Hank Hughes unleashed..... | The Boneyard

Hank Hughes unleashed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hank stepped up today and had a great game. Vann and Ashiru should never see our bench again.

Vann can bring it, and Ashiru had some great plays. I am feeling alot better about our linebackers now that those two play regularly.

Reaction Score
Hank stepped up today and had a great game. Vann and Ashiru should never see our bench again.
You call his soft zone schemes and no blitzes stepping up? I wasn't overly impressed by our lb's on those USF 3rd down conversions runs either. HH may be a good guy and dl coach BUT he was demoted by Edsall and after this season I remember why. He never brings pressure by blitzing lb's or db's...his corners play at least 7yds off their man and he utilizes a soft zone as his main scheme.

Reaction Score
I've been saying since Towson, that Vann and Ashiru should be playing. I think Stewart is best suited to play in the middle, and he isn't playing over Smallwood. Don't force him onto a spot on the field that he is not suited for because he is a local kid/and a four star recruit. Same with Donahue. It has been clear all year that his play is clearly a step down from what we have had from the LB position in years past. At this point we have to develop, Vann and Ashiru, and if Yawin goes pro after this year you slide Graham into the middle. Doesn't mean you can't utilize Stewart as a pass rusher out of a DE spot as well. It isn't like our pass rushers are killing like Trevardo Williams did for us.

Reaction Score
You call his soft zone schemes and no blitzes stepping up? I wasn't overly impressed by our lb's on those USF 3rd down conversions runs either. HH may be a good guy and dl coach BUT he was demoted by Edsall and after this season I remember why. He never brings pressure by blitzing lb's or db's...his corners play at least 7yds off their man and he utilizes a soft zone as his main scheme.

The soft zone led to some turnovers and we did blitz a little, it wasn't like Eveld had all day to throw. Our D gave up 6 points, Obi dropped a potential pick 6 and their running game was held in check. I'm not sure we could ask for more.

Reaction Score
The soft zone led to some turnovers and we did blitz a little, it wasn't like Eveld had all day to throw. Our D gave up 6 points, Obi dropped a potential pick 6 and their running game was held in check. I'm not sure we could ask for more.
I'm no fan if HH's schemes. Like I said before the kids played a good game..

Reaction Score
I thought his schemes were good today. Our defense blitzed quite a bit on third downs and they were successful. The only points our defense gave up were on two long field goals.

Reaction Score
Still gave up too many first downs on 3rd and at least 5.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I could be wrong but it appeared to me that the defense got more passive as the game progressed. We weren't giving the cushions early on that we were during the second half.

Reaction Score
The game winning drive was 15 plays long and went for 66 yards.

Reaction Score
The defense was terrific. How anybody can be critical of it is beyond me. With Vann and Ashiru manning the OS LB slots we finally have the speed we need to protect the edges of the field. What Donahue and Steward were doing out there over these two is beyond me. Frank is coming on a bit at DE and I think J. Williams will be a really good one. Obi dropped that INT and if he caught it clean he was probably going to hand the ball to the ref in the end zone.....happens.

Reaction Score
This style of defense could be successful but I just don't like it. I much preferred the Don Brown way of doing things.

Reaction Score
This style of defense could be successful but I just don't like it. I much preferred the Don Brown way of doing things.

I wish we could utilize both styles and keep offenses guessing. Don at times was guilty of being too aggressive and not adjusting. I think we are finding out that zone coverage leads to more interceptions, but I miss Smallwood attacking the backfield.

Reaction Score
I really like defenses that don't give up points, but maybe that's just me. Also, we blitzed a lot yesterday.

Reaction Score
The D was a C+. Linebacker play was weak. Too many gashes for big yards on 3rd downs. D line offered moderate pressure, but nothing exceptional. Could not make stops at critical juncture. I think they get better week over week.

Reaction Score
The D was a C+. Linebacker play was weak. Too many gashes for big yards on 3rd downs. D line offered moderate pressure, but nothing exceptional. Could not make stops at critical juncture. I think they get better week over week.

What is your expectation bar set at?????? Unrealistic???? Or out of this world??????? The game is all about points......and our D gave up 6! The Seattle Seahawks could have only been 6 points better than our D in that game..........Gashes for big yards?? They only amassed 228 total yards......They had 7 total plays all game that went for over 10 yards...........Our D made them look like a GDL offense.......It's not much to hang our hat on because its USF....but what else can you really do???? Do they have to score 2 tds a game too just to please you?

Reaction Score
If we play the same defense, which I don't think we will, vs Cincy that we did vs USF, we are dead in the water. There has to be stunts and blitzs and play with your hair on fire defensive calls or we will get smoked.

I saw a conservative defense vs USF because they had a 2nd string QB and a 2nd string RB. Cincy's back up QB picked up right where Munchie left off, and then some.

Calculated risks, and some screw it non calculated risks have to be taken, or it's going to be a long day.

Reaction Score
If we play the same defense, which I don't think we will, vs Cincy that we did vs USF, we are dead in the water. There has to be stunts and blitzs and play with your hair on fire defensive calls or we will get smoked.

I saw a conservative defense vs USF because they had a 2nd string QB and a 2nd string RB. Cincy's back up QB picked up right where Munchie left off, and then some.

Calculated risks, and some screw it non calculated risks have to be taken, or it's going to be a long day.

Don Brown didn't have much success vs Cincinnati. If Hughes holds them under 30 he will have done better with lesser talent.

I just re-watched the game and our D was not vanilla like it was vs Towson. Hughes mixed it up more than people realize.

Reaction Score
What is your expectation bar set at?????? Unrealistic???? Or out of this world??????? The game is all about points......and our D gave up 6! The Seattle Seahawks could have only been 6 points better than our D in that game..........Gashes for big yards?? They only amassed 228 total yards......They had 7 total plays all game that went for over 10 yards...........Our D made them look like a GDL offense.......It's not much to hang our hat on because its USF....but what else can you really do???? Do they have to score 2 tds a game too just to please you?

Easy now. We had them pinned down couple of times and let them escape. They didn't end up scoring, it affects both the clock and field position, limiting our chances - and god knows we needed all of them. Overall a good effort, but don't tell me that you didn't groan when they were 3rd and long inside their own 5 and the RB runs up the gut for like 15 yards carrying 3 of our guys the whole way. 3rd down defense wasn't great in spots. That's all I'm saying.

Reaction Score
but don't tell me that you didn't groan when they were 3rd and long inside their own 5 and the RB runs up the gut for like 15 yards carrying 3 of our guys the whole way. 3rd down defense wasn't great in spots.

That run was painful but Hughes can't tackle for them. It wasn't like Hughes called a bad defense there.

Weist should have never called timeout there with three minutes left, we didn't need the extra time with a short field and he allowed their team to catch their wind and killed our momentum with that timeout, plus he risked giving them time to score.

Reaction Score
That run was painful but Hughes can't tackle for them. It wasn't like Hughes called a bad defense there.

Weist should have never called timeout there with three minutes left, we didn't need the extra time with a short field and he allowed their team to catch their wind and killed our momentum with that timeout, plus he risked giving them time to score.

I never said it was on Hughes. I said that the defense gave up some first downs when they shouldn't have.

Reaction Score
WTF!!!!!!!!!

Is this really a thread about whether our defense played well on Saturday??????

6 duck*ing points, com'on!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not good enough for everyone. Nelson -- you know as well as anyone from your time on the cesspool, opinions are rarely changed with facts.

BL, will you be writing a "View From" this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom