Hank Hughes | The Boneyard

Hank Hughes

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Can you guys take this dude back?? He took a top 20 defense and dropped us all the way to 124. Was he ever good at UConn?

Reaction Score
Diaco isn't looking for anyone, but he was a very good coach for us.

Specialized in DL and helped coach up 2-3 future NFL D-lineman. Had UConn's defense consistently in the top 25 rushing defenses. I don't know what's going on at Cincy, maybe the players aren't buying in to his schemes, but he's a good coach. UConn was built on defense (especially stopping the run) and running the ball. Check out his resume at UConn. http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hughes_hank00.html

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Success is often cyclical, it might be time for a downturn for Cincy after a nice run.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Success is often cyclical, it might be time for a downturn for Cincy after a nice run.
Tuberville is going to ruin our program. Can't believe we hired this guy without an interview. Bad fit from the start, UC fans were just too blind to see it. Then he brings in this DC that has ruined our good defense.

Reaction Score
Tuberville is going to ruin our program. Can't believe we hired this guy without an interview. Bad fit from the start, UC fans were just too blind to see it. Then he brings in this DC that has ruined our good defense.
Suck it up! Misery loves company but get your's somewhere else! My heart bleeds not a drop for you or Cincy...

Reaction Score
Can you guys take this dude back?? He took a top 20 defense and dropped us all the way to 124. Was he ever good at UConn?

Maybe it's the players aren't very good.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Maybe it's the players aren't very good.
If that's not the case in Storrs, why should that be the case in Cincy.

Yes, Tuberville is a terrible coach. His entire career coaching is meaningless -- he's now a terrible coach. It can't be that he doesn't have players.
Translating the difficult legal language of businesslawyer to laymen's language: Funny Jimmy that you apply one standard to Cincy and another to UConn.

Reaction Score
Hughes had several O-line NFL draft picks in his time at UConn. Cody Brown, Kendall Reyes, Trevardo Williams, a few others.

I wonder, maybe we can do a trade. You take Diaco's contract, we'll take Hank Hughes's.

Reaction Score
Translating the difficult legal language of businesslawyer to laymen's language: Funny Jimmy that you apply one standard to Cincy and another to UConn.

Uh, that would be an incorrect assumption. I am not one of the guys who has screamed at the top of my lungs that this team was talented. Quite the contrary. But that doesn't mean I can't knock some of the decisions Diaco has made.

Reaction Score
Hughes had several O-line NFL draft picks in his time at UConn. Cody Brown, Kendall Reyes, Trevardo Williams, a few others.

I wonder, maybe we can do a trade. You take Diaco's contract, we'll take Hank Hughes's.

Cincy can keep Hank Hughes and his play prevent every down. Hughes was a great Dline coach, but as a DC he was never that good.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Uh, that would be an incorrect assumption. I am not one of the guys who has screamed at the top of my lungs that this team was talented. Quite the contrary. But that doesn't mean I can't knock some of the decisions Diaco has made.
I have no problems with criticism.. I don't lurk this forum as much as the men's bb forum but I perceive you to be a rational poster. I just don't get your frustration with Diaco over the QB situation. Foley has proven himself to be a great offensive line coach. He was the one known this season regarding the coaching staff. The offensive line has been abysmal. It's a young and inexperienced group and maybe doesn't have the talent to be efficient. They are unable to create openings for the running backs and unable to offer pass protection. Casey was the only chance to negate those weaknesses and he was only moderately good at doing that. His career ending injury made a bad situation horrible.

The offense was bad last season. People were hoping that the bad play was due to bad coaching. Perhaps it was bad coaching and bad personnel. The only way we'll know if Diaco is bad at coaching an offense is to allow the process to continue until he has the players he recruited on the field. That isn't an easy task for fans. I understand the short leash any coach gets after years of frustration with a previous coach. If Diaco is a bad coach the cycle will play out for another 3-4 years only to begin again. All of us supporting the football program have this fear. Knowing this, it becomes important for all of us to keep our spirits up during these really bad times. Because the alternative is to prematurely dismiss coaches before they have a chance to fully implement their stamp with the team, and that is a much worse cycle of approaching a turn around than being moderately patient.

Reaction Score
I have no problems with criticism.. I don't lurk this forum as much as the men's bb forum but I perceive you to be a rational poster. I just don't get your frustration with Diaco over the QB situation. Foley has proven himself to be a great offensive line coach. He was the one known this season regarding the coaching staff. The offensive line has been abysmal. It's a young and inexperienced group and maybe doesn't have the talent to be efficient. They are unable to create openings for the running backs and unable to offer pass protection. Casey was the only chance to negate those weaknesses and he was only moderately good at doing that. His career ending injury made a bad situation horrible.

The offense was bad last season. People were hoping that the bad play was due to bad coaching. Perhaps it was bad coaching and bad personnel. The only way we'll know if Diaco is bad at coaching an offense is to allow the process to continue until he has the players he recruited on the field. That isn't an easy task for fans. I understand the short leash any coach gets after years of frustration with a previous coach. If Diaco is a bad coach the cycle will play out for another 3-4 years only to begin again. All of us supporting the football program have this fear. Knowing this, it becomes important for all of us to keep our spirits up during these really bad times. Because the alternative is to prematurely dismiss coaches before they have a chance to fully implement their stamp with the team, and that is a much worse cycle of approaching a turn around than being moderately patient.

You are absolutely right that it it way too early to give up on a coach. He needs at least 2 years.

On the other hand, if you could tell me right now we could start again with no ramifications (guaranteed contract gone, no stigma from firing a coach early) I would jump on that deal.

Reaction Score

Yeah, I'm not sure where we disagree on much. I guess I disagree that we have to keep our spirits up, because I don't think that really matters one iota. My criticism of Diaco on the QB situation has been clear. I gave him the benefit of the doubt until I saw the BYU rotation. I thought it was completely foolish. And his handling of Boyle up to this point has been illogical. Without even getting to the circus of his injury, either play him or RS him. I'll give him until next week but if Boyle doesn't get the majority of the snaps it's just stupid. You burn the RS but don't give him enough game reps to properly develop or evaluate him. If that happens my criticism will intensify.

As far as giving Diaco time, I've said repeatedly that I'm not willing to declare him a bust and I'm willing to give him time. He may turn out to be good. But some of his decisions thus far have left me doubting that.

Reaction Score
First ... look left (*Temple) and then look right (*Memphis). Both were pretty horrid last year (and sometimes this goes back longer). Both - with new coaches (2nd year) are doing far better this campaign. Look like a Bigtime challenge for us.

I don't get upstater (or some others). This is going to take a good while. We (WE as in UCONN) have had a poor line recently. The 2006 year (we started with 4 guys who really never made it far past the 5th game on OLine) we went 4-8; but we totally turned over the OLine during the first half - ended up with both Will Beatty and Donald Thomas rising out of nowhere. You just have to trust in the process. Playcalling? YUP ... I clearly don't understand our night in Tampa. And Temple looked OK ... but no scoring. I don't think Whitmer is less talented than McEntee. Or Lorenzen. So ... that's coaching and a kid that keeps making untimely WTF plays. I think these Bye weeks are going to be telling. Once we have an OLine and a QB ... looooook out.

Reaction Score
First ... look left (*Temple) and then look right (*Memphis). Both were pretty horrid last year (and sometimes this goes back longer). Both - with new coaches (2nd year) are doing far better this campaign. Look like a Bigtime challenge for us.

I don't get upstater (or some others). This is going to take a good while. We (WE as in UCONN) have had a poor line recently. The 2006 year (we started with 4 guys who really never made it far past the 5th game on OLine) we went 4-8; but we totally turned over the OLine during the first half - ended up with both Will Beatty and Donald Thomas rising out of nowhere. You just have to trust in the process. Playcalling? YUP ... I clearly don't understand our night in Tampa. And Temple looked OK ... but no scoring. I don't think Whitmer is less talented than McEntee. Or Lorenzen. So ... that's coaching and a kid that keeps making untimely WTF plays. I think these Bye weeks are going to be telling. Once we have an OLine and a QB ... looooook out.

My hunch is just based on 4 things: the decision to platoon Cochran/Whitmer, the decision to pull Cochran during a long drive, the wacky explanation of how coaching decisions are made gameday, and the absolute refusal to stop calling long developing plays with 11 step drops on 2nd and 2.

Granted, these 4 things are not at all strong evidence of anything, and it would be absurd to base a decision on them, but I'd be lying if I said they don't give me more than a little cause for concern.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Todd Orlando was the best DC UConn ever had and in another time I would have loved to see him as a HC here.
Don Brown?

Reaction Score
Personally, I'd take Orlando.

Close call, but I'd probably agree with you, particularly given how aggressive his defenses have been at his other stops.

Hughes gets credit for what Orlando actually did -- that much seems clear given his performance when given full charge of the defense here last year and at Cincy this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom