Happy New Year! Houston Hired Dana Holgerson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Happy New Year! Houston Hired Dana Holgerson

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
One more team where RE is going to have to pull his head out of his ass and realize you aren't beating Houton 13-10.

Very much looking forward to punting on 4th and inches from Houston's 39 yard line...then giving up a 2-play, 31 second touchdown drive. Then doing the exact same thing in the following quarter until we're losing by 50.

Reaction Score
No need to be a d/ck.

One losing season overall since joining the B12 in 2012. Three of seven seasons with losing conf records. Been ranked in six of seven seasons. Lousy in bowl games, going 2 and 5 since joining the B12.

On its face, there was no way WVU could continue to be an alpha dog when trading the big east for schools like Texas and Oklahoma and occasionally competive programs like TT, Iowa St and OSU. And when you stop consistently being a 2 loss team, not surprisingly your recruiting can tail off. WVU could always crush it in the BE selling a near guarantee to win 10 games.

I haven’t taken the time to look at in great depth, but yeah - it does seem their recruiting has stepped back. Still get a lot of dudes though.

Next coach for WV is a bigger deal for them than I realized.

West Virginia Mountaineers Football Record By Year | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

It's incredibly difficult now to sell recruits and their families on WV football when you tell them they will be playing almost all their away games down in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. Rich Rod and Stewart only had to say yeah we play away games near your parents in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, upstate NY, and New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Florida.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's incredibly difficult now to sell recruits and their families on WV football when you tell them they will be playing almost all their away games down in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. Rich Rod and Stewart only had to say yeah we play away games near your parents in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, upstate NY, and New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Florida.

Other than their Big XII teams have been better than many of their Big East teams... sure.

It’s not easy to win a RR conference that has Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Oklahoma State in it - if West Virginia doesn’t get their expectations in line it’s going to be a revolving door that slowly bleeds them to death.

Having said that not extending Dana makes sense to me. (found out dana’s initials correct to Dan Hurley).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The AAC is looking more and more like the New Big East every year personality wise.

Edsall at his best had trouble matching up with the high octane offense teams. Yikes. This doesn’t bode well for us. We need the AAC to be as crappy as possible.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Houston fans are OBNOXIOUS online insisting that this proves that UH is a better job/program than WVU. Absolute joke lol

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Looks like WVU might go with Brown from Troy. Cinci would get burned bad if they stole Fickell.

Love that type of hire way better than Miles or Dana.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Looks like WVU might go with Brown from Troy. Cinci would get burned bad if they stole Fickell.

Love that type of hire way better than Miles or Dana.

Either Fickell or Brown will be legit hires. Houston is parading around like they stole Dana from WVU lol bunch of idiots.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Maybe the big lights of the Big 12 were too much for Dana
No matter where UWV is located, no matter the travel demands - you don't go from high level P5 to G5 unless you are feeling a lot of heat or know that you haven't done a good job recruiting for the upcoming years. UWV has had monster years, great teams and great players.
He got spanked by Cuse and the team did not look prepared
He wants to run back to his billionaire friend in Houston and stay in a comfort zone.
Strange move - on paper

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe the big lights of the Big 12 were too much for Dana
No matter where UWV is located, no matter the travel demands - you don't go from high level P5 to G5 unless you are feeling a lot of heat or know that you haven't done a good job recruiting for the upcoming years. UWV has had monster years, great teams and great players.
He got spanked by Cuse and the team did not look prepared
He wants to run back to his billionaire friend in Houston and stay in a comfort zone.
Strange move - on paper

It’s very simple. WVU wouldn’t pay him. Houston did.

It means nothing about Houston or West Virginia’s relative merits.

Reaction Score
I think Houston stole Holgerson from WVU. I also think that if WVU hires Brown, they’ll be very happy with this turn of events. Fickell should stay at Cincy. It is another good job. Plenty of talent in Ohio and it suits him well.

The schools with a lot of support from their ADs and local talent offer a great opportunity.
Houston, Cincy and UCF are proving year after year that you can win and most likely keep your job and have a happy fan base in those locations. Houston is definitely being demanding, but everyone wins there, so it’s hard to blame them for getting picky about having a 10-2 record most years. A really good coach is probably going 9-3 or better at UH every year. I think we’ll see more P5 coaches look at jobs in the American if they are a good fit. The AAC is a relevant football conference. I rarely even hear ACC or SEC fans disparage it any more.

Edit: to Whaler’s point. Houston paid. Money talks. Still, Holgorsen had to leave a respectable P5 school to take the Houston job. He wasn’t scared of a “demotion”.

Reaction Score
We will find out who is a better judge of Dana H - I’d bet WVU but I guess we’ll see.

He’s always been an enigma. He’s a good OC but as a head coach I’m torn. He’ll recruit well at Houston and should put up points so I’d think he’ll do pretty well. This is one of those rare situations where both Houston and WVU might wind up better off. I don’t think WVU will regret this unless they make a dumb hire.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Great state to recruit in, but they are what at best the fifth or sixth best school in area. Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and TCU. Yes I know Oklahoma isn't in the in Texas but many of their players are.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Dana looks like a guy that needs the red bull in his hand to recharge after another late night in Vegas.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Inching closer to that uncomfortable moment when a kid at UH realizes he needs to play well today to make his coach happy and to make Tilman happy. "Tilman says..." is coming...

Reaction Score
I'll be curious if Houston will be ok with 10-2 seasons. Will they be ok with going 12-0 and not making the CFB playoffs? I feel like they have crazy, unrealistic expectations at that school. They need to realize they are still a G5 school and just looking at UCF, you're best hope is a NY6 bowl. While that is a good result, it seems like Houston, and their big donor, expect more.
You're deluded because you've been following our loser program for too long. What Houston is doing is awesome, what UConn is doing is pathetic.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Much like I wouldn’t hire Matt Patricia to change the oil in my car just looking at Holgerson makes him a pass for me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I can see why you liked Diaco so much...

How anyone listens to anything Diaco says and thinks to themselves... I’d like to have this guy around...

Reaction Score
Great state to recruit in, but they are what at best the fifth or sixth best school in area. Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and TCU. Yes I know Oklahoma isn't in the in Texas but many of their players are.
In Houston, likely add the popularity of LSU and possibly even OK State ahead of Houston CC and the relatively small TCU (9K students)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom