Happy Sue Bird Jersey (#10) Retirement Day | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Happy Sue Bird Jersey (#10) Retirement Day

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I finally had a chance to watch some of Sue's speech. She heaped high praise on former Stanford player and now exceptional trainer Susan King Borchardt for saving her career.

Interesting that Susan is now Paige's trainer. As I recall, Geno really encouraged Paige to do this. Paige was asked to comment on Sue's career:

On how she was influenced by Bird: “Sue has been everything for me. Growing up, wanting to go to UConn, wanting to be one of the best basketball players and point guard to play, and impact the world through basketball, Sue is the perfect example and person to emulate in all of those things. There is no one like her to play the game, and there just simply won’t be another Sue.”

On a critical but often un-noticed thing about Bird: “An extremely under-rated part that I also take from Sue is her longevity and ability to take care of her body. She has been the greatest point guard in the league for about 20 years, and it takes a lot behind the scenes to be so dominant for so long. I was the type to just lace up my shoes and go. But through Sue and Susan King Borchardt (our mutual trainer), I have learned the importance of taking care of my mind, body, sleep, and nutrition, among many things you don’t see directly on the court.”

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue's speech was long, but excellent. She spent 90 minutes thanking people. And noted the true foundation came from UConn.

I knew Paige was going to California, but didn't realize that she was working with Susan King Borchardt. Susan is the best. She's the reason that Kelsey Plum has improved so much. KP has noted that she feels confident, because she knows she is the fittest player on the floor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44
Top Bottom