Happy Thankgiving, Yarders - and a mini quiz | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Happy Thankgiving, Yarders - and a mini quiz

Reaction Score
We mostly reserved black eyed peas and hogshead for New Years. No wine, but corn bread, greens (cooked for 4 hours with ham hocks or neck bones, not that salt pork nonsense), maybe cabbage, yams AND sweet potato pie (What the heck is pumpkin pie?), white cake, bread pudding and (by my pleadings) coconut cake. We were North Carolinians, so red turnips. Eat, watch football, nap, wake up, repeat.
Yep, that is pure Southern. My people are all from the North or WAY North--I've lived South of the border for about 40 years--and absorbed some Southern food likes. But as a Child in Ct, ham hocks and Cabbage on Sunday . I loved them then, no so much now. Pumpkin was the delicious fat fingering or mis-spelling pie. Thanks

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Same. For us it was Spaghetti with meatballs, sausage and bracioli. Plus turkey and all the traditional sides.

Sounds great, especially the sausages and bracioli. I do a pork bracioli with pigskin seasoned with salt/pepper, parmesan, garlic and breadcrumbs. Simmered in my Sunday sauce for three hours. An acquired taste but unctuous beyond belief.

My mother had four sisters and a brother who rotated holiday family dinners.

At our house, the feast began with wedding soup (chicken soup with escarole and little meatballs), then the antipasti, ziti with meatballs and sausage (small portion, then the turkey with all the fixings, followed by dessert, coffee then figs and nuts in the shell. Wine, of course, mostly Chianti that I'd cut with ginger ale.

We'd sit down at about 1 and finish up at about 3:30 with my Uncle Charlie asleep in front of the TV trying to watch the football games he'd bet on.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
We mostly reserved black eyed peas and hogshead for New Years. No wine, but corn bread, greens (cooked for 4 hours with ham hocks or neck bones, not that salt pork nonsense), maybe cabbage, yams AND sweet potato pie (What the heck is pumpkin pie?), white cake, bread pudding and (by my pleadings) coconut cake. We were North Carolinians, so red turnips. Eat, watch football, nap, wake up, repeat.

Love the greens with hocks. Trouble is there's no pork store locally and I have to settle for the boney hocks they sell at Publix, not the big meaty smoked bastards I used to get up North.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The apple pie was done yesterday. The kitchen staged for this morning and the house was cleaned and vacuumed. Table is set.

The bird is now in the own and we have bottle of sherry for basting. Next up will be the green bean casserole, the bread stuffing and the mashed potatoes! I still have to prepare the cracker and cheese platters. And through it all, I am the "quality control engineer!"

The bar is stocked with red and white wines and of course plenty of bourbon! Neighbors will arrive around 1 pm and we will eat around 3.

Happy Thanksgiving Boneyard! Enjoy your day with family and friends. And remember those who serve our country, whether on land or sea, and can't be with us today.

Reaction Score
Great stuff, Folks. Feels kind of personal and intimate - kind of like Thanksgiving, eh? Would like to respond to every one of you re your good posts, but in the interest of time right now, will settle for a special Thanks to Husky for remembering military who will not be home with their families today. God bless them for their service and bring them home safely to their loved ones.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Great stuff, Folks. Feels kind of personal and intimate - kind of like Thanksgiving, eh? Would like to respond to every one of you re your good posts, but in the interest of time right now, will settle for a special Thanks to Husky for remembering military who will not be home with their families today. God bless them for their service and bring them home safely to their loved ones.

Thank you Win. I have a vested interest since our youngest son is on deployment, under the sea. Once you have a son or daughter serving in our military, you realize you are part of a very special family.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Love the greens with hocks. Trouble is there's no pork store locally and I have to settle for the boney hocks they sell at Publix, not the big meaty smoked bastards I used to get up North.
My prayers are with you. Cook 'em long and hard.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Yep, that is pure Southern. My people are all from the North or WAY North--I've lived South of the border for about 40 years--and absorbed some Southern food likes. But as a Child in Ct, ham hocks and Cabbage on Sunday . I loved them then, no so much now. Pumpkin was the delicious fat fingering or mis-spelling pie. Thanks
I'm convinced that if an alien landed in this country and we were to feed him pumpkin or sweet potato pie, after tasting both he'd choose sweet potato 10 out of 10 times.

Reaction Score
I'm convinced that if an alien landed in this country and we were to feed him pumpkin or sweet potato pie, after tasting both he'd choose sweet potato 10 out of 10 times.
\

Frankly I can't tell the Difference. I got in to Sweet Potato Pies with a Store and Man named Say MacIntosh in Little Rock. We had long conversations.\\
He was into cleaning up HIS city and angry with those that wouldn't. I could write a book on the thing he did to embarass those who refused to help him make HIS city better. No politician, just a guy with a dream---
My kids went to OLE Main HS--popular in starting the Civil Rights movement, they attended long after that. But for this displaced Yankee--Say and I got along well. I bought in sections where we were told: you can't shop there. My wife, alone and I alone never found a problem--we didn't look for them either. Sorry---I liked Say, Little Rock and Arkansas in General. Probably because they and I marched to a different drummer.

Reaction Score
For years I made mashed turnips in memory of my mother-in-law who always brought them to Thanksgiving dinner. Probably six years after her death my husband informed me he was looking forward to not having to eat them. They are kind of bitter, but enough butter and salt can make anything tasty.

JordyG

Reaction Score
For years I made mashed turnips in memory of my mother-in-law who always brought them to Thanksgiving dinner. Probably six years after her death my husband informed me he was looking forward to not having to eat them. They are kind of bitter, but enough butter and salt can make anything tasty.
Add some sugar and a touch of cinnamon. Maybe, just maybe a dot or 2 of vanilla.

JordyG

Reaction Score
\

Frankly I can't tell the Difference. I got in to Sweet Potato Pies with a Store and Man named Say MacIntosh in Little Rock. We had long conversations.\\
He was into cleaning up HIS city and angry with those that wouldn't. I could write a book on the thing he did to embarass those who refused to help him make HIS city better. No politician, just a guy with a dream---
My kids went to OLE Main HS--popular in starting the Civil Rights movement, they attended long after that. But for this displaced Yankee--Say and I got along well. I bought in sections where we were told: you can't shop there. My wife, alone and I alone never found a problem--we didn't look for them either. Sorry---I liked Say, Little Rock and Arkansas in General. Probably because they and I marched to a different drummer.
Check this out,

This American comfort food leads a double life – but only some of us know the secret. Do you?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Careful Jordy. You know that when you feed folks, it's hard to get rid of them. He'd want to stay knowing he could never taste/enjoy either of those pies again.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Careful Jordy. You know that when you feed folks, it's hard to get rid of them. He'd want to stay knowing he could never taste/enjoy either of those pies again.
Yeah. After 3 days fish and aliens start to stink.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom