Happy 14th Birthday, 77-74! | The Boneyard

Happy 14th Birthday, 77-74!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They finally made it a holiday, like I've been suggesting for years. Oh, sure, some will say it is for Easter Weekend, but we know the truth.

Still remember being curled up in a ball on the floor of my apartment, with an actual land line telephone, watching the final seconds with my brother and my mom on different lines calling in. My mom - still a sports newbie - screamed that it was over when Ricky forced the travel. I was like, "not yet, Mom!!!!" "Oh please, mojo gods, she knows not of what she speaks. Have mercy on us." I listened to WFAN until 5 a.m. that night.

To this day, it remains the greatest sporting event in the history of mankind. Miracle on Ice is second - sorry, Eruzione et al, it was only a semifinal. You still had to beat Finland.

Reaction Score
I drove back from college to watch it with my pops, class of '68, who used to tell me stories about the Yankee Conference and how he never could have imagined they'd be playing Duke for a national championship.

We both watched Khalid's free throws and Rickety's stop about three inches from the TV and shrieked like women when the clock hit zero. What an unbelievable night.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It's top five on my list, but I'm old. Nothing I can think of will top Ali over Foreman. I'll put Jets SBIII and Mets 69 above 77-74 as well. A watershed event for the University no doubt, but UConn was #1 for quite a bit of that season, so while we were up against the aura of Duke, there wasn't that big a difference in talent. I expected a close game, although I also expected a heartbreaker.

Reaction Score
They finally made it a holiday, like I've been suggesting for years. Oh, sure, some will say it is for Easter Weekend, but we know the truth.

Still remember being curled up in a ball on the floor of my apartment, with an actual land line telephone, watching the final seconds with my brother and my mom on different lines calling in. My mom - still a sports newbie - screamed that it was over when Ricky forced the travel. I was like, "not yet, Mom!!!!" "Oh please, mojo gods, she knows not of what she speaks. Have mercy on us." I listened to WFAN until 5 a.m. that night.

To this day, it remains the greatest sporting event in the history of mankind. Miracle on Ice is second - sorry, Eruzione et al, it was only a semifinal. You still had to beat Finland.

Thanks for the reminder. I , too was in the fetal position with my hands over my head, like a true lunatic. Then when I realized what had happened I ran and jumped into my husband's arms ( the one with the back full of damaged discs.. dodged a bullet there). What a night that was.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I was watching it with a bunch of Coventry HS grads who happened to move into a rental house right behind a store I managed in Tahoe. About 10 of us watched the game at Mi Casa Too (now Blue Agave) in Tahoe City. We spent the evening roaming the bars of Tahoe City and doing obnoxiously loud UCONN chants in each. The loudest of the group ended up getting arrested for drunk in public for screaming at a Placer County Sheriff's deputy telling him if he wasn't a UCONN fan, he wasn't s hit. Good times.

ps. I wasn't the one who got arrested thank goodness.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I just so happen to be in the St. Pete area today and just so happened to be driving by The Trop.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364580536.154031.jpg

77-74!!!

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
About 4 minutes left, Rip hit the 3 that put us up by 5, and Souleymane Wane on the bench sort of collapsed and looked at the floor as if to say, This might actually be happening.

That was me the whole game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#