Hammond said that ACC best conference - whatcha smokin girl | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hammond said that ACC best conference - whatcha smokin girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It doesn't look good for UCONN ever getting out of the AAC! The only solution that I can see is for the AAC to get stronger. Our football team is holding UCONN back from going to another conference and I don't see that changing in the near future.
As long as we have Geno it won't matter from a women's basketball perspective. Playing for Geno and being all but guaranteed a national championship during your college years pretty much trumps anything any other coach can offer.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As long as we have Geno it won't matter from a women's basketball perspective. Playing for Geno and being all but guaranteed a national championship during your college years pretty much trumps anything any other coach can offer.
100% correct. I would have "liked" the post, but as a fan of other programs . . .

To the poster above about Louisville, RU, etc. not playing UConn - if you add the words in conference you are 100% correct. RU had some very good years and won the BE tourney once. UConn won how many??? That said, I know Rutgers wants to play UConn, just do it out of conference. Looks good on the resume, "to be the best you have to play the best", yada, yada, yada.

Reaction Score
$5,000-10,000/year stipend?

Reaction Score
Not at all crazy. I would prefer B1G membership, but mostly for the $$$$. As far as wbb competition is concerned, if UConn were in the ACC, the conference would be the best by orders of magnitude.

Reaction Score
Stipends will matter a bit -- esp for kids from poorer families. But short-term monetary concerns don't drive all college decisions. If they did, no one would go to Ivy league schools.

Reaction Score
$5,000-10,000/year stipend?
It's women's basketball. The $ effect will mostly affect the men's game and football. In my opinion, anyway. It's possible UConn might miss out on some recruits, but let's look around on the team. Not many if any of those kids come from really poor backgrounds or the ghetto where $10k/yr is going to matter to them and their parents. The women are there to get an education and prepare for their pro career if they have those aspirations. Compare that to the men's side where college is basically a semi-pro league and you know they got babies and baby mommas to take care of. If one does have a pro career in mind, Geno is the best at developing talent, and easily worth forgoing $40k to be coached by the best. One might consider giving up the $40k an investment in their own career.

Reaction Score
I would love UConn to get out of the AAC but as long as we still getting top players like KLS Collier Boykins and Dangerfield it doesn't matter. We left our mark of beating any and every team we play.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Are you seriously trying to tell me that the BEast was not the best conference in 2008-09 when UConn rolled through everyone in conference play, saw six other BEast teams in the Tourney, and met Louisville in the NC game? Same thing in 2000 when UConn towered above the BEast on the way to the NC and the conference went 13-3 in the Tournament. Top-level action within a conference breeds both competitiveness and success in Tournament play.

A bunch of conference teams beating up on each other in closely competitive play can strengthen the teams if they have a high-level of proficiency, but if they're just a bunch of flawed teams reinforcing each others' weaknesses, then the teams won't be getting better and none will get to the FF, if you get where this is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom