a good defensive approach given our results. That being said (and I'd have to go back and watch yesterday to confirm), it felt like Xavier had a strong counter in their game plan and took advantage of our bigs coming out that far to get great inside position. That's just a difficult matchup with a mobile 7 footer that can roll to the basket.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Not my point just have seen him and Whaley get silly fouls doing it.
It is my point. The system is effective and Sanogo has shown the ability to play effectively in it. He’s prone to mental lapses that are mutually exclusive to the scheme and also experience appropriate for a sophomore.

Siv

Reaction Score
I thought Xavier was more effective yesterday of running offense against it last night than just about anyone we’ve played all year.

Reaction Score
It is my point. The system is effective and Sanogo has shown the ability to play effectively in it. He’s prone to mental lapses that are mutually exclusive to the scheme and also experience appropriate for a sophomore.
We can’t afford for him to play 25 minutes

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Whaley and Sanogo aren’t great post defenders, but there’s much more important things you have to do on defense in 2022. They’re both fine at the hedge.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Just don't let Sanogo hedge because he just doesn't get the concept - it's not rocket science but he doesn't get it, he is slow to recover if he doesn't foul which allows inlet passes to free opponent bigs under the basket. Both Whaley and Sanogo cannot be dual hedgers on the same defensive set - it's a coaching issue
Whaley needs to be on the court
I agree with Hawkins getting Polley's minutes

Reaction Score
I will take your word that Adama’s fouls last night have not been due to the hard hedge but that’s only because they were going to Nunge and not doing that type of action on the top of the key very much.
But, this season it’s impacted both offense and defense, since Adama picking up 2 quick ones puts Adama on the bench enroute to a UConn loss.
Without him on offense our shooters, such as we have, don’t have space and with the exception of Cole and Gaffney can’t create it on their own.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think guards should just go under screens above the 3 point line. Let the other team's guards pull up from deep off the screen. That is a 20% shot for most players, at best.

Reaction Score
Silly hand checking, reaching in and breaking the vehicle plane are things the refs look for. DONT DO THEM.

Reaction Score
Is the issue we play only one way and it makes it too easy for a smart coach to game plan against us (Wright/ McDermott)? Seems smart coaches have more than one arrow and can adjust based on their opponent. Belichek throwing only 3 passes against Buffalo this season comes to mind

Reaction Score
Is the issue we play only one way and it makes it too easy for a smart coach to game plan against us (Wright/ McDermott)? Seems smart coaches have more than one arrow and can adjust based on their opponent. Belichek throwing only 3 passes against Buffalo this season comes to mind
Agreed. We are an easy scout on offense and especially defense. In 3 of our last 4 losses the opposing team has shot >50%.

His defensive scheme requires perfect communication and execution to work. We are just not executing. In those games I wish we had a plan b to rely on to add another wrinkle. We have seen some zone lately so maybe coach recognizes this.

Reaction Score
One reason I’m not a fan of the HH, is how much it appears to wear down Sanogo. When you’re tired, you commit lazy fouls and how many times has AS committed silly touch fouls? He’s seems exhausted by the 1st TO, if he’s still in the game.
Also, teams with better ball handlers exploit it and find open 3pt shooters as we scramble and chase the ball and go for every ball fake.
Coach Hurley, how about a little defensive diversity

Reaction Score
We seem like an easy read, some of that may be because of the chop-up season. Opposing coaches have a lot of game film at this point in the season. Why isn't being unpredictable an advantage???

Reaction Score
Chief we don't see eye to eye on this. That's fine.
We need to put our energies into fixing a very broken offense. Our go to defense should be straight up man to man. But, give them different looks to surprise them and make them prepare for.
Best Regards, Chief

Reaction Score
UConn is having their best offensive year since 2011. The defense is the problem.
I'm not sure how any UConn fan can watch their games and not see that offense is an issue. What do your eyes tell you? Although a lot of it is just physical abilities. Hurley can't make the layups or the wide open threes they miss. Just look at today's game, which outside of 2-3 games (Seton Hall and Villanova come to mind), has been a typical UConn game in the last 6 weeks. SJU is shooting 32% from the field right now and UConn is only up 1. Hit most of those layups and a couple of the wide open threes and they're up at least a dozen.

Edit: As I write this Hawkins misses a WIDE OPEN layup.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom