Happy "Do You Believe in Miracles?" Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
35 years ago today.

4-3 over the Big Red Machine.

If you have the chance to see any of the documentaries across several different sports networks, do it.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Chin Diesel said:
35 years ago today. 4-3 over the Big Red Machine. If you have the chance to see any of the documentaries across several different sports networks, do it.

Just watched a cool 30 for 30 the other night that was completely from the Russian pov. Excellent.

Reaction Score
Just watched a cool 30 for 30 the other night that was completely from the Russian pov. Excellent.

Picked up a couple new things in the 30 for 30. Had no idea we made the Russian athletes live in a prison during the games. Never knew about the Russian coach before Tikanonov.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Do you have a list of which ones are on and at what time?

No, but ESPN Classic ran several yesterday and supposedly NBC is running some specials today. There was a big reunion recently up at Lake Placid with both US and Soviet players invited.

Reaction Score
Still remember hearing the result as a kid. It was all over the military base in San Antonio. No one believed it as we watched it happen that night. Still the greatest sporting event I've ever watched

Reaction Score
Still remember hearing the result as a kid. It was all over the military base in San Antonio. No one believed it as we watched it happen that night. Still the greatest sporting event I've ever watched
And you thought this was a thread about Providence making a Final Four....

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I remember that day so well, the game wasn't on live as so many Olympic events weren't then, news started traveling and I remember Jim McKay coming on prime time and announcing the result before they showed the game which was unheard of then. The crazy thing is they show the game and even though I knew the result, I was still convinced that somehow the Russians woul score to tie in last 10 min, by far the biggest sporting event in my lifetime and just pure magic to watch through my eyes back then ( I was a 13 year old hockey player/ hockey fanatic) .

Also Pete Carrolls blunder this past Super Bowl pales in comparison to victor Tikhonov pulling Tretiak after one period. Worst coaching panic ever.

Reaction Score
And you thought this was a thread about Providence making a Final Four....
Actually, at first I thought it was a thread talking about a UCONN getting invited to a real athletic conference...

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Remember it like it was yesterday. I was living in Brock Hall (6th floor) at the time. Went home that afternoon for the weekend, watched Walter Cronkite report the score at the end of the 6:30 CBS news, then watched it on ABC that night. Even though I knew how the game would come out, it was an incredible thrill. The country really needed it at the time.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I remember that day so well, the game wasn't on live as so many Olympic events weren't then, news started traveling and I remember Jim McKay coming on prime time and announcing the result before they showed the game which was unheard of then. The crazy thing is they show the game and even though I knew the result, I was still convinced that somehow the Russians woul score to tie in last 10 min, by far the biggest sporting event in my lifetime and just pure magic to watch through my eyes back then ( I was a 13 year old hockey player/ hockey fanatic) .

Also Pete Carrolls blunder this past Super Bowl pales in comparison to victor Tikhonov pulling Tretiak after one period. Worst coaching panic ever.
"We just put the best goalie in the world on the BENCH."

Reaction Score
Actually, at first I thought it was a thread talking about a UCONN getting invited to a real athletic conference...

Yeah we should be in the conference with the same programs we carried the banner for the last 25 years :rolleyes:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Picked up a couple new things in the 30 for 30. Had no idea we made the Russian athletes live in a prison during the games. Never knew about the Russian coach before Tikanonov.
All athletes (including ours) lived in what became a prison after the olympics. The way things worked back then, a housing complex (olympic village) had to have some purpose after the two weeks of olympic games ended. The state of NY wanted to build a new correctional facility at approximately the same time the Lake Placid Organizing Committee needed funds for athletic dormitories. This was the solution.

While I did know about Tarasov's unique training methods, there was quite a bit about his development of the Soviet style that I did not know until the 30 for 30. I also did not realize that Karlamov's fatal car accident was one day after getting booted from the national team.

One thing that most do not realize is that while many realized that it was an epic upset, a very small portion of the US general public had any cue as to how superior the Soviets were. If that game was played 1,000 times, there would be five that would still be competitive with 25 minutes left and that one would be the only one that the US would win.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
[QUOTE=" If that game was played 1,000 times, there would be five that would still be competitive with 25 minutes left and that one would be the only one that the US would win.[/QUOTE]
Not this game. Not tonight.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
All athletes (including ours) lived in what became a prison after the olympics. The way things worked back then, a housing complex (olympic village) had to have some purpose after the two weeks of olympic games ended. The state of NY wanted to build a new correctional facility at approximately the same time the Lake Placid Organizing Committee needed funds for athletic dormitories. This was the solution.

While I did know about Tarasov's unique training methods, there was quite a bit about his development of the Soviet style that I did not know until the 30 for 30. I also did not realize that Karlamov's fatal car accident was one day after getting booted from the national team.

One thing that most do not realize is that while many realized that it was an epic upset, a very small portion of the US general public had any cue as to how superior the Soviets were. If that game was played 1,000 times, there would be five that would still be competitive with 25 minutes left and that one would be the only one that the US would win.

Tarasov's training methods were right out of Rocky IV. The 30 for 30 did an exceptional job of humanizing the Soviet team. It would have been very easy to make it a good vs. evil documentary and it probably still would've been good.

I remember watching the game. Looking back on it, I don't have any memory of it being on tape delay. It's the second oldest sporting event memory I have. The oldest one is Bucky Dent in 1978.

When I see documentaries like this I do feel sorry for those who weren't around to see it and experience it live.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Tarasov's training methods were right out of Rocky IV. The 30 for 30 did an exceptional job of humanizing the Soviet team. It would have been very easy to make it a good vs. evil documentary and it probably still would've been good.

I remember watching the game. Looking back on it, I don't have any memory of it being on tape delay. It's the second oldest sporting event memory I have. The oldest one is Bucky Dent in 1978.

When I see documentaries like this I do feel sorry for those who weren't around to see it and experience it live.
It was on tape delay. The game was played at 4PM, and shown at 8PM. Jim McKay introduced that night's show by saying something like "we know many of you already are aware of the final score, but we're going to show the game as if you don't." I can't imagine may people tuning in that night DIDN'T know the score.

Reaction Score
Yep....only Canadian TV showed it live so only some U.S. people in upstate NY saw it live.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
[QUOTE=" If that game was played 1,000 times, there would be five that would still be competitive with 25 minutes left and that one would be the only one that the US would win.
Not this game. Not tonight.[/QUOTE]

[Screw] 'em!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Yeah, but think of all the great games they will get to see after our old asses are dead. They win. ;)

Reaction Score
I will never forget that night....Played indoors at Farmington Farms Racket Club and the game was on a small TV in the lounge when we got off the courts. It's one of those "I will never forget where I was when..." events.....the space shuttle explosions, initial bombing of Iraq in '91, John Lennon's murder....

Oh, and 77-74. :)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It was on tape delay. The game was played at 4PM, and shown at 8PM. Jim McKay introduced that night's show by saying something like "we know many of you already are aware of the final score, but we're going to show the game as if you don't." I can't imagine may people tuning in that night DIDN'T know the score.

I read or heard that today. I was MUCH younger than some of you in 1980 and really didn't have much of a concept of live versus tape delay.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah, but think of all the great games they will get to see after our old asses are dead. They win. ;)

No guarantees of the future. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush (depending on the bush of course. If the bushes belongs to Ginger and Mary Ann, then I'm going with bush. Otherwise, the allegory stands).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom