Happy 77-74! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Happy 77-74!

Reaction Score
oh hell yeah. I always remember March 29 every year because of this championship. I was at the game in Tropicana Field-it was a raucous atmosphere. Everyone was treating me like I won the championship when I was at the Holiday Inn that night. That hotel was full of Michigan State fans and they were super happy that UConn beat Duke that night.
Which Holiday Inn? I was in Clearwater and it was all UConn and MSU fans.

Reaction Score
Which Holiday Inn? I was in Clearwater and it was all UConn and MSU fans.
Yes that’s the one. It was technically in Clearwater. There was a Waffle House that was attached to it. I noticed some UConn fans, but I noticed a lot more MSU fans. Even the MSU cheerleaders stayed at that Holiday Inn.

Reaction Score
Far and away the best feeling ever. Especially because it was Dook and they were so heavily favored. God that was awesome!!!

that’s it. that Duke team, in retrospect, had a ton of talent - brand, battier, magette and really good college players like Chris Carrawell and Avery, but the narrative was that they were unbeatable. I was nervous going in and when it finally dawned on me that they were going to win it was the most indescribable elation I’ve felt as a sports fan.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
I was so happy my mom let me stay up and watch the game. My step-dad at the time(d - bag) was always critical of JC. "He can't win the big one" "always chokes" etc etc. Of course after JC won number three he was calling him the greatest coach of all time. I remember the next day at school a lot of us were snoozing on our desks lol. Thanks Mom!

Reaction Score
Never understood why Duke was such a big favorite. I told everyone we would win. Best offensive player, best defensive player, deepest bench and the best coach. Seemed obvious to me.

Reaction Score
Never understood why Duke was such a big favorite. I told everyone we would win. Best offensive player, best defensive player, deepest bench and the best coach. Seemed obvious to me.
They had an enormous margin of victory that year in a weak ACC and Brand was the national player of the year. I think UConn was #1 preseason in more polls than Duke and they split the season as #1, common opponents were Notre Dame who they both blew out and St. John's who UConn beat in a close one and then a blowout, Duke beat them in overtime. Somehow Duke was talked about as the best college team ever and were 10 point favorites. Two of the best teams of the last 25 years, I take UConn 6 possibly 7 times out of 10.

Reaction Score
Yes that’s the one. It was technically in Clearwater. There was a Waffle House that was attached to it. I noticed some UConn fans, but I noticed a lot more MSU fans. Even the MSU cheerleaders stayed at that Holiday Inn.
Yup, that is where I stayed. Were you in the hotel bar Saturday night after we beat Ohio St? Great times! UConn fans took over the place.

Reaction Score
The morning/day after I had smile that just couldn't be removed all day. Had a bounce in my step, and kept repeating "that wasn't an upset!".

Now imagine if my wife had seen my day long smile, wider and lasting longer than our wedding day. Kinda shameful, but certainly enjoyable and unapologetic.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The 2004 ALCS was great but I doubt I'll ever have another feeling as a sports fan quite like the feeling I had when Langdon fell and I realized they were actually going to win. Holy ____ what a moment.
I’m a bigger Connecticut fan than I am about Bosox fan, but winning that World Series was incredibly emotional for me. It was like the weight of the world was lifted. I can’t say it was more than 1999, but it was pretty close.

Reaction Score
My buddy and I were in the nose bleed section sitting among a group of Dukies. One of the great moments in my life (my wife doesn't read the Boneyard).

Reaction Score
Yup, that is where I stayed. Were you in the hotel bar Saturday night after we beat Ohio St? Great times! UConn fans took over the place.
I wasn't in the hotel after UConn beat Ohio State-I was at Tropicana Field for the Duke-Mich St game. I got back to the hotel very late after the Duke-Mich St game. I hung out with the Mich St students through most o the night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom