Hands Up! | The Boneyard

Hands Up!

Reaction Score
Not a robbery, except maybe of UConn's opponents.

Last couple of games, I've been struck by the intensive defensive posture (literally) of the Huskies. Even when a Husky is defending way off the ball, her hands are high up. 5 sets of hands up or out--interfering with the passing lanes or sight lines. Watching the OK St-MissSt game right now, I don't see a single pair of hands up except (maybe) the ball defender.

Hands up creates maybe a couple of tips or prevents a couple of passes per game. But that's a margin. And with hands extended, Huskies are also on their toes, meaning greater explosion in the other direction on a change of possession.

Do you know how hard it is to convince a group of kids to keep their hands up even when they up by 2o or more points? Hours and hours and hours of practice...and not a little bit of yelling.....

What a team; what a coaching staff.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The secret to no yelling? I understand during practice this is played:

Now, you know I couldn't help myself @bags27.

Reaction Score

Last couple of games, I've been struck by the intensive defensive posture (literally) of the Huskies. Even when a Husky is defending way off the ball, her hands are high up. 5 sets of hands up or out--interfering with the passing lanes or sight lines. Watching the OK St-MissSt game right now, I don't see a single pair of hands up except (maybe) the ball defender.

Hands up creates maybe a couple of tips or prevents a couple of passes per game. But that's a margin. And with hands extended, Huskies are also on their toes, meaning greater explosion in the other direction on a change of possession.

Do you know how hard it is to convince a group of kids to keep their hands up even when they up by 2o or more points? Hours and hours and hours of practice...and not a little bit of yelling.....

bags27- - - It's just another aspect of digging deep into "coaching the right way" that makes UCONN's coaching staff the best in the USA!

Reaction Score
I saw Geno get really upset during the Q game. Z was closing out on a player in the corner. And she didnt put her hands up! :eek: Player hit the three and Geno was stomping around on the sideline!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Great observation. Over the weekend I was tempted to start a similar thread but was just the opposite...while watching the other games, I was in awe of the number of teams who played defense with their hands down, unless their person was attempting a shot. I guess I am spoiled by watching our kids play "D".

Reaction Score

Great post!
So darn important and so hard to make happen especially with big leads. BUT, it's part of the expectations and culture of U Conn. Part of why some play and some don't or how much you play and when!
High expectations and accountability lead to these results!
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom