Happy for the win, but offensive playcalling... | The Boneyard

Happy for the win, but offensive playcalling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was it just me or did anyone else feel like our OC was making calls that stumped our offense at HORRIBLE times yesterday...1st and goal at the one... No consideration of running the ball (smash mouth style ) after the first dive play to McCombs... and, IMO the worst playcallng occurred on our 2nd to last offensive possession of the game after the Sio Moore INT... RUN THE BALL!!!!... Not only that, RUN THE CLOCK DOWN TO THE ABSOLUTE LAST 5 SECONDS AFTER EACH PLAY... Those were on DeLeone IMO....

Reaction Score
We didn't score an offensive td, so I might need my head examined, but absent the ridiculous decision not to kneel at the end of the game, I liked the playcalling. It was clear to me, more than any other game, how Deleone wants the offense to work. TOugh inside running, with short/intermediate passes. The one thing I would criticize is why not run the fly sweep more with Kash/Williams? It was being set up perfectly.

Reaction Score
i almost had a stroke on that possession. they could have given the ball up with ~2 fewer minutes on the clock if they had used the game clock effectively - even on the punt, they snapped the ball w/ something like 20 seconds on the clock. and that time almost came back to haunt them. if they didn't get a first down on their last possession, Uconn is punting the ball deep w/in their territory w/ time on the clock. is this bad coaching, or is there a reason for not slowing the game down at the end?

Reaction Score
i almost had a stroke on that possession. they could have given the ball up with ~2 fewer minutes on the clock if they had used the game clock effectively - even on the punt, they snapped the ball w/ something like 20 seconds on the clock. and that time almost came back to haunt them. if they didn't get a first down on their last possession, Uconn is punting the ball deep w/in their territory w/ time on the clock. is this bad coaching, or is there a reason for not slowing the game down at the end?

That was a poor coaching decision, period. And it was clear to me when watching the replay this morning that it was all DeLeone. Coach P looked like he was going to give himself a heart attack the way he was screaming into the head set.

Reaction Score

That's gotta be BAD COACHING.... The coaches determine that (clock management late in games)... NOT the players...

Reaction Score
Was it just me or did anyone else feel like our OC was making calls that stumped our offense at HORRIBLE times yesterday...1st and goal at the one... No consideration of running the ball (smash mouth style ) after the first dive play to McCombs... and, IMO the worst playcallng occurred on our 2nd to last offensive possession of the game after the Sio Moore INT... RUN THE BALL!!!!... Not only that, RUN THE CLOCK DOWN TO THE ABSOLUTE LAST 5 SECONDS AFTER EACH PLAY... Those were on DeLeone IMO....

I notice that a lot of college teams do not run the clock down in those situations. Don't know why, but I see it everywhere. Situational football.

Reaction Score
My only beef with the playcalling was the sequence of plays called inside the 5. To have Johnny McEntee run a QB draw from the 4 has to be one of the worst play calls all year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For most of this season I've believed that our offensive and defensive coachiing staffs have been out thinking themselves. We try too often to do something fancy when the best move would be to just line up and make the opponent try to outplay us.

Reaction Score
My only beef with the playcalling was the sequence of plays called inside the 5. To have Johnny McEntee run a QB draw from the 4 has to be one of the worst play calls all year.

I am convinced that I am faster than Johnny McEntee. Most qb's could have ran that in, he saw a defender cut (which appeared to take him 30 seconds), and could not accelerate off the cut. A speedy (or even slow) qb he is not.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't really get the criticism here. The RB went for 130 yards. Considering the QB play, that's pretty good.

Reaction Score
I thought we should have tried at least one play action pass when we had it at the 1 yard line. Also, I don't understand why we go to 5 WR sets when the o-line can not block at all. But other than that I thought the play calling was OK.

Reaction Score
I'm not gunna go crazy about the QB draw, bc if it works, the play is genius. Yes he's slow, but nobody in the stadium was expecting that. He didn't get in the endzone, so it looks like a brutal call trying to run it in like that with a QB who may run slower than some lineman.

My bigger concern was the clock management. That has to be corrected, bc this team is not good enough where we can be just giving time away to the opposition. We lucked out yesterday, but against Pitt or Cincy, we likely would have been burned by that.

Reaction Score
I thought we should have tried at least one play action pass when we had it at the 1 yard line. Also, I don't understand why we go to 5 WR sets when the o-line can not block at all. But other than that I thought the play calling was OK.

Hinkley out of backfield!!!

Reaction Score
With the pass rush becoming such an obvious defense against us you'd think we'd turn it to our advantage and call some screens and draw plays. One screen pass that was thrown on a flat trajectory was batted down yesterday. And the goal line could have used a quick hitter by the fullback.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nos, our starting QB is incapable of throwing a screen pass.

Reaction Score
Have you seen the "blocking" on some of those screens? It was the worst I've ever sen since pop-warner. Even we knew to hold the rusher up a bit and direct the him away from the action. After that shield or look for someone to hit in the next level (the nearest guy would be just fine) and HOLD YOUR BLOCK! Some guys never hit anyone!

JM really needs to get his head together and just work on checking at the line and better managing the offense, but the blocking is totally unacceptable. He shouldn't have to throw over guys coming in untouched, but that seems to be the rule instead of the exception.

Reaction Score
Don't really get the criticism here. The RB went for 130 yards. Considering the QB play, that's pretty good.

If we keep giving him 35 carries a game, he'll keep running for 100+ yards a game.

The criticism will stop when the offense scores a touchdown.

Reaction Score
no it won't Sean, people will find something to complain about in any situation.

Reaction Score
BTW just as an example I went up to the men's soccer game after the football game yesterday, got there at halftime, they were playing really well in the second half, really dominating the possesion time, got a really weird goal where no one could really see who hit it in, old cranky SOB's around me could only comment on how it wasn't a "pretty" goal we need a "pretty" goal too much talent to not get a "pretty" goal.

Point being they couldn't be happy with the fact that they were winning and did win, remained undefeated and number 1 in the country, the way they did it wasn't good enough for them. Same situation for our football team, too many armchair qb's and coaches who think they know better than the guys who have been doing it their whole lives, and whiners who complain about winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom