Happy Feet | The Boneyard

Happy Feet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After reading people accuse Whitmer of standing in the pocket too long, and having happy feet, in the same damn thread. I decided to review the sacks from today (available on espn.go.com). Unfortunately we can't see what Whitmer sees (or doesn't) downfield. Here are my thoughts, followed by the play.

1) I see our slot receiver running a quick route, and he's open, and Whitmer wants to throw him the ball. But the OLB is blitzing off the edge in the passing lane. Whitmer is left trying to force the ball over him (risking a pick) or breaking away. There's no time for a check down, the blitzed is coming in unblocked. There's also another defender coming off his outside edge, limiting his options. I don't see happy feet here.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11517734

2) Here I see Whitmer take a four step drop, and looks like he wants to throw it. Was someone open? Not sure. What is obvious is the DE beating the RT and forcing Whitmer to make a decision. I don't see enough time for him to look at a check down, or even come off his first option. Maybe he should have made the throw, we need another angle. But he didn't stand in the pocket too long, he only had time to look at his first option.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11517852

3) This next one is difficult to dissect. The ball is snapped at :04. At :06 one CB is looking at Whitmer waiting for the ball, the other one appeared to be in good position to make a play. I think Whitmer was looking for Davis here. By :07 Mateas has been pushed right into the lane Whitmer was trying to throw it. There was an opening to the right for a split second. But by :08 the DE came off the LT and sacks Whitmer.

Whitmer misses Marriner running across the middle here. But Mateas had been pushed right into his face, after his first option (or two?) were taken away. Whitmer should know he's going to be there and should be looking for it. But I'm not sure he could have gotten him the ball anyway because he had no space to set himself and throw the ball.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11518082

4) Two words: total breakdown.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11518118

5) This sack happens within three seconds. You can't see the receivers when he's sacked. You could argue the ball needs to be out quicker than 3 seconds, but the receivers didn't seem to be running any quick routes, and 2 seconds isn't exactly standing in the pocket all day.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11518191

6) People will probably say Whitmer has happy feet on this one. I can see why. But I see Boise St. rush 4. 2 of them get to Whitmer. We had 6 guys in to protect Whitmer against 4 guys rushing the QB and 2 of them get Whitmer. Was he nervous in the pocket? Yeah. Why? It was collapsing due to the stunts, and the defense dropped 7 guys into coverage on 3 receivers. We can't see if any are open, but we can count and the numbers were not in our favor. Whitmer's fault? Not what I see.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11518577

7) I see Whitmer drop back, he has a split second to make a throw. None of the receivers in the screen are open, he steps up into the pocket which is exactly what he should do, and he gets sacked from the side. Another breakdown in blocking.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11518678

Happy feet? Staying in the pocket too long? That's not what I see. I see coverage sacks, breakdowns, a perfectly called blitz, and guys just getting beat. But Diaco is right, we're young at the OL so we can hope they improve with time and experience.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whitmer has gotten a raw deal. He's played behind terrible lines his entire career.

He stepped up today and played pretty well. He'll never win in the court of public opinion but he isn't nearly as bad as he's been made out to be.

Reaction Score
This thread will either get ignored, or I will be told why I shouldn't believe my lying eyes.

Reaction Score
This line sucks, period! They may be getting better slowly but -15 yards rushing in the first half!!???? Really??? Whitmer takes his life in his hands every time he takes a snap behind this line.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Whitmer has gotten a raw deal. He's played behind terrible lines his entire career.

He stepped up today and played pretty well. He'll never win in the court of public opinion but he isn't nearly as bad as he's been made out to be.

This. A million times this.

And the best part is that I can't figure out for the life of me why that is. It's not often that you see the fanbase rally against a player to the degree that they are rallying against Whitmer. Mind-boggling...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Whitmer wasn't our problem today. I'd say that turnovers (today's weren't all on Whitmer), pass protection and Obi are the top concerns that I have after today and all 3 games.

Reaction Score
Casey played behind the same line and took very few sacks.

Whitmer is slow to get the ball out, slow to find his check downs and consistently targets guys who are covered while failing to see guys who are open.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Which sack did he hold onto the ball too long or scramble too early? What did I miss?
You need to look at the overall game, not just those separate plays. Personally I'm not going to go back and watch every sack just for the sake of this argument

Reaction Score

And the best part is that I can't figure out for the life of me why that is. It's not often that you see the fanbase rally against a player to the degree that they are rallying against Whitmer. Mind-boggling...

He was 4 for 4 in passing to start the game until FOX of course drops #5!!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
You need to look at the overall game, not just those separate plays. Personally I'm not going to go back and watch every sack just for the sake of this argument

You're telling me my eyes are deceiving me. Telling me I need to look at the overall game.

And telling me you're refusing to watch the sacks.

Okay. :rolleyes:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
http://www.accidentalcreative.com/teams/toxic-dealing-with-a-culture-of-blame/

If only we could fix everything by replacing the QB. Then we can all get back to celebrating by be-littling our conference championships.

The other thing I hate about this "Blame Whitmer" campaign is that it puts an incredible amount of pressure on Boyle. People expect him to come in and to automatically fix everything that ails us (just like they did last year). When he can't, they say he must "suck" too, and then we go around and around again on this "suck carousel". Extremely unfair, and extremely inaccurate...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It's pretty obvious. People who have no idea what they are looking at blame the quarterback.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you watched that game and weren't a bit surprised how well Whitmer played... I don't have any idea what you've been watching the last 2+ years.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You're telling me my eyes are deceiving me. Telling me I need to look at the overall game.

And telling me you're refusing to watch the sacks.

Okay. :rolleyes:
I'm telling you your eyes are deceiving you because if you watched, Whitmer played a good game. If you can't see that, I don't know how I can convince you. The sacks are on him and the oline

Reaction Score
Casey played behind the same line and took very few sacks.

Whitmer is slow to get the ball out, slow to find his check downs and consistently targets guys who are covered while failing to see guys who are open.

There are 7 sacks up top. Which one are you talking about specifically?

Reaction Score
I'm telling you your eyes are deceiving you because if you watched, Whitmer played a good game. If you can't see that, I don't know how I can convince you. The sacks are on him and the oline

Whitmer played a good game. Absolutely. He, and a great run defense, were the only reasons we were in that game before the first INT.

Which sacks are on him? I've taken the time to put them all in one spot for you. Just click on each link and watch. Tell me which ones are on him.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Whitmer played a good game. Absolutely. He, and a great run defense, were the only reasons we were in that game before the first INT.

Which sacks are on him? I've taken the time to put them all in one spot for you. Just click on each link and watch. Tell me which ones are on him.

Are you telling me that you are trying to win an argument on The Boneyard with video evidence??? Good luck with that... ;)

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
WingU-Conn said:
There are 7 sacks up top. Which one are you talking about specifically?
It's not always the plays that result in sacks that are the issue. Immediately at any sign of trouble whitmers eyes come off downfield and he starts scrambling which can lead to short or no gain plays and throwaways on the run. That said he played ok today.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

I was gonna watch them, but after 3 times of watching rg3 and justin tuck argue about subway, I don't want to do that anymore. Perhaps I should say they should have given him a check down option since the oline was playing so bad.

Reaction Score
I thought Knappe was in way over his head today and he wasn't the only one. Chandler did a lot of good things, not perfect but gave us a chance. The O-line has to get better. I knew going in Boise's speed would be an issue for our line. The first fumble was caused by an unblocked DT.

Reaction Score
It's not always the plays that result in sacks that are the issue. Immediately at any sign of trouble whitmers eyes come off downfield and he starts scrambling which can lead to short or no gain plays and throwaways on the run. That said he played ok today.

He got sacked 8 times today.

One time they rushed 4 on 6, and he got hit by 2 defenders.

What impact do you think that has on his decision making?

If he's scrambling too early on plays that don't result in sacks, what happened in the 7 videos? Surely a throw away or no gain would be better than a sack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom