Happy 82nd birthday | The Boneyard

Happy 82nd birthday

Reaction Score
Happy birthday to the man who built it all and the most important hire ever for the state of Connecticut.

download (5).jpeg

Reaction Score
One weird underrated post-script for his career is his time at USJ. He did an amazing job positioning them for success in D3, even though he was only there a few seasons. They were 25-5 this year, and 29-2 last year. It's a little surreal going to a game there, with their court named after him.

Happy birthday Coach!

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
One weird underrated post-script for his career is his time at USJ. He did an amazing job positioning them for success in D3, even though he was only there a few seasons. They were 25-5 this year, and 29-2 last year. It's a little surreal going to a game there, with their court named after him.

Happy birthday Coach!
Don't overlook Glen Miller and his course catalogs

Reaction Score
Happy Birthday Coach- greatest coach in college basketball history!!
I dont know about best coach ever but he is without a doubt the architect of the greatest program build of any sport in college sports history. Its not even a debate. He is directly responsible for 3 national titles and has his fingerprints on 3 others.

Reaction Score
STILL doesn’t get his due. We are all biased, but objectively no one can say he’s not the best program builder of all time. I mean, look what we were, now look what we are.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I have a pretty long memory. I remember my freshman year in college, Mark Aguirre, cleary the top freshman in the country that year took a non-descript DePaul team to the final four. That same year, arguably the second best freshman in the country that year, who was a similar (slightly taller) size and had a similar game, Corny Thompson, took us to the tournament (sadly we lost to Cuse), giving me reason to believe we could make a reasonably deep run during my college years. Sadly, not only did we not make it back in any of the following three seasons, once the freshman classe of 77-78 exhausted their eligibility, the men's basketball program hit the skids to the point where there were a decent number of newspaper articles questioning if we should leve the Big East and move to a conference where we could be competitive.

Prior to when JC took over, the idea that in my lifetime, we would be tied for third most titles of all time and have won the most titles from my freshman year forward (we are one ahead of both UNC & Duke in that time frame and well ahead of all others) would have been (no exaggeration or hyperbole) a more ridiculous thought than today believing that in a couple of decades our football program will have multiple national titles under its belt.

When JC said "It's doable" when asked if UConn could compete with the best programs in the country, nobody who followed the sport would have viewed it as possible. We are where we are entirely due to the effort, the determination and the will of this man. He started with a pile of rubble and built an empire. We are all indebted to him.

Reaction Score
We are all on the Yard because of him. HBD Coach! Thank you for building the best program in college basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom