Hamilton's NBA Comp- Draymond Green? | The Boneyard

Hamilton's NBA Comp- Draymond Green?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Heard this at a game- Daniel Hamilton's closest NBA comp is Draymond Green. I scratched my head a little about it, but they're the same height, both good rebounders, great passers for their size, and nightly threats for a triple double. Obviously Green has a lot of weight on Hamilton, but the comparison makes a lot of sense. I think with how much NBA GMs have been saying how valuable it is to find the next Draymond Green, this can only help his NBA stock. Thoughts?

caw

Reaction Score
Heard this at a game- Daniel Hamilton's closest NBA comp is Draymond Green. I scratched my head a little about it, but they're the same height, both good rebounders, great passers for their size, and nightly threats for a triple double. Obviously Green has a lot of weight on Hamilton, but the comparison makes a lot of sense. I think with how much NBA GMs have been saying how valuable it is to find the next Draymond Green, this can only help his NBA stock. Thoughts?

You mentioned one of the differences, but he also doesn't have Greens arm length. He may be the college version but I don't think he will ever get time at the five on even the worst NBA team and Green gets time at the five on maybe one of the best ever NBA teams.

Reaction Score
I guess if you think about it really hard you can find some similarities but I have a hard time imagining Hamilton rebounding at anywhere close to his current clip in a traditional NBA line up. Remember last year how abysmal the rebounding was from our bigs opening up many more chances for Hamilton. Even this year I wouldn't be surprised if his Reb's went down with the presence of Miller at the 4. Not to say he doesn't have good instincts because it's obvious he does but the extra weight and strength from Green really goes a long way in battling on the boards in the pros. Plus Green can guard pretty much any 3,4,or 5 in the league and right now and at this point I can't see that from Hamilton.

Reaction Score
They might be similar offensively. Green is an animal defensively. Watching Clips/Warriors right now, and Reggie Miller said something along the lines of, "even though the league is going smaller, there's only one Draymond Green, somebody who can play the five and switch out on point guards."

This Warriors team really is special.

Reaction Score
you're on a boat all by yourself with this one. The Warriors can go small like this because Green can guard centers in addition to damn near every other position on the floor, DHam isn't going to be able to do that.

Reaction Score
Eh i actually love this comparison. But mixed with evan turner. Hamilton doesn't have great wingspan but he is 6'8 and half, great size for a wing. at uconn i can see ham playing like green, but in the league more of an evan turner scoring/playmaking sg who picks it up on defense due to discipline + motor.

Reaction Score
Green is a million times better defensively than Hamilton and way stronger than him. Offensively, Green is a jack of all trades player and Hamilton is smoother and the more natural offensive player. I have a hard time seeing Hamilton being as good a pro as Draymond.

Reaction Score
Green is versatile but lets not say he can guard centers successfully. The good centers like Andre, Boogie, Dwight, Whiteside, Gobert, etc. would eat him alive in the paint. Obviously I'm not saying Dham would do anywhere near better but lets be honest, Draymond is a 6'6-6'7 stretch 4. He is a good passer and rebounder I'll give him that, but in my opinion he's a product of the system. Put him on a team that doesn't stretch the floor nearly as well as the Warriors and his averages would go down significantly.

Reaction Score
Green is versatile but lets not say he can guard centers successfully. The good centers like Andre, Boogie, Dwight, Whiteside, Gobert, etc. would eat him alive in the paint. Obviously I'm not saying Dham would do anywhere near better but lets be honest, Draymond is a 6'6-6'7 stretch 4. He is a good passer and rebounder I'll give him that, but in my opinion he's a product of the system. Put him on a team that doesn't stretch the floor nearly as well as the Warriors and his averages would go down significantly.
you make good points he does in fact struggle vs elite centers, but the fact remains the warriors kiss of death line up with him at the 5 is lethal.

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami 3m3 minutes ago
Warriors went to the small lineup with 6:43 left in the game, down 105-96. From there, outscored LACs 28-12.

Reaction Score

can't believe people are still trotting out this nonsense, stick Green on the Pistons next to Drummond and have him playing pick and roll with Reggie Jackson and the Pistons are probably the 2nd best team in the East. The reason why the Warriors "system" works so well is because of Green's unique skillset at the 4.

Reaction Score
you make good points he does in fact struggle vs elite centers, but the fact remains the warriors kiss of death line up with him at the 5 is lethal.

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami 3m3 minutes ago
Warriors went to the small lineup with 6:43 left in the game, down 105-96. From there, outscored LACs 28-12.
Yeah exactly, I haven't been watching the game but the way he struggles vs 6'11 center is how they would struggle against him, they can't guard him on the perimeter just like he can't guard them in the post. Don't get me wrong i think he is a very good player, but with ESPN and bleacherreport ranking him as the 17th and 13th best player in the league, he is quite overrated in my opinion

Reaction Score
can't believe people are still trotting out this nonsense, stick Green on the Pistons next to Drummond and have him playing pick and roll with Reggie Jackson and the Pistons are probably the 2nd best team in the East. The reason why the Warriors "system" works so well is because of Green's unique skillset at the 4.
green is clearly one of kind prototype 'stretch playmaking 4' who is also a dpoy candidate. Watching the pistons every game this season, wow would they be incredible with green instead of ersan or marcus morris. Green is by far the second most important player on gs sorry klay

Reaction Score
The pistons don't have shooters like Curry, Thompson and even Barnes to be honest. The Warriors are great regardless becauses of those players, im not trying to insult the guy but he would not be getting theses assist and rebound numbers on any other team in my opinion

Reaction Score
Eh i actually love this comparison. But mixed with evan turner. Hamilton doesn't have great wingspan but he is 6'8 and half, great size for a wing. at uconn i can see ham playing like green, but in the league more of an evan turner scoring/playmaking sg who picks it up on defense due to discipline + motor.

Evan Turner is always the guy I go to when NBA comps come up for Hamilton. Biggest difference between the two right now - at least as college players - is that Turner got to the line a lot more. I saw some signs in the New Hampshire game that he's beginning to develop a more aggressive mindset around the rim - hopefully he can build on it because for as good a passer as he is, you're not beating elite defenses if you shoot 40% from two and don't get to the line (and I think he will).

caw

Reaction Score
Evan Turner is always the guy I go to when NBA comps come up for Hamilton. Biggest difference between the two right now - at least as college players - is that Turner got to the line a lot more. I saw some signs in the New Hampshire game that he's beginning to develop a more aggressive mindset around the rim - hopefully he can build on it because for as good a passer as he is, you're not beating elite defenses if you shoot 40% from two and don't get to the line (and I think he will).

Honestly don't know the measurable a off the top of my head, but I think of Batum.

Reaction Score
You all brought up good points, I can admit when I have the homer goggles on and get carried away. The small ball with Green at the five is killer and not something Hamilton would be asked to do. Anyways, thought it was an interesting comparison.

Reaction Score
As others have suggested, Draymond is more of a big than Dham. For me a good comparison is Kyle Singler. Sort of an all around guy, but not a big. Another comparison may be Meta World Peace. I like that comparison less because Meta is so much bigger, but Dham has similar all around skills.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Scottie Pippen on offense right down to the inconsistent jumper. Melo on defense, both can board but are not really in love with guarding.

Reaction Score
Comparisons are fun but this one is stretching it for now. So many have mentioned the reasons why above I will hold off, but while maybe they can rebound effectively not sure there's a lot else to compare. Different players but if DHam stays in Storrs a while who knows.

Reaction Score
I think a good comparrison is Magic Johnson, obviously Hamilton isn't on that level (yet?) but he has the big body of a forward with the handle, quickness, and passing of a pg. Very similar skill set to Magic

Reaction Score
Similar but not similar enough I would say. Yes they're tall guys who can handle the ball and throw a nice pass or hit a 3 when the time is right but to me the similarity ends about there. All you need to focus on to me is the fact that he's tall and he is a triple double threat, if he keeps working hard and improving he can be a very important player to an NBA team.

I'm consistently reminded how few SFs there are that are very talented and valuable on a fantasy team

Reaction Score
I think a good comparrison is Magic Johnson, obviously Hamilton isn't on that level (yet?) but he has the big body of a forward with the handle, quickness, and passing of a pg. Very similar skill set to Magic
OK let's tap the brakes a bit. The general consensus is that Draymond is a little lofty of a comp so the natural progression is Magic...

Reaction Score
I may be all alone in this comparison I think he is more like Melo personally. His handles for his size and ability to create space and get his shot off just reminds me alot of Melo's offensive games. Not to mention he rebounds well too. The man difference obviously is weight and Melo is more of a shooter and DHam has alot better passing skills (and more willing to pass, although Melo so far this year has been a willing passer). Dham certainly doesnt look for his shot as much as Melo either, but i see alot of similarities in their games.

Reaction Score
I may be all alone in this comparison I think he is more like Melo personally. His handles for his size and ability to create space and get his shot off just reminds me alot of Melo's offensive games. Not to mention he rebounds well too. The man difference obviously is weight and Melo is more of a shooter and DHam has alot better passing skills (and more willing to pass, although Melo so far this year has been a willing passer). Dham certainly doesnt look for his shot as much as Melo either, but i see alot of similarities in their games.

the only reason I woulnd't make this comparrison is that Melo is one of the most selfish players in the game (Melo is a ball stopper, no way around it), and hamilton is the least selfish player on ours

Reaction Score
Their offensive games are VERY different. Melo spends quite a bit of time with his back to the basket, which Hamilton doesn't do, and also has a FAR better ability to get to the basket. Very different players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom