Happy 77-74! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Happy 77-74!

Reaction Score
Not to overstate it's importance, but, honestly, can you think of a sports moment that affected you and brought you more joy than that one night in 1999? Personally, it means more to me than the Miracle on Ice, and that's saying something. I will never forget where I was, who I was with, or the sheer joy I felt when Langdon fell to the floor and it was over. I have goosbumps just thinking about it.
Greatest sporting event in my life and nothing comes close.

Reaction Score
Watching JC and Ricky's press conference made me want to post this......

RIP Joe McGinn. For the newbies here, google Joe McGinn and you'll see why JC left a strand of net on the rim in 1999.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 8.59.00 PM.png

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not to overstate it's importance, but, honestly, can you think of a sports moment that affected you and brought you more joy than that one night in 1999? Personally, it means more to me than the Miracle on Ice, and that's saying something. I will never forget where I was, who I was with, or the sheer joy I felt when Langdon fell to the floor and it was over. I have goosbumps just thinking about it.
Bosox in 2004 is right up there as well.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I don’t think they were overrated. That Dook team was really, really good. Blew out almost everyone they played. But we won and were every bit as good. UConn and Dook were definitely the two best teams that year by quite a bit. So happy we beat THEM for our first title
Naaaah...the ACC was crap that season. Only 3 ACC teams made the tournament, and only Duke survived the first weekend.

UConn and Duke had four common opponents that year, and UConn beat all four by more than Duke did.

Reaction Score
SomeGuy picked Duke
At least he thought it would be very close. I'm looking at you Pat Forde and Lean Robbins, just to name 2.

Looking at that list of predictions reminds me of what happened before the game. My friends and I were hanging out at Ferg's, a sports bar near Tropicana Field, before the game and they were broadcasting a national sports radio show from there (don't remember who it was). We were standing next to their set and the host says Duke is going to win and they just beat the second best team on Saturday already.

They go to a commercial break and we asked the guy why he said that since UConn had already beaten Michigan St. handily earlier in the season. I'm not sure he even knew that. He told us UConn was going to get killed. We said something about how he had no idea how good UConn was.

It was at that moment that it really started to hit us that almost everyone thought Duke was going to win big and that many times teams that are favored by a lot don't win. We are Giants fans and we were relating this to Super Bowl XXV when the Giants beat the favored Bills. And then it happened.

I still think about that story all the time when teams are heavily favored in big games.

Reaction Score
I have this game on my laptop. When our ISS teacher is out, I'm the one usually put in there. If I have no kids for a little period, I watch this or the Kentucky title game.

Also, a friend of a friend won tickets to the game through a radio contest. He rode in a limo with a few friends from Storrs all the way to Tampa. Then he sold the tickets (I forget if it was 4 or 6 tickets) for $16,000 and they watched the game in a bar.

Reaction Score
Still the best sports day of my life. Don’t even remember driving home for 8 hours after was so happy.
My dad could not make it down for the first game of the FF and gave me two good tickets. The prices were crazy cause all the dookies were driving the prices up.
Saw this dad and his kid in UConn gear with a sign that said “ we need a miracle” - have him and his kid the tickets and sat next to them. Kid was crying and telling his dad how awesome it was- the whole weekend was magical.

Reaction Score
I watched this game last evening with my 21 y o son who was 3 months old when it occurred. First time I have watched it over all those years. We totally enjoyed it!

What struck me most, aside from the shear joy of the win, was the very strong efforts of the bench players: Suliman, Morning, Saunders and Jones. I honestly do not remember any of them playing such major roles in getting this win. Add to that Rip's clutch shooting, Ricky's best game of his career, KEA's poise despite not having one of his best games, Freeman's intensity and the team's overall defense, it was a superb team effort that every Husky player should watch and emulate.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was driving on I-75 listening to Sporting News Radio and the guy is saying, "Someone, anyone tell me why UConn has a chance." I pulled off into a truck stop and went to a pay phone. When I got through, I told him "three reasons why UConn will win." I forgot one but the other two were "you ask who's going to stop Brand, I say who will stop Hamilton and El-Amin" and "In Calhoun we trust, I don't know what the plan is but he will have a winning plan." I hoped the guy remembered me.

Reaction Score
We flew back to Hartford with a stop in Raleigh and I was fully prepared to talk some trash. Instead we were greeted like conquering heroes. Turns out most of the people in N Carolina are UNC fans and they hate Duke as much if not more than we do.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
KEA's poise despite not having one of his best games
Never forget him sticking it in Elton Brands face with a minute left. I'm sorry but CV ain't making that shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom